Caffeine question???

smiley330

Reaction score
Ok, so I was just sitting down with a coffee earlier (I have very few, especially compared to the amount I used to drink pre-pregnancy!!) and MIL asked me if I should be having it, I said yeh one is fine. . . She then said, doesn't caffeine cause ADHD - SAY WHAT????

Has anyone else heard this? MIL is a little bit ..ermmmm... clueless shall we say, when it comes to any sort of actual facts, but this one has made me stop and wonder?? Surely that can't be true??? But I could see why it might be?? Arghhhh!!

Someone tell me something!! x

I know this has been discussed extensively on other threads, but I have done my research and even the most conservative advice from reputable sources indicates that a moderate caffeine intake is fine. That's why I chose not to give it up - I still have a coffee a day, max two but never more.

People will say all kids of things, some true some not. There are all kinds of urban legends, myths, pieces of folklore, opinions, etc you'll go crazy if you let them all impact you. I know your MIL means well but my advice is to do your own research, based on what your Dr. tells you, reputable books, websites run by well-known and respected health organizations, etc. Then once your research is completed, put a moratorium on discussing/revisiting your decisions (unless some new, compelling or credible advice pops up suddenly or your condition changes).

I know this has been discussed extensively on other threads, but I have done my research and even the most conservative advice from reputable sources indicates that a moderate caffeine intake is fine. That's why I chose not to give it up - I still have a coffee a day, max two but never more.

People will say all kids of things, some true some not. There are all kinds of urban legends, myths, pieces of folklore, opinions, etc you'll go crazy if you let them all impact you. I know your MIL means well but my advice is to do your own research, based on what your Dr. tells you, reputable books, websites run by well-known and respected health organizations, etc. Then once your research is completed, put a moratorium on discussing/revisiting your decisions (unless some new, compelling or credible advice pops up suddenly or your condition changes).

Thank you! I have done a fair bit of research and listening to health professionals etc and came to the decision that I was not going to cut it out completely (hence the coffee I was having today) - there just didn't seem to be any evidence that it needed to be cut out, though I can see why some people choose to do so.

I know my MIL means well, and she is pretty dippy - it's just that what she suggested never crossed my mind! I can't really find any info to back that claim up either. So just wondering if anyone else had heard this...

You're right though, there are a lot of people who will say all kinds of things!!

Almost every source you find says that up to 200mg a day is fine. That's equivalent to 2 cups of instant coffee, or one filter coffee and a cup of tea. never mind her, she sounds like one of those people who will believe anything they hear once, from an unreliable source (no offence meant by this!).

my mother lived on black coffee when we were kids, and I will guess that she probably drank it when she was pregnant with us, I don't know what kind of pregnancy/caffeine warnings were around in the 80s?? Anyway, there are 4 of us and none of us have adhd (or much of anything really!!)!!

I drink 2 cups a day and have a few sodas. I have 4 other kids and none of them has add or adhd. My OB told me to do as I wish but to make sure I also drink tons of water or juice too because caffeine can dehydrate you. I have heard that it can make baby hyper while in your tummy but so far with Airyonna that doesn't seem to be true..lol I say do as you wish!!

Thanks girls! I knew I should have just trusted my intial thoughts on the adhd :dohh:... just one of those things that gets in your head though and makes you worry!

I shall enjoy my coffee :coffee: x

I have a travel mug of coffee everyday and maybe a pop here and there. Everything is fine :)

i have a cup of tea a day. The odd time 2. Thats a big cut down for me. Before i was pregnant i would have 4 a day.

i don't think it matters someone i know was pregnant last year and she always drank coffee she never cut it down or went to decaf - she must of drank about 6-9 cups a day and she gave birth to a lovely girl and she seems fine!

but i have cut down on my teas and coffees but i do have coke etc

I sympathize with you. I go out to breakfast once every couple of weeks with a friend of mine, and this last time around I got so many dirty looks when I ordered a med. Chai Latte. I only get them when I'm at the coffee shop once every 14 days, and I'll be damned if I let those guilty looks take away what little bit of sanity I have left!!

I had a small sized coffee at Thanksgiving this year at my SIL's and it took me 4 hours to finish it but every time she saw me take a sip she had to throw some comment in.

I know some people think caffeine is the devil when pregnant but I was always told that one SMALL cup of coffee a day is fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->