Cake Making & Baking Group

:hi:
I've looked on front page and can't find the recipe for the chocolate cake Jac fed me at her house. She's ran away lol, so if anyone gave her it, or has a good one can you write it for me, want to go make one!

She had choc buttercream in middle, and choc frosting or something on top, so need help with that too?

THanks girlies :flower:

if its the one I gave her you just take out 3 dessertspoons of flour and replace with cocoa powder in the normal sponge cake recipe :)

and fill and cover with Betty Crockers Chocolate Fudge Icing :thumbup:

Ooh okie, how can i make my own choc buttercream though? I've already been to asda rofl. And did someone say to put proper chocolate into something? Bought some of that incase :rofl:

I used Bourneville cocoa powder, as Andrea said replace 3 desert spoons of flour with that...

I actually think you had choc orange cake???

I did a layer of betty crockers and a layer of normal buttercream with a teaspoon of orange essence in it... the top was the rest of the betty crockers:thumbup:

Nope you brought me choc orange when you came this way, but you fed me normal YUUUUUMY choc cake when we walked into mold for my cake stuff that day? Was it for someone else, but you ate some of it :rofl:

:hi: anyway hun!

ohh yes...ohhh that one I added 3 big dessert spoons of bournville aswell as the normal amount of flour! It was betty crockers choc buttercream and vanilla buttercream in the middle and betty crockers choc fudge all over the top with choc sprinkles:thumbup:

Lemon and Mars Bar cupcakes for Mums birthday
https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a378/kezzybabes/P4251645.jpg

Also made a huge tray of Malteser fridge cake and 22 Mars bar Cupcakes today.

Wow you have been busy they look fab :)

Here is the 1sy Birthday cake I did for Arcanegirls little Alex :)

She wanted one like Daisy's but with Monsters! :D

https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs512.snc3/26894_420028505878_620555878_5290981_6249670_n.jpg
https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs512.snc3/26894_420028495878_620555878_5290980_7926443_n.jpg

Absolutely brilliant!

hi girls,

awww andrea im sooooo jealous, ive always wanted to make a pizza cake and its almost identical to how i would have made it too!! although my pizza box is different LOL ill have to get a new one if i ever make one, ive kept this box so long it will be dusty! LOL

shes just gone with the cupcakes so i can post them now :)
im not happy about the blue icing, it came out more turquoisey than blue :( i just couldnt get it to go actual blue!!

https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs460.ash1/25307_384957498322_509248322_3925986_3583381_n.jpg

https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs440.snc3/25307_384957528322_509248322_3925987_7561595_n.jpg

OMG you lot are so talented! This is brilliant, I love it!

I have never dared even look at this thread, as I am fairly certain that even peeking at some of these pictures is fattening. However, in a mad flash of progesterone-crazed craving, I simply must have a pineapple upsidedown cake right now.
I will let you know how it goes.
If it is successful, perhaps I will be inspired to attempt other 1950s classics and beyond! and may actually have something to contribute to the discussion here, other than drool and envy! :)

haha Leanne i ordered 20 cupcakes boxes and 20 cake boxes!! LOL!! Expensive old game this!!

Whats your plans for this coming week girls?

I have the wasp cake..... its a headache already!! Have told her I will deliver it as I think it will have to be assembled at its destination!!! OOOhhh its like ace of cakes!! LOL!

What is all your feelings on parts of the cake being un-edible? I know Tracey and I have slated Ace of cakes before but honestly they stuff alot of theirs is stuffed with polystyrene!!!

It's just that the wings of the wasp i am thinking of making them with some jewelery wire covered in a balck mesh fabric......... I thought about moulding them, or boiled sugar sculpted , but it just fills me with dread!!!!

I dont want them to shatter before they get where they are going!!!!

i saw on one of the cake programmes i was watching that they were using rice cakes for a few things? just looked like a huge snack a jac type thing , it was american i havent heard of it here but maybe worth looking into x

yeah, they use rice crispies mix, you know like the rice crispie squares? it moulds easily round things :)

TJG if the sugar molding your talking about is like what i did for OH's cake its really really not as difficult as it sounds...obviously as the wings are bigger and thicker itll take a little while longer to cool but thats it.
Why dont you have a trial run making the sugarglass?
Put ratio of 3:1:1 of sugar:golden syrup:water in a pan and mix it up. Then turn the pan on to medium heat and just let it cook. You dont need to stir it if you mixed it well at before you turn on the heat. I did, but that was more just something to do lol.
As i doubt you have a candy thermometre your gona have to wait till it looks lke it quite runny and be ready with a bowl of cool water. Then you just occasionally drip the sugar into the water. When it hits the water it should go hard so that you can crack it. If it stays softish then its not ready and itll just bend and slowly sink when you set it. Make sure you keep an eye coz right after the hard crack stage itll burn.
Then when it is ready stir in any colouring/flavouring you need and then pour it into your mold and leave it to harden.
The ony problem is youll have to be careful with it and make it thick enough so it wont shatter..but if your setting it up on site then it should be fine :) xxx

Wow, amazing cakes!
I've been asking by MIL to do FIL's cake. Initially she said I could do like a bike theme but it's up to me, so I've decided to go completely off on a tangent and go for something a bit different.
I want to do this:
https://www.pinkcakebox.com/images/big-cake1258.jpg
But just two layers, stripes on the bottom, and spots on top... I don't actually own anything to make cakes apart from the tins, and I'm going to do a couple of practice ones first....
Just have a couple of questions I need help with!
What equipement do I actually need for the fondant? For making the shapes and putting it on the cake etc?
Is it best to use white fondant and colour it? Or get the ready coloured fondant?
What's the best way to do the second tier to stop it sinking?
Finally, what's the best sponge to make for it?

Appreciate the help

Wow, amazing cakes!
I've been asking by MIL to do FIL's cake. Initially she said I could do like a bike theme but it's up to me, so I've decided to go completely off on a tangent and go for something a bit different.
I want to do this:
https://www.pinkcakebox.com/images/big-cake1258.jpg
But just two layers, stripes on the bottom, and spots on top... I don't actually own anything to make cakes apart from the tins, and I'm going to do a couple of practice ones first....
Just have a couple of questions I need help with!
What equipement do I actually need for the fondant? For making the shapes and putting it on the cake etc?
Is it best to use white fondant and colour it? Or get the ready coloured fondant?
What's the best way to do the second tier to stop it sinking?
Finally, what's the best sponge to make for it?

Appreciate the help

ok well to make the stripes you will just need a craft knife and a ruler for uber straight lines.
The circles you will need circle cutters...
edible glue to stick them all on.

Coloured fondant is by far the easiest...you can mix colours to get diff colours, lighter and darker variations.
you will need a cake base..thin one, same size as your top cake plus dowels to hold up your 2nd tier.

The best flour to buy is mcdougles sponge flour. x

Hope this helps:flower:

great lemon n marsbar cupcakes!!

andrea, ha ha i wouldnt worry about the wings not being edible...i do the exact same as you, wire with mesh..or tights LOL
i doubt people are guna wanna eat the wings anyway! they always just want cake.
and its understandable that the wings arent guna be edible.....at least we arent like ace of cakes which makes a huge tank and 3/4 of it was unedible!!!
xxx

jac did ur white cake go ok??
when my dad used to mix cakes for my mums park kiosk, if he ever come across a double yolk egg his cakes rose HUGE!! although i always thought it was the yolks that made the mix heavier?!! let us know how it goes n what it tastes like ;) xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->