caffine is it really bad to drink

ayesha

Reaction score
okay ladies please be honest i found out i'm 6 weeks pregnant due april 17 now i was a big pepsi drinker i laid off it for a few day but started again between 1-2 not whole cans usually tea i gave it up it made me sick so decaf coffee hazenut vanilla hmm... anyway i like to know your opinons and have you stoped the caffine completly i was drink sprite but hubby bought pepsi cause they were out of it never get things on sale or get there fast:dohh:

Funny - I was gonna ask the same thing!

I'm not sure WHY its bad - but I know it is. I think it increases the risk of miscarriage... not sure though.

I was/am a big Diet Coke junkie. When I was TTC last time I switched to CAF FREE. I actually like it better, so that hasn't been a problem. I DO SO Miss my Cappucino Blasts from Baskin Robbins though! MMMMMM they are sooooo yummy. I want one so bad. But I guess its better if I avoid them anyhow - just because they are FULL of fat and calories too!

Anyhow - I think if you just have one caff beverage a day (or less) that its okay. Just don't overdo it! Caffeine isn't the WORST thing you can ingest while preg, just don't go crazy!

The limit for caffeine is actually rather easy to stay under. I've seen both 200mg/day and 300mg/day used as numbers to stay under. I have 1 cup of tea a day and on occasion a soda too, but usually only one or the other. https://www.babycenter.com/0_caffeine-during-pregnancy_3955.bc has some great info on caffeine and the risks associated. The second page has some good #'s as to how much caffeine can be found in common drinks, etc.

There is, according to Pepsi, 23mg of caffine in each can. This compares to 85mg in an average cup of coffee. General recommendations suggest you shouldn't have more than 200mg per day of caffine so a can of coke every now and again would probably be okay - more than a couple every day and you might risk getting gestational diabetes (because of the sugar intake). I personally don't touch 'diet' products because of the artifical sweetener (aspartame).

Everything in moderation - love that saying (so true!)

i drink 1 or 2 cups of tea and occasionally a coffee or cola. I know i went over board with it on holiday and drank a few cokes and tea/coffee :( im trying to stay away from it and am drinking de-caff tea which is nice :)

I have one caffienated coffee in the morning to wake me up then switch to decaff for the rest of the day. Take note that filter coffee is twice as strong as instant coffee! (Think its about 200mg a cup).

I am drinking 3 cups of tea a day. That from 12 a day before is pretty good I think.

Then I drink decaff - although the otherday I got them confused (don't ask) and drank 6 cups of normal tea. I hope bubba is OK :dohh:

I asked my midwife the same thing 2 days ago...she said as long as your not exeeding 6 cups a day, coffee or soda you should be fine. 300mg of caffeine or less. Hope this helps! :hugs:

Is that mugs or cups cos I guess mine are average size mugs really not those petit lilttle china cups.

Reasons why caffine is not recommended in pregnancy are-

* Caffine is a stimulant, it increases your blood pressure and heart rate. Which you don't want either to happen in pregnancy.

* Caffine increases the frequency of urination. This causes the reduction in your body fluid levels and can lead to dehyderation.

* Caffine does cross the placenta.

* The embryo/fetus cannot fully metabolize the caffine.

* Numerous studies on animals found that caffine can cause low birth weight, birth defects, preterm labor, and infertility.

* Some studies have shown increase miscarriage among women who consume more than 300 mg of caffine a day.

It is really best to avoid all caffine while pregnant, its not worth the risk. I'm personally not a big caffine drinker when not pregnant, maybe a soda a few times a year and a mocha once a year, but I won't drink any at all during pregnancy.

I was told the same thing as the other ladies have mentioned, less then 200MG a day. I now drink 1 or 2 cups of coffee in the morning but its a 75/25 Decaf/reg mix. I am a heavy coffee drinker and have been known to drink 3 or 4 pots a day LOL I used to make ice coffee with the left over coffee from the morning. I switched to 1 or 2 cups mostly decaf when ttc to limit my headaches before hand once i got my BFP.

I am totally off caffine. I used to have a couple cups of coffee in the morning and one in the afternoon, diet cola w/ supper...not a junkie but had quite a bit i guess. went off right after bfp, had a headache for a couple days but that was it. now its just normal. I may have a cuppa w/ my dad on the weekend or sips of hubbys pepsi and choclate of course but i really try to keep it way under 100mgs even for the few occasions

Haven't had caffeine since my IVF cycle. No coffee, colas or chocolate :( It hasn't been too bad for me but sometimes when I'm tired in the morning at work, I reallllllly want a cup lol.

i have no scientific or medical advice to give but i just thought i'd share my funny caffeine story...

had my scan y'day and had a gulp or 2 of OH's diet coke just before. went into the scan and baby was jiggling all over the place. didn't stay still for more than 2 seconds. sonographer was having a very tough time measuring! :rofl: told her about the coke and she said it could be a reason why it was moving so much!!!

i have no idea if it was related to the coke or if i just have a very active LO but thought it was quite funny.

:hug:

Hi I've been reading about this recently and there has been a study carried out in America. This has shown that women who consume greater than 200mg of caffeine daily have an increased risk of miscarriage compared to women who have less than 200mg per day. There also seemed to be even less risk if caffeine is avoided all together. After this study was published the food standards agency in the UK droped the recommendation from 300mg per day to 200mg per day. I have been avoiding it altogher as I had a miscarriage in May of this year so really paranoid!
Hope this info is helpful.

hi hun i found this website that tells u the levels in mg in every drink... have a look! im also a soda drinker... about 2 cans a day! xx

https://www.energyfiend.com/the-caffeine-database

Sorry forgot to put link in lol! xx

okay ladies please be honest i found out i'm 6 weeks pregnant due april 17 now i was a big pepsi drinker i laid off it for a few day but started again between 1-2 not whole cans usually tea i gave it up it made me sick so decaf coffee hazenut vanilla hmm... anyway i like to know your opinons and have you stoped the caffine completly i was drink sprite but hubby bought pepsi cause they were out of it never get things on sale or get there fast:dohh:

howdy!

i was told by my doc that caffeine raises your heart rate and therefore the baby's and that it was ok every once in a while for 'low risk pregnancies'
but she recommended that i stay away from the stuff.

i just switched to caffeine free coffee and sodas..can't tell the difference except for when m y mornings suck ass!

I really miss caramel and mocha fraps from Strabucks. :-( Is decaf okay to drink?!>

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->