Cake Making & Baking Group

Cassandra, have you looked into hiring the tins, I have a cake shop very local to me and another about 6 miles away, both have different shaped and number tins, always thought it would be really expensive to hire, but enquired and the one most local to me charges £3 for 4 days hire with a £10 returnable deposit, the other was £3 for 3 days with £10 returnable deposit.
Why are you thinking it will be a bad idea hun? should be ok, just break the number down into sections - i'd do a circle first or use a circular tin, cutting round something else circular in the middle and then use a different cake for the top part of the number using the same tin/circular thingy used to carve around the outside of the main part to make sure it fits the circle neatly and then shape the rest accordingly - does any of that make sense? lol! Having said that - I've never done one myself so maybe nuttymummy or another more experienced decorator could offer some better advise, but i'm sure that whatever you go for your sister and nephew will love it - as for me - I persuade everyone to have a round or square cake!:haha:

Ooooo i never thought about hiring?!? I'll be having a look now :) Thanking yoooooou xx

Beginners are more than welcome :flower:

Im still one of the beginners asking loads of questions.
We also have a group called learning to cake make and decorate and there is instructions on there on how to make the cake and cover with fondant...

Ooooo I didnt know that! Thanks hun xx

Edit: Erm......where?? x

https://www.babyandbump.com/bnb-gro...ke-decorate-lesson-2-icing-fondant-added.html

mummy to amber....no hun theres loads of beginners in here!!
i was just asking because i ddint know what u called expensive, and sometimes making tyour own (if you havent made one before) could turn out more.
but if youve been practicing there shouldnt be a problem!

you can get roll out fondant from tesco's .
what design did u have in mind? coz if its only a one off cake u dont want to be buying all the unnecessary tools n it costing more.
also u can buy decorations from ebay that people have hand made ready to put on the cake!
xxx any questions just ask, thats what this thread is for :)

well im baking again today....another 2 tier drunken cocktail cake!

Ive never done a tiered cake, I keep thinking it'd sink! lol - I guess thats what the cake card and dowells are for?

Also for beginners (or everyone else) theres a few cake decorating mags i came across y'day in WHSmiths - very useful I thought x

hiya girls!
What you all up to next?

I was looking through Andrea (sweetcakers) older cakes last night and VERY relieved to see a few flaws! hehe
Its good to know even professionals werent perfect at the start!

I was attempting to make her candles! They look ok, not as good as hers though!

Just for a cake that I am making my friend for her birthday this weekend, its only been a week and im dying to make another one!! was meant to be enjoying my 2 weeks off :haha:

Girls, question:

12" Madeira cake - i'd just double a 6" cake so id do 350g butter/caster/s.r.flour , 150g plain flour and 6 eggs?

Does this sound about right??? doesnt seem enough?!?

Thanks xx

EDIT: lol - how thick am i, I multiply by four not 2!! So it'd be:

700g butter/caster/s.r. flour, 300g plain flour and 12 eggs???

Ive just bought some daisy/gerbera cutters, cant wait for them to arrive.

Andrea how do you get yours so that the petals come up if you know what i mean. Like the yellow and pink ones on the white 2 tier cake you did with a 50 on top.

https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs566.snc3/30909_400596693322_509248322_4305955_3181749_n.jpg

Nuttymummy > This cake is FAB!! I was thinking of doing something similar (after seeing your cake :blush: ) I hope you dont mind, how did you do the woman?? I wanted one a little slimmer though and holding a football scarf - am i going way out of my depth here?? Its for a lads 16th? Any tips would be ace :flower: Thank you xx

Hiya!
Just finished my latests cake. Putting it in a Spoiler so Dizzyspells doesn't see until I deliver to her tomorrow! Not that she comes in here anyway.
So HANNAH DO NOT OPEN THE SPOILER :haha:
https://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee282/xxnicxxjd/IMG_0202.jpghttps://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee282/xxnicxxjd/IMG_0200.jpg
It does say Happy at the top of the board.

Aw what a lovely cake!! I am sure she will be very happy with it hun! Well done XXX

great cake flowerfairy!

ha ha im not surprised u want her slimmer for a 16th birthday! LOL
well u cant see because ive taken the pic from slightly above but the tiers are 'whimsical' ones which mean they taper down smaller at the bottom....however u can just use normal square cakes, it wouldnt make much difference.
the only part id say was going to be hard was her holding a scarf...you could make it from ribbon though or rice paper?
not really any specific tips to give except make sure u support the arms!! :)
and DONT put it in the back of the car after a long night drinking and shut the boot lid on it...or her tits will look like this:
https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs316.snc3/28449_1489481881756_1375241402_1306691_1023735_n.jpg

LMAO it was hilarious though!! she well n truly kissed the back windscreen...it also snapped her arms off and squished most of the cake in LOL

gem to get my flowers curled up a bit i lay them over an edible glue tub to dry out a bit! :winkwink:

has anyone any idea how andrea sweetcakers does the pattern on the boards?

Do you think ity would just be laying different strips of colour then rolling out...... hmmmm it looks too neat to be that!!

great cake flowerfairy!

ha ha im not surprised u want her slimmer for a 16th birthday! LOL
well u cant see because ive taken the pic from slightly above but the tiers are 'whimsical' ones which mean they taper down smaller at the bottom....however u can just use normal square cakes, it wouldnt make much difference.
the only part id say was going to be hard was her holding a scarf...you could make it from ribbon though or rice paper?
not really any specific tips to give except make sure u support the arms!! :)
and DONT put it in the back of the car after a long night drinking and shut the boot lid on it...or her tits will look like this:
https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs316.snc3/28449_1489481881756_1375241402_1306691_1023735_n.jpg

LMAO it was hilarious though!! she well n truly kissed the back windscreen...it also snapped her arms off and squished most of the cake in LOL

:rofl: I can only imagine what the driver behind must have thought! hee hee

LMAO its kinda a replica of what my boobs looks like after 2 kids....droopy n full of deep stretchmarks LMAO

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->