Cake Making & Baking Group

Hey guys! I'd love to get into cake making as I want to make one for Amelies 1st birthday :) I'm not very good at the moment so I'm gonna start practising now, first just making sponge cakes to find teh perfect one, then in a few months start practising with fondant!
I want to do a 2tier one, a red velvet one and just a plain vanilla tier or maybe a lemon one. I'm gonna make amelie a little smash cake with buttercream ontop for her to make a mess of!

Wish me luck :D! Gonna make a red velvet one tonight if LO lets me lol. I'll let you know how I get on :)

hey guys! I'd love to get into cake making as i want to make one for amelies 1st birthday :) i'm not very good at the moment so i'm gonna start practising now, first just making sponge cakes to find teh perfect one, then in a few months start practising with fondant!
I want to do a 2tier one, a red velvet one and just a plain vanilla tier or maybe a lemon one. I'm gonna make amelie a little smash cake with buttercream ontop for her to make a mess of!

Wish me luck :d! Gonna make a red velvet one tonight if lo lets me lol. I'll let you know how i get on :)

good luck xxx

Well the cakes are made but im having trouble with my cream cheese frosting :( Its gone really runny?! Anyone know why?

Sorry Blah, I have never made that kind before, how did it go in the end?

I have just gone a bit mental buying everything I am gonna need to make Daisy's cake! Ok, I probably wont use most of it, but I am planning on making cakes more regulary (til i get bored!)

I ordered.....

thick cake board and a thin one for inbetween cakes
plastic dowels
alpahbet cutters
edging smoother
6 bright coloured sugarflair colours
edible glue
sugar paste smoother tool!

My brand spanking new cake tins came this morning too! I am so excited I want to make it now!! :blush:

Anthing else any of you can think of that I will need??

Andrea, I didnt know before I made Brooke's christening cake but you need this Apricot stuff for sticking the fondant icing to the cake.

I bought a little jar of it from Waitrose, its like Jam but without bits-you have to boil it (I microwaved :blush:) and then spread it all over the cake so the icing stays where you put it :flower:

Ill try and post a pic later of the cake I made for Brooke's christening-Im still SO proud of it!!

xx

Oh, and I nearly forgot-when I tried to make the practise christening cake, I found that Victoria Sponge was too squishy to hold the icing and the decorations and everything, so i made a Madeira cake which was much denser and seemed to hold everything much easier!

I have a recipe for a Madeira cake for a 9-inch square cake tin if anyone wants it xx

ahhh I remember apricot jam thing from home economics at school! Can't wait to see the photos hun!

And yes, pass on your recipe! :D

Andrea, I didnt know before I made Brooke's christening cake but you need this Apricot stuff for sticking the fondant icing to the cake.

I bought a little jar of it from Waitrose, its like Jam but without bits-you have to boil it (I microwaved :blush:) and then spread it all over the cake so the icing stays where you put it :flower:

Ill try and post a pic later of the cake I made for Brooke's christening-Im still SO proud of it!!

xx

Oh, and I nearly forgot-when I tried to make the practise christening cake, I found that Victoria Sponge was too squishy to hold the icing and the decorations and everything, so i made a Madeira cake which was much denser and seemed to hold everything much easier!

I have a recipe for a Madeira cake for a 9-inch square cake tin if anyone wants it xx

Oh thats a fab idea for the madeira cake. I love madiera cake nom nom and it isnt as sweet as a victoria sponge which will prob be a good thing when you add lots of fondant to it.

The red velvet cake was weird. I didnt like the taste or texture of it to be honest. It tastes kinda almondy like marzipan :wacko: and is so moist its almost like its uncooked IYKWIM?

I just made a sponge, it came out really moist and tastes amazing, but I want a lighter sponge! :hissy:!
Why wont it work!!!!

Im gonna have a bake night tomorrow :) Gonna stock up on ingredients and bake bake bake.

Does anyone know how to make a plaque??

can you use ready made icing cut out the shape you want and let it dry?

Does anyone know how to make a plaque??

can you use ready made icing cut out the shape you want and let it dry?

Yep thats what i would do, I am about to start on all the flowers for Daisys cake so that they can dry out properly.

Thats if I ever make a decent enough sponge to decorate!! Might get a bakers to make the cakes for me to decorate!! :winkwink:

Why dont you try the madeira cake idea taper?

im making some fruit cakes today, i LOVE the smell in the house when they are cooking!!

I think I will Blah, does anyone have a recipe for Madeira for a 9" cake tin? xxx

mm i have shortbread in the oven! Smells delish. Gonna make millionaires shortbread nom nom nom.

I dont have a madeira cake recipe thats tried and tested but Im gonna bake one tonight so if no replies I'm just gonna Google one!

Mmmmm...... have to say I do make a FAB millionaires shortbread! I just find making teh caramel so boring!

Let me know how you get on with your Madeira cake!

I hate making caramel too. I panic about it burning or splattering on my hand and burning me! Plus it takes ages. You can buy it already made now :) Its in tins just like the condensed milk :D I find it more rewarding making my own from scratch though. MMM, its in the pan cooling down :) Gonna melt the chocolate and butter soon for the top nom OM NOM

Also, what are the essentials I need for cake decorating? I have nothing and my mums birthday is on Aug 20th so I think I'll make her a cake so I get some practise in before amelies 1st :)

Fed up of my cakes going wrong atm. I have made 2 cakes this week and both have sank grrr. How can I stop it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->