Cake Making & Baking Group

Jac - wow - that pram is great! You'd never know itwas your first go!
Cassandra - I would personally use sugarpaste rather than marzipan on a sponge or chocolate cake I only use marzipan for 'lining' a fruit cake for a nice smooth finish before putting sugarpaste on top of that, you can make decs out of marzipan, but I'm not keen, again I use sugarpaste, mexican or flowerpaste (tougher versions of sugarpaste) you can buy sugarpaste from most supermarkets in their baking aisles, right next to the marzipan, usually in 500g-1kg blocks that you need to knead and roll or readyrolled icing, however you can't colour the ready rolled, it would have to go on the cake white, to colour it you can buy colour pastes from cake decorating shops (or some of the websites in the spoiler in the first post on this thread) or you can buy it ready coloured.
HTH and good luck!
Anybody have any idea how i can get these flippin balloons to stay stuck to the wires - please?!?

How do you colour the sugarpaste? Just normal food colouring??

Thank you xx

cassandra, you would use coloured paste....from a cake shop. normal food colouring just makes the fondant go sticky. x

heather, ive had trouble in the past puttind decs on wires and them slipping through...especially if they are heavy, its best to make the wires days before so u have plenty of drying time. thick wires would be best, and make a little hook shape n shove them in. leave them flat to dry for a few days and they should be ok xx

jac, i got some tiny glasses from my cake decorating shop..think they were only a couple of pence each.....its the one shes holding in her hand....but its a mini cocktail glass:
https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs397.snc3/24150_387830851925_188177171925_3907267_7097088_n.jpg

very cute pram!! ive seen something very similar before...did u use a tutorial? its very cute! i love the little bear too :)
ahhhh i think i remember...i have a cake version like this somewhere, might have been debbie brown or lindy smith.

its adorable xxx

No, normal food colouring is too runny for sugarpaste and makes it too sticky, colour pastes are better (such as sugarflair), they come in a bigger range of colour, from cake shops, etc and are just what they say, a paste that is more intense in colour, you add them using a cocktail stick to your icing and keep kneading it until the colour is even throughout the icing, keep adding it until you get the depth you want, reading it I'm not sure if that makes sense, but it does when you have the icing and paste in front of you! lol!

Thanks Tracey, i'll make them today from flowerpaste and hopefully they'll be dry by saturday - eeek! And yes, it's Debbie Brown - I have that book, too! I have her Enchanting Cakes one, too - amazing cakes, it's what gave me my inspiration to try my first ever cake for dd's 1st birthday!

ooo i dont have the enchanting ones....is that the one with sleeping beauty in?

i bought books right at the beginning and ive hardly used them LOL
i think i have the 50 party cakes one, and 2 characters cakes, and no time party cakes by lindy smith.

i think ive only made one cake out of a book??!! LOL

yes, that's the one! I also have the 50 party cakes one. Got a few on my list for xmas though!
I've never made an exact replica of any cakes either, I just like to take elements from them and they can just give me ideas sometimes!

she has a new one coming out soon...something like gorgeous and gruesome cakes.
xx

Jo are they the wafer ones or the other ones? Did you bake them in those cones?
Just normal Ice cream cones, but with the flat bottom.
I didn't bake the cake in them I make small (not mini) buns and placed them in

ahh I see Jo, its the waffle ones I'm after so I can bake the cake in them.

Tracey, yeah I used the cake book as inspiration to make a model:thumbup:
I'm after champagne glasses or flutes really hun, but might have to go with something like those if i cant find any. Am going to have a nose in our cake shop today and see what he has in.

Andrea- my fondant from that blue ribbon shop arrived today, brill service! I wont be using it until next week so shall let you all know how I get on with it.
#
I am going to make up my 2 dummy christening cakes this week, off to get some more supplies in a short while, and am going to ask the man in the shop how to stick the fondarnt (aka cake boss) to the polystyrene:wacko:

jac...u can just spray the dummies with water and stick the fondant on....like you can do with the marzipan before you put fondant on :)

u did a fantastic job of turning that cake into a model..its so cute!!! and very clever :)

xx

Tracey, I have a girl wanting to buy one off me....but I havn't got a clue what to ask for one:confused: what would you charge?

erm, figure how much fondant you use, and anything extra you use...colours, gum trag, glue, icing sugar (i know these wont cost alot, but you still have to count it...your still using it!)
then see how long it takes you to do it. you can either work out an hourly rate, or a one-off flat rate for doing it.

if in doubt...look something similar up on ebay n see what they charge....but make sure its handmade....most on ebay are claydough xxx

hey girls... just to let u know i just listed some cakey things in the for sale thread...
a fondant rolling pin, loads of different cutters, wilton nozzel set, and im sure theres more...
https://www.babyandbump.com/home-el...illips-recharge-candles-leather-cleaning.html

moz-screenshot-2.png
moz-screenshot-3.png

https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs522.ash1/30736_428810480699_588895699_6075985_4388790_n.jpg
https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs522.ash1/30736_428810510699_588895699_6075987_378050_n.jpg
Rushed and messy but i was very pleased with it. My stepdad likes hippos, smokes pipes, loves antiques and adores his cats, so ta-dah!
:haha:
xxx

Going to make some cupcakes today for OH to take work tomorrow as it's his last day at his old job so just wondering what you think I should make? x

Fab Kris!! I love it!

Girls, be honest, do you think I overpriced my christening cake?
Here it is...

https://i819.photobucket.com/albums/zz112/SiggyStoreUK/jacs%20blinkies/fabrics/zzz.jpg
https://i819.photobucket.com/albums/zz112/SiggyStoreUK/jacs%20blinkies/fabrics/zzzz.jpg

Everything is hand made by me, have it up for £65...

what do you think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->