Cake Making & Baking Group

Thanks Jac, do you bake in 2 tins then sandwich them together then?

I'm well confused now..ive also read not to over mix cake batter :wacko:

Can anyone answer my other q's please? xx

Couple of questions too please...:

I bought some squires kitchen mexican modelling paste to try and attempt a bunny, but I found it cracked and went sort of bitty, couldnt really get the limbs to attatch to each other and the ears wouldnt stand up......what am I doing wrong you think, am I even using the right stuff?

I havent used the mexican one, I use sugar dough, think its Squires that make it.
Found it to be expensive for the little amount you get though.
So now I mix Gum Tragcanth into plain old fondant and it does the exact same and saves ALOT of money!

You will need to buy edible glue to stick it together, modelling paste is not a sticky stuff, you can also stick plastic cocktail sticks through limbs etc! (sounds bad eh!)
Or use them to support bits while the glue dries :)

its only the marg and sugar that gets mixed for ages! Once you add the flour there isnt much mixing left for it all :)

Oh and I find it is best to use 2 seperate tins :)

its only the marg and sugar that gets mixed for ages! Once you add the flour there isnt much mixing left for it all :)

Oh and I find it is best to use 2 seperate tins :)

yes sorry, I do mix the marge and sugar for 10 mins and then however long it takes to mix in the flour/egg... and 2 seperate tins yeah:thumbup:

Couple of questions too please...:

I bought some squires kitchen mexican modelling paste to try and attempt a bunny, but I found it cracked and went sort of bitty, couldnt really get the limbs to attatch to each other and the ears wouldnt stand up......what am I doing wrong you think, am I even using the right stuff?

I havent used the mexican one, I use sugar dough, think its Squires that make it.
Found it to be expensive for the little amount you get though.
So now I mix Gum Tragcanth into plain old fondant and it does the exact same and saves ALOT of money!

You will need to buy edible glue to stick it together, modelling paste is not a sticky stuff, you can also stick plastic cocktail sticks through limbs etc! (sounds bad eh!)
Or use them to support bits while the glue dries :)
ahh right he (the cake man) was going on abouit mixing this with that and I said 'isnt there something that can can just DO IT? dont confuse me!' :rofl:
Got some deible glue yesterday and used it to stick my daisies on:thumbup: Ok will have a try with the fondant then.:hugs:Oh I used dried spaghetti haha!

jac, i use dried spaghetti 2!! its still classed as 'edible' then. (apparently its a big thing for cake competitions? LOL)
start the anniversary one 2moro.

oooo that choc cake looks AMAZING, god what i wouldnt give for a slice of that right now....im on a diet but feeling bloated and icky n would sure love a piece LOL

LOL Tracey, Ace Of Cakes wouldnt do very well in competitions then, most of their cakes are polystyrene!!!

polystyrene?? I could do with some of those to practise my icing! :rofl:

girl, have any of you got a car tin I could take a lend of? I want to do a cake for OH's friend who lives miles away and send it him in the post......dont really want to buy one as prob wont use it again....:wacko:

leanne might have, she has tons of tins!!!

You can buy polystyrene cake dummies for practise or if someone wants loads of tiers on a cake and is not willing to pay for them!!!

lol andrea i know...they are polystyrene n broom handles LOL i was so shocked when i saw a few of there cakes being made...its not even damn cake!!

yeah u can get polystyrene cake dummies chick...i have 3 here but ive never used them!! LOL

andrea i bought them just incase someone didnt want to pay for a huge wedding cake...but wanted the look of one, but i find the cake dummies cost just as much as the cake mix n buttercream sometimes, so they'd pay just the same for cake as they would for a block of polystyrene :rofl:

Jac why do you need a cake tin? Just bake a rectangular sponge and then print a template off the internet, pin it to your sponge and cut it out using a sharp knife. Thats how i did Brookes HK cake, and i think Andrea did hers the same way?

Yeah but you and andrea are pro's Holly....I'm still a novice..I couldnt carve crap me....haha

I'm going shopping tomorrow for supplies :) I want to make Austin a two-tiered cake for his birthday, how do I stack them? Any tips and tricks would be great as i dot have a clue! X

Jac why do you need a cake tin? Just bake a rectangular sponge and then print a template off the internet, pin it to your sponge and cut it out using a sharp knife. Thats how i did Brookes HK cake, and i think Andrea did hers the same way?

haha that's what i did to mine!

OK girls, where do you get your coloured fondant from, and stuff to stick on? Local shop or online. DOn't even know where i'd go local to get stuff...?

Thinking now i will do a sponge, fillling in middle, and stick stuff on or carve a butterfly out of coloured fondant......

Gosh i have not stopped thinking about cakes alllllllllllllll day and i mean all day.
I went and picked up some wilton mini muffin tins and fancy making some of them the weekend.
A girl i work with has lent me loads of books too so having a read through them.

Righ then OH has asked what i want for my birthday. i was thinking about asking for a giant cupcake tin (along with a pandora bracelet) lol. Carly- How easy was it to use? ice?
I am not sure how often i would use it although £30 isnt as much as i thought they would be.

Also i bought some cutters...butterflies and blossom...is there certain fondant i should use?

I did have to laugh at myself today...i popped into Sainsburys....i was looking at silverspoon icing...there was 3 different types and i got so confused...icing, icing sugar, icing for fondant???!! lol

x

Cappuccino Cupcakes with white chocolate icing :)

https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a378/kezzybabes/P3161350.jpg

https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a378/kezzybabes/P3161353.jpg

im not sure if i have a car?? i know i have a train :rofl:

will have a look in the morning and let u know x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe