Cake Making & Baking Group

Tjg that cake looks fab!!! I hope i can be that good one day :) x x

lovely cakes girls.

when i bake my cakes they are in for approx 1 hour each, on 140.
equal ingredients too.

still havnt done anymore cakes yet (havnt taken any on....cant stand up for 2 mins without getting tired! lol)

lovely cakes girls.

when i bake my cakes they are in for approx 1 hour each, on 140.
equal ingredients too.

still havnt done anymore cakes yet (havnt taken any on....cant stand up for 2 mins without getting tired! lol)

awww not long to go now!

Do you do the shallow tins or just one in a deep tin? I have a fan assisted oven so have to adjust for that too :wacko:

I am attempting the madeira cake tonight if Daisy goes to her bed at a reasonable hour and I can stay off the internet for 5 minutes!

i have a fan assited one too!! u shud have seen the state of my electric bill when i had all those cakes to do!!!

i make one mix and put it in a deep tin.....let that one cook for an hour, tip it out to cool and put another mix in....i find putting 2 in at the same time can cause problems!!!

because its a deep tin you end up with better sides to decorate.

ive tried madeira.....its WAAAAY too many eggs for me! :rofl: it always comes out too dense and hard.....i just make victoria sponge...yummy n fluffy n still good to decorate if its done right.
good luck!! xxx

Nutty mummy have you posted the recipe you use?

Ahhhh a secret to get the side looking good! Mine were a tad..... bumpy!! :D

no havnt put my recipe on here....i used to know it off by heart as i was making them everyday....but since i havnt done any since before xmas i have forgotten!! all i know is that its equal amounts of everything....i use Stork marg, sugar, SRF, n eggs.

yup when u do ur cakes in the higher sided tins....u get a good edge, as long as u cut the cakes totally level and stack them level.
shud be something like this:
https://file047a.bebo.com/21/large/2009/06/05/15/2510492867a10970149522l.jpg

when ur cake is colled give it a layer of buttercream made with 3/4 butter (marg) and 1/4 Trex (veg fat) milk and icing sugar. coat it in that n leave to set a little. when covering with fondant dont roll it too thin and ull get less bumps! xxx

You know the packet of cake mixes you get in Tesco and what not, has anyone ever tried them? I keep seeing American recipes for cakes and they just use the mix!

omg i just made THE perfect sponge! Its delicious! This is what I did..

I got 3 eggs and weighed them (shells on) and they were 6oz so I used 6oz caster sugar, butter and SR flour.

I creamed the sugar and butter for ages and ages until it increased in size and went REALLY pale. Then I beat the eggs and added a little egg with a little flour into the sugar and butter mixture and repeated until it was all folded in. I was quite gentle and used a metal spoon so as not to get rid of the air.
*i made mine lemon so i put in juice and zest of 1 lemon and added 1 extra dessert spoon of flour to even the extra liquid out*
Put into 2x8" tins, 25mins at 180C. It's perfect!

Also made a delicious lemon curd type syrup for the inside instead of jam.

no havnt put my recipe on here....i used to know it off by heart as i was making them everyday....but since i havnt done any since before xmas i have forgotten!! all i know is that its equal amounts of everything....i use Stork marg, sugar, SRF, n eggs.

yup when u do ur cakes in the higher sided tins....u get a good edge, as long as u cut the cakes totally level and stack them level.
shud be something like this:
https://file047a.bebo.com/21/large/2009/06/05/15/2510492867a10970149522l.jpg

when ur cake is colled give it a layer of buttercream made with 3/4 butter (marg) and 1/4 Trex (veg fat) milk and icing sugar. coat it in that n leave to set a little. when covering with fondant dont roll it too thin and ull get less bumps! xxx

Thank you for the tips! I did see fondant being rolled out with trex before do you do this?
I am thinking that would wipe the chance of my next cake being covered in icing sugar at the end!
How much milk and sugar do you add to the buttercream for that top layer?

well ladies here are the two cakes i made....
the first one realy doesnt look all that good but in the flesh so to speak its really funky, it was for a couple that had renewed their wedding vows, their wedding colours were different purples/lilacs and she loved crochet...
https://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/haylebop/jen.jpg

this cake was for my moms friend who was 60..everything went quite well apart from i forgot the other piece of ribbon for the bottom tier so i had to pipe all the way round with a small star nozzle. Then when i was piping the happy 60th sue on the top my icing bag exploded and smudged the whole bloody lot...i had piped it with a 0 nozzle so i had to scrape a small piece of taking the pink with me and pipe using a number 2 nozzle to cover up and imperfections!!
https://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/haylebop/sue.jpg
https://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/haylebop/suecake.jpg
hope you like them....dont have any more to do for a while now but when i do ill try and put a step by step guide up for you if you want
h x

i hate it when my piping bag explodes!!! my temper explodes at that point too!! lol nice cakes!!

not sure how much milk...i just throw it in till its right :rofl: as long as it sticks to your knife and doesnt 'blob' off then youve got it right xx

ive never rolled my fondant on trex...i know some people do but if u get trex on the surface part of ur fondant ur knackered coz ur left with VERY shiny patches that wont come off. i just roll mine out on a bit of icing sugar xx

does your head in doesnt it!
i always use cornflour on my hands aswell when im kneeding as i have very warm hands the icing sugar always goes really sticky
h x

I've been practising for my mums bday cake by making cupcakes and decorating them. I've not tried to cover a cake in fondant yet, is it difficult? I'll probably do a practise cake this weekend :)

i am always trying to pipe but can Never get the consistancy right, any tips anyone ???

:hug:

You can add a bit of milk to your buttercream if you find it too thick :) If its too runny add more icing sugar but if you do that I'd add the tiniest pinch of salt to take away the extra sweetness or it gets way too sickly!

do you use specific amounts or just guesstimate??

It's something like 1:3 fat:icing i think

Got another Q, what type of fondant do you girls use to cover the cakes? Did you buy it or make marshmallow fondant? Also, whats the difference between fondant and sugarpaste?

i buy my fondant.....i was way too busy to make my own!!
no difference between sugarpaste n fondant....same thing! just people have different names for it (coz some people class fondant as the runny/drizzly stuff too u get on little cakes)

Any particular brand? I heard regalice professional is best? What about the paste that goes hard? Is that flower paste?

Also, how much do you guesstimate I'll need to cover a 10" and a 8" plus a little leftover for stripes and polkadot decor? I thought if I bought a 2.5kg package it should be more than enough?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->