C-Section Questions

truthbtold

Reaction score
Im expecting my 4th baby and first C-Section on the 25th due to him being breech. I just have a few questions about how things go after the baby is out.

Did you DH leave your side to go be with the baby?

Is the baby cared for in the OR or moved to another area and if so does your DH follow the baby or stay with you?

Are you allowed to film the surgery?

I had an emergency c-section with my first, so unsure about filming it. It was all to rushed and sudden to even think about. Although I am curious about this too. I would LOVE to watch my own c-section. I am envious of other people seeing inside me and me not being able too haha.

As far as baby care. My son was taken for a minute, just whilst they cleared his airways and made sure he was ok. Then he was bundled in a towel and passed to his daddy who was sat next to my head, as I was stitched up.
OH and baby were taken to recovery a minute or two before me, where he was weighed, more checks were done, and he was tagged and wiped down. As soon as I joined them in he recovery room (which is a smaller glass windowed room inside the theatre) my son was passed to me for skin to skin. He stayed on me then as I was wheeled from recovery up to the ward. All in all, they spent no more than 5 or so minutes away from me right at the very beginning. And the fact he was distressed made it longer than normal.
I'm told that with a planned section, they will pull her out, clear her airways and pass her straight to me for skin to skin, where she will stay. Then it'll be like a normal birth.

I've had 3 c-sections. First two due to both girls being breech, so our little guy had to be born via c. With all of them, DH was right there with me. We have lots of pics, but no video of the actual surgery. Video after babies were "pulled out" though. Our babies never left the OR prior to me leaving. Once they were born, they were taken to clear lungs and checked (only for a few seconds really) then given right to DH to hold right next to my head. As soon as I was stitched I was able to hold them then. Our hospital is the OR in the maternity ward, so I am wheeled right back into my own private room (no recovery area). I was able to bf right away. So there was only a few minutes where I was not able to hold them immediately after birth. Its amazing how quickly they stitch you back up. We are now ttc our 4th (had a mmc June 30 at 10 weeks) and of course this will also be a c section.

Good luck and enjoy your new little one!

My OH never left my side during either section. With my first (EMCS) as soon as she was lifted out the held her above the screen so I could she she was ok, was weighed, wrapped up and handed to my OH. I way too shaky to hold her but once in recovery I had skin to skin. With my DS (ELCS) he was shown to me, weighed and then wrapped up and handed to me. I was much calmer this time. Had skin to skin and managed to breastfeed in recovery.

Filming wasn't permitted in theatre but photos could be taken of the baby.

Filming wasn't allowed of the actual surgery but they said my DH could film us behind the sheet (my head) but we didn't do this.

Once our DS was pulled out he was shown to us then taken to the warmer in the or. My DH went and took pictures of him and watched him get cleaned then after about two or three minutes brought him to me. I held him until the surgery was finished. We started bf in recovery about a half an hour later. My DH never left my side. I did tell him that if DS needed to go to nicu I would want him to stay with him. We discussed that beforehand but happily he didn't have to.

Congratulations!!

My first section I don't remember much of my dh, although I think he was with me that whole time. I remember the nurse handing my son to my dh, who showed him to me and I proclaimed he was an asshole for being so big and getting stuck (I had some nitrous oxide). I stayed in the OR for a while after though to get a cyst removed.

My second section my dh was beside me for the birth and had an unsuspecting look at my son being born (much to his dismay). They brought the baby to a corner of the OR where the nurses weighed him and wrapped him and brought him to my husband who put him to my face to kiss. Then he and my son went to the room while I was in recovery, maybe 30 minutes to an hour. But you can request them to stay with you if you like, I just hadn't thought ahead.

We didn't want any filming, but you are allowed to take in a camera, and if you tell them you want to film it, I'm sure they wouldn't have a problem if they are told ahead of time and mom and baby are safe :)

Im expecting my 4th baby and first C-Section on the 25th due to him being breech. I just have a few questions about how things go after the baby is out.

Is the baby cared for in the OR or moved to another area and if so does your DH follow the baby or stay with you?

im in the uk so rules might be different over there.

DH was with me the whole time apart from 10 minutes when he was taken to recovery room with baby whilst they moved me from the operating table to my bed then took me through too.

my baby was cared for in the OR as he was fine. DS1 (not a section but was in theatre for assisted delivery) was taken out of the room and straight to nicu once he was breathing properly and I sent DH with him as i wanted someone with him at all times.

i didnt ask about filming BUT we were allowed to take pictures of DS2 as soon as he was pulled out and afterwards :) Ive attached his very first picture.. DH wasnt the best with a camera :haha: and then his 2nd picture. :)

Attachments

• 886334_10151539845290329_1667652883_o.jpg
    886334_10151539845290329_1667652883_o.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 886163_10151539845310329_1606392725_o.jpg
    886163_10151539845310329_1606392725_o.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 5
Thanks for all the responses Im glad everythign will happen right there in the OR with me. This exerpeince is definitely going to be different.

DD: My DH and DD stayed with me the entire time. DH held DD.
DS: DS had "transition issues" and was taken to the nursery for further assessment. DH went along.

It just depends on the hospital. For both my births they would be attended to in the OR but DS had to leave and DH had to go with.

Again, varies by hospital. DD only the nurse could take pictures. DS we could take pictures but not film. I have adorable pictures of my tummy wide open with DS. :haha:

HTH honey. Hope you have a safe surgery. :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->