Cake Making & Baking Group

aww hun, ive done that before too :(

when rolling out try to use as little icing sugar as possible and try to keep hardly any on the top...only lightly dust your rolling pin if needed, and roll out darker colours with cocoa powder (which i should really take my own advice on there because i never do! LOL)

sometimes u can get it off by smoothing your hands over the icing n trying to rub it off. sometimes though...its impossible and wont budge...yeah i wouldnt use a damp brush either it will leave streaks on. the only thing u can try, but depends on the 'area' you are doing, is get a straw (or something similar) and blow hot air onto the real dusty parts......dont do it too much though as the hot air can also melt the icing. it will go slightly 'glossy' but if youve done it right it should dry fine. try on an inconspicuous part around the back first. WOW get me...i wrote that huge long word n didnt get any red wavy lines for a spelling mistake!! woop...made-up now :rofl:

I've dropped a few clangers...:haha:

I did my cake in 2 parts (2 x 8" cake tins). First of all, i put too mixture in one so they're uneven. Cooked 1 part, it burnt a bit on the top :dohh:, cooked second part and that's gone a bit bubbly on the top - what have i done wrong?

Just waiting for something else to go wrong now....:rofl:

Great cakes though ladies! :thumbup:

jo....i remember now!!! you posted a pic a few pages back.
ive done a greenhouse before, so will be a similar shape, only tips i can give you is put plenty of buttercream (and chill in the fridge after covering) coz if youve carved the slanted roof, sometimes the sponge can be abit 'crummy' LOL and will result in a bumpy roof!!
im sure its guna turn out great, cant wait to see it! xx

squidge...some cakes do go a little bubbly on the top, its not a problem as u usually trim the tops off anyway :)

aww hun, ive done that before too :(

when rolling out try to use as little icing sugar as possible and try to keep hardly any on the top...only lightly dust your rolling pin if needed, and roll out darker colours with cocoa powder (which i should really take my own advice on there because i never do! LOL)

sometimes u can get it off by smoothing your hands over the icing n trying to rub it off. sometimes though...its impossible and wont budge...yeah i wouldnt use a damp brush either it will leave streaks on. the only thing u can try, but depends on the 'area' you are doing, is get a straw (or something similar) and blow hot air onto the real dusty parts......dont do it too much though as the hot air can also melt the icing. it will go slightly 'glossy' but if youve done it right it should dry fine. try on an inconspicuous part around the back first. WOW get me...i wrote that huge long word n didnt get any red wavy lines for a spelling mistake!! woop...made-up now :rofl:

on the top...do you mean WORKtop or top of icing:blush:
should I be turning my icing over as I roll it or should I stick to one side as the top. what is your routine hun?
ATM I roll it out a bit, pick up, dust worktop, turn over icing, roll again...x2 or 3 until right size....

cocoa powder? wont that leave speckles of brown in it?

Ok so not only did i burn the top of one part, i burnt the underneath of the other part and it stuck to the tin even though i greased it like caitlinsmummy said :dohh: :rofl:

I'm sure i'll be able to fix it one way or another :rofl: If i buttercream/jam it tonight, do you think it'll be ok in the fridge overnight until i decide whether or not i dare to ice it tomorrow? :flower:

thnx andrea

ok shes just been to collect it, she LOVED it :)

just posting to facebook now, and will post it here in a sec.

kriskitten im not surprised he like it, u worked so hard on it, i would have never attempted the boiled sweet thing...seems to hard for me! LOL it turned out fab!!

well instead of the ballons i opted for stars instead, cut out silver all together, and basically changed her whole design LMAO but she loved it how it was and said she could see what i had mentioned would be better. x

The stars look great :thumbup:
much better than balloons, would really overdo it :)

lol i woulda killed him if he didnt like it :rofl:
no pressure :laugh2:
Tbh the sugar glass was easy, i didnt go with using the boiled sweets in the end because i couldnt find any of the right colour so i made it from scratch.
Its just a case of boiling sugar ,golden syrup and water (3:1:1) ...only thing is your meant to have a candy thermometre because it has to come off the boil at exactly the 'hard crack' stage which is 300 degree. 280 and it wont stay solid, 320 and it will burn into an evil lump.
:)lol: i love the internet)
So if you dont have one, you have to stand there with a bowl of water, dripping a bit in every couple mins to see if it goes solid and if your able to crack it when it submerges....
then add the colouring (and flavouring if your so inclined..i wasnt lol), pour it out, let it cool and take out all your fraustration with a rolling pin for the shards :lol:
That bit was fun :haha:
i think if i decorated cakes all the time id invest in the thermometre coz i do like the effect of the glass....maybe if i get good at it one day ill treat myself. I imagine it would be very easy with one :D xxxx

Girls :cry:

I cannot get these letter cutters to work? Got the proper tappit? ones but if I roll it too thin, they're floppy and break, thick doesn't come out. It's her birthday party in few hours :O

HAPPY 1st BIRTHDAY
Jac's LEO !!!!!

