Cake Making & Baking Group

Blimey, I just spent £70 on my equipment!

This is the recipe I used tp make Brooke's christening cake-I did a 9-inch square. I was crafty and did this recipe twice in the same tin as I didnt want to have to cut the cake in half to put jam in the middle-Id only have completley mucked it up!! :dohh:

9 INCH MADEIRA CAKE

8oz Butter
8oz Caster Sugar
Zest of 1 Lemon, grated
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
4 Eggs
8oz Plain flour
1 teaspoon Baking powder. QUOTE]

Lol this is very nearly the same recepie i use....i use 1.5 teaspoon of baking powder though..... i genuinely believe that the key is the mixing..got to use a hand mixer and i always mix for at least 10 minutes..20 if i dont get too bored....leave the mixer in one place dont keep zooming it around the bowl as the air bubbles pop...if you leave it in one place for a while youll see the bubbles form then gently move somewhere else so youve def got all the mix mixed in....as for the cutting of the cakes...i ALWAYS make two cakes too...i CANNOT cut the cake into two...i actually get the cake and put a sandwich bag box in front of it......i then get a serated knife and use the box as a leveller and cut the top off so i get a nice neat straight base and then turn them so one flat base is the bottom and the other is the top, this makes it so much neater!

Can i join please :wave:

Ive never baked unill yeserday :blush:

Since having tyler's christening cake made ive had inspiration to make his 1st birhday cake :) so yesterday i started small and made cupcakes!!

They wernt bad for my first attempt!! i made blue icing and put 100s and 1000s on them!!

Im going to bake something once a week and hopefully with the help of you girls i will beable to make tyler's 1st birthday cake!!

I also need to go out and buy some more equipment as i didnt really have the right tools yesterday :blush: x x

Blimey, I just spent £70 on my equipment!

LOL I think I spent about that too!

haha. I got 6 colouring pastes :D, sugar flower paste, glue, sunflower plungers (3 diff sizes), 2 different leaf cutters, pastry brush, cake stand that turns, dowels, modeling tools and a smoother/polisher

It is so good making the flowers! I can just sit and do it for hours! I have made a little spray of Daisies for the top of the trial cake I have made! Will finish decorating it tonight and stick some pics up!

I am even more excited about making Dasiys birthday cake cos I am doing hers in really bright colours!

P.s. Remember the rubber gloves! I didnt have any and now my fingers are stained green! :dohh:

omg i just made the 9 inch madeira cake in a 8 inch pan! Bet it overspills. Only been in 5 mins so fingers crossed. The batter was really thick too which surprised me!

omg i just made the 9 inch madeira cake in a 8 inch pan! Bet it overspills. Only been in 5 mins so fingers crossed. The batter was really thick too which surprised me!

are you making it in a deep tin or 2 shallow tins?

Can i join please :wave:

Ive never baked unill yeserday :blush:

Since having tyler's christening cake made ive had inspiration to make his 1st birhday cake :) so yesterday i started small and made cupcakes!!

They wernt bad for my first attempt!! i made blue icing and put 100s and 1000s on them!!

Im going to bake something once a week and hopefully with the help of you girls i will beable to make tyler's 1st birthday cake!!

I also need to go out and buy some more equipment as i didnt really have the right tools yesterday :blush: x x

Hiya! Post pics of your cupcakes! LOVE cupcakes!

https://www.babyandbump.com/toddler-pre-school/167951-here-our-elmo-cake.html

oh thanks its not professional by any means but i tried really hard

Hm this cake doesn't seem to be baking really :( Looks baked from the outside but I put a knife in it and its totally raw inside?! Its been in 40mins so I'll leave it for an hour.

edit - ended up leaving it 1hr 10mins! Just had a sneaky bit (its not cooled yet) and omg YUM! I added an extra 1/2tsp of vanilla and omitted the lemon zest. Since Im doing 2 tiers I want 1 vanilla with vanilla buttercream and jam, and 1 lemon with lemon buttercream and lemon curd. I'll do the lemon version at the weekend probably without filling, I'm just perfecting my actual sponge at the moment! Think I've got the vanilla one down though YIPPEE. Thanks for the recipe X

Thats the way mine have been turning out! Then they were baked for so long they were quite well done on the outside!

I just been out and bought shallow sandwich tins so I'll see how they go.

Have any of you used silicone bakeware? I was gonna order some today!

Oh well here is attempt number one! I am not really happy with it but glad it wasn't too much of a disaster! Should have cleaned the icing sugar off it a bit before adding the flowers!

Next time will be better :D

Crazy Daisy Cake!

https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l158/taperjean/DSC05944.jpg
https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l158/taperjean/DSC05945.jpg

That cake looks brilliant Taperjeangirl! :D

Oh well here is attempt number one! I am not really happy with it but glad it wasn't too much of a disaster! Should have cleaned the icing sugar off it a bit before adding the flowers!

Next time will be better :D

Crazy Daisy Cake!

https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l158/taperjean/DSC05944.jpg
https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l158/taperjean/DSC05945.jpg

Thats fab!

+ Ive not personally used the sillicone bakeware but my mum has loads of it and swears by it :D

Ooooh I got all my equipment :D Missing the green colouring though! I hate when places F up your order a bit. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->