Cake Making & Baking Group

hahahaha :rofl: I meant it is delicious marble cake...haven't eaten it all just yet!!

ello laydeeez :hi:

I have a question. . .im going to start making Brookes christening cake in a few days time, to see how many eggs and everything I need to get it right before making the proper final one.

What sort of icing should I use for the piping round the edge of the cake?? Im making a square, white cake with (hopefully!!) pink piped icing round the edges. Im hoping to make that hard, crunchy sort of icing if you know what I mean??

Suggestions how to make it look nice would also be grand. . .iv never made a 'pretty' cake before!!!!! :dohh: ta muchly! xx

hiya donna.....the icing youll need is called 'royal icing' its traditionally made with egg whites and icing sugar, and sets rock hard!! but the great news is...silver spoon make it ready in a box.....its just a box of 'royal icing sugar' and all you have to do is add water!! mix it up, slap it in a bag and away you go!! they sell it at tescos near the sugar and normal icing sugar....not sure about asdas though?

good luck!

hiya donna.....the icing youll need is called 'royal icing' its traditionally made with egg whites and icing sugar, and sets rock hard!! but the great news is...silver spoon make it ready in a box.....its just a box of 'royal icing sugar' and all you have to do is add water!! mix it up, slap it in a bag and away you go!! they sell it at tescos near the sugar and normal icing sugar....not sure about asdas though?

good luck!

thanks chick :hugs: im really looking forward to starting and seeing how it turns out!! :thumbup:

Thanks for your reply x x x

no probs....im sure it will look great!! dont forget to post a pic when ur done!!!

just a little note.....if you thinking about piping 'stars' when making ur icing, it has to be pretty thick to hold its shape. mix it in a jug till its real stiff and see if it will from 'peaks' when u pull ur spoon out, or better yet, try piping a star on abit of greaseproof first n leave it for a couple of mins...if it sinks and becomes 'wet looking' then its not thick enough.
its a good idea to try this first!! many times ive had to scrape a row of stars of afterwards because they have melted back into blobs!!!

no probs....im sure it will look great!! dont forget to post a pic when ur done!!!

just a little note.....if you thinking about piping 'stars' when making ur icing, it has to be pretty thick to hold its shape. mix it in a jug till its real stiff and see if it will from 'peaks' when u pull ur spoon out, or better yet, try piping a star on abit of greaseproof first n leave it for a couple of mins...if it sinks and becomes 'wet looking' then its not thick enough.
its a good idea to try this first!! many times ive had to scrape a row of stars of afterwards because they have melted back into blobs!!!

stars???!!!!!

I have absolutly NO IDEA how to do this. . .im going for the trial and error method :rofl:

Thank for you little tip though, Its MUCHLY appreciated and Ill definatly remember that!!! x x

https://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v621/21/107/509248322/n509248322_1066036_9168.jpg
this is a star border.

^^ had they been to australia by any chance? I love your cakes Tracy :D

Be prepared to see the nightmare that are my test subjects for my mums graduation... they will be terrible I can see it now!

lol yeah, theyd been in australia for quite some time!!

dont be daft orange-sox...im sure theyll be just fine!! can wait to see!!

ooooooooooooooh nutty mummy that cake was fab and the stars border was ace-ill defo give it a whirl :thumbup:

thanks! xx

Nutty Mummy...... you know you said loads of pages back about how if any of us were making tiered cakes that they would need support from the inside? What is it you use and how....

I am attempting a trial run of Daisy's birthday cake next weekend.... :D

yeah, i usually use plastic dowels (but that because my tiered cakes are real heavy!) and they can be a pain to cut n use sometimes. If your just making sponge cake id just use plastic drinking straws!!! when uve iced your bottom cake, push a straw in right to the bottom and mark where it meets the icing. then take ur straw out n cut it JUST below the line...like a mm underneath, then cut 4 more straws the same length as the one youve just cut.

lay a cake board ontop (the same size as the cake going ontop) and gently press to leave a circle.

then push all your straws into the cake....one in the centre, then the other 4 round it to make a 'square' (make sure you put them on the inside of your indented 'circle')

then, make up some royal icing, put a blob in the middle and place your next cake (with its cake board) ontop of your straws n press down slightly.

leave it to dry....and your all done!!!

i hope that made sense!

I'm going to be attempting to make my own wedding cake... It will be tiered, 3 tiers, rainbow cake inside, dark chocolate icing with white chocolate curls. The icing and cake part I'm fine with, can do that without measuring :rofl: but the actually stacking, I need help with. Anyone know how to tier cakes? x

I'm going to be making my first cake with homemade icing tonight after work...I'll post a picture when its done!
Hopefully it turns out okay!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->