UHM tbh I can't remember lol! think i remember sticking it in the bag in fury lol! I rolled it and left it dry a bit like you said few pages back somewhere. WIll try that hun thanks x

kris kitten, that does NOT sound easy LOL that sounds too much like science to me ha ha
i remember now, because u said you got it to a nice colour but when it set it turned lighter? still looked cool though! i could see me getting way too stressed trying to make that LOL

jac......dont turn your icing over...thats why its dusty :)
i keep one side the 'top' all the time.

roll your icing into a ball, put it on a dusted surface, LIGHTLY dust your rolling pin then start to roll it, once its stretched one way, turn it 180 degrees n roll again so it starts to resemble a circle. never turn it over though. then constantly dust underneath your fondant, and dust your rolling pin (only if needed) and keep turning n rolling your fondant till its a huge circle :) the reason your is dusty is becasue youve turned it over, and that side is now facing the icing sugar on your worktop, and your rolling more icing sugar onto the top of your icing (if that makes sense!) you should see a huge difference next time you do it :) xxx

sam u have to roll the icing thin....leave it for about 10 mins till it stiffens up abit, cut out, whack it on the worktop so it flies out, reshape it on the worktop and leave them to dry :)

I have started rolling out with cornflour now....... still use icing sugar for light coloured icing but cornflour for darker, brighter colours......... I was worried it would taste funny but it is tasteless!

The tappits are a bit on a knack to get used to but once you get it thats you !

Jac did you try a dusting brush to move some of the icing sugar? It works best once the whole cake has "dried out" a bit, I usually brush mine down right before they are collected! So they have usually sat all night.

I've got a cupcake and cake tier 1st birthday this week, all covered in wee monsters! Really need to get started on them!

Also my neices pizza cake for her birthday sleepover!
So if anyone has any ideas on how to make icing look like pepperoni shout out now!! LOL
I thought about painting some cheerios with black food colouring to make something that resembles an olive......

Anyone else got any ideas?! I thought about using a garlic press to make the cheese effect on top......... but then wondered if it would be possible to actually grate some fondant!!

Tracey.... help!!! :rofl:

lol, yeah u can grate fondant, ive seen it done before..its very effective!
ive always wanted to do a pizza cake :)

Oooo you know the cakes i made for a "friend" yesterday? Well he's just phoned OH as he needs a private job doing on one of his cars and he's asked OH if i will be will to supply them with cupcakes for their stand for this seasons touring car races :happydance: He said he was so impressed with the ones i sent him yesterday :blush:

He's pretty good, he won the MG Trophy Championship last year!!

Woo Holly! That is fabby news! The orders are gonna come flooding in after that!

Has anyone made a wasp cake before? She said she wanted a huge 3d bumblebee.... because its her hubbys birthday and he is the secretary of the local football team..... Just found out they are actually called the wasps :dohh:

I'll be making cake to be eaten by our local celebs! LOL!

Lol yeh Tracey, its cause i added the food colouring at the beginning rather than the end :blush:
Teach me to read a whole recipe before i start :haha::dohh:
Ooooher ladies, baking for celebs?
I am impressed :haha::D xxxx

Jo, I was just having a look through our fav cake site! Saw some teent gardening bits that you could add to your shed cake!!

They are on this page....
https://www.craftcompany.co.uk/acatalog/Sport.html

Jo, I was just having a look through our fav cake site! Saw some teent gardening bits that you could add to your shed cake!!

They are on this page....
https://www.craftcompany.co.uk/acatalog/Sport.html
got them :thumbup:, but thanks for thinking of me:flower:

A wasp cake? Wow that is not going to be easy, I wonder if you can get a shaped tin?

Polo, not much pressure then?? How many have they asked for?

Woo Holly! That is fabby news! The orders are gonna come flooding in after that!

Has anyone made a wasp cake before? She said she wanted a huge 3d bumblebee.... because its her hubbys birthday and he is the secretary of the local football team..... Just found out they are actually called the wasps :dohh:

I'll be making cake to be eaten by our local celebs! LOL!

doesn't look like wasps are made very often but found this so maybe can be adapted to look more stripey waspy
https://goatinacoat.blogspot.com/2008/06/wasp-cake-final-product.html

Hey guys, everyones been busy in here! Great cakes and cupcakes girls :D

Forgot to post pics of that 50th cake i did :dohh: Only got crappy in action shots cos i forgot to take pics before the actual party.. o well!

https://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r5/aryandeity/P1030470.jpghttps://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r5/aryandeity/P1030472.jpghttps://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r5/aryandeity/P1030475.jpg

The last one is when its been cut and one of the stars melted cos of the candles :rofl: and yes, we forgot to buy a cake board so its on a 14" cake tin!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->