Cake Making & Baking Group

kris.....yeah those bead cutters.....you just put your fondant in and fold the cutter over, it will cut a row of beads out for you and u can make them as long or as short as u like. xx

char, ive made an upsy daisy and iggle piggle before.....the upsy daisy is a bitch to make LOL

oooh love the itng cake design , i would love to attempt one of those x

I just want the toppers so they can be sent. I cant find anywhere or anyone who makes them for under about £50!

Awww congratulations Pink :)

So what is everyone upto this next couple of week?
I'm not doing much just some for the kids bun stalls at school, but TBH I can't just seem to do noraml buns anymore :blush: :rofl:

I just have to sing https://www.design-a-cake.co.uk/ praises as I placed an order yesterday afternoon and it was her at 8am this morning, it seems to be quicker RM recorded than courier.
I ordered some football toppers (60p for 12) which I think is a bargain, I also ordered the dreaded funky alphabet tappitts :shock:
Muffin cases are a bargain too,just have to see how they cook LOL.

I also rang EH about what I would need to register my kitchen, you know just in case and they said whenever I am ready call them and they'll come and look and their is a great possibility nothing would need doing, so I may just get my haed sorted and go ahead.
Even though I am only making pennies if that on orders I just know I would be the one it comes to bite on the ass :lol:

Just the cake for father in law this week, managed to persude mother in law NOT to have the boobs cake! I have suggested a square 7" made to look like the beach, and just making two little figures for it, one lay on her back, with bikini top disgarded and one lay on her front! still think it's a bit wierd, especially if you knew my father in law, but hey ho, never mind! lol!
Tried out my 1M nozzle on the weekend, made some cupcakes for fathers day and a colleagues birthday, really pleased with them seeing as its the first time I've done proper cupcakes, and best of all - they didn't separate from the cases, but not sure whether it's because I've bought a deeper muffin tin instead of the fairycake tin, or whether it could be the cupcake cases, I used dr Oetker ones this time (on offer in Tescos)?
Will post some pics this evening.

I made a boob cake for my FIL and he really liked it :) He's not the sort of person to like things like that either LOL

Well its my sisters birthday 3rd July, so i'll be making her a cake to get my practice in. Not quite sure what to do yet but when I get 'the' idea i'm sure you ladies will know about it as i'll be bombarding you with questions...just like this one:

If im making a sponge cake, am i better to do a madeira cake for shaping?? And what knife do you normally use to shape the cake??

:flower:

mummy to amber....the question is...how good are you at making cakes? LOL
if things go wrong the first time, cake not rising etc, it could end up costing alot more because youd have to bake a few cakes etc to get the right height you wanted, if its two tier you need supports called dowels (you can use straws though too), and a cake card. also a cake board for the whole cake to sit on, fondant icing (if thats what u are looking to make?) and then coloured fondant for any decorations you may want to put on it. you can buy paste colours to colour it yourself but if its only a one off cake then youd be left with tubs of paste over.
there are lots of tools that can be used for decorating, turntables, smoothers etc. these can be quite costly, but if its a one off cake u dont need all these things, ur hands alone will be good enough.
how much would you call...expensive?

thank you for replying!
cake looking at buying my mam is £80.
as for how good i am, id say alright. Im doing few pratice runs on smaller ones.
I get impression this isnt place for beginners, so thanks anyways.

Beginners are more than welcome :flower:

Im still one of the beginners asking loads of questions.
We also have a group called learning to cake make and decorate and there is instructions on there on how to make the cake and cover with fondant...

Well its my sisters birthday 3rd July, so i'll be making her a cake to get my practice in. Not quite sure what to do yet but when I get 'the' idea i'm sure you ladies will know about it as i'll be bombarding you with questions...just like this one:

If im making a sponge cake, am i better to do a madeira cake for shaping?? And what knife do you normally use to shape the cake??

I use a madeira cake if I'm carving it, find it holds better and doesn't just crumble/disintergrate and I use a serrated edged knife - but don't know if that's right - I was just trying (!!) to use logic at the time - thinking a saw is serrated if you were to cut wood, just found that it works best for me, but have no idea what everyone else does? Being nosey - what are you thinking of carving it into...tell all!!

I use a madeira cake if I'm carving it, find it holds better and doesn't just crumble/disintergrate and I use a serrated edged knife - but don't know if that's right - I was just trying (!!) to use logic at the time - thinking a saw is serrated if you were to cut wood, just found that it works best for me, but have no idea what everyone else does? Being nosey - what are you thinking of carving it into...tell all!!

Oh no, nothing major! My sister wants me to do my nephews 16th cake, and I cant be arsed/havnt the money to buy the numbered tins (plus, i'd have to have all or nothing! ) so i'm doing 2 rectangle cakes and carving the '6' - as im writing this im starting to think maybe its a bad idea?!?! But also for future reference really, I take it this is the main type of sponge thats used for decoration cakes??

Mummy-to-amber > I'm also a beginner, stick with it, this thread is very helpful :)

Beginners are more than welcome :flower:

Im still one of the beginners asking loads of questions.
We also have a group called learning to cake make and decorate and there is instructions on there on how to make the cake and cover with fondant...

Ooooo I didnt know that! Thanks hun xx

Edit: Erm......where?? x

Cassandra, have you looked into hiring the tins, I have a cake shop very local to me and another about 6 miles away, both have different shaped and number tins, always thought it would be really expensive to hire, but enquired and the one most local to me charges £3 for 4 days hire with a £10 returnable deposit, the other was £3 for 3 days with £10 returnable deposit.
Why are you thinking it will be a bad idea hun? should be ok, just break the number down into sections - i'd do a circle first or use a circular tin, cutting round something else circular in the middle and then use a different cake for the top part of the number using the same tin/circular thingy used to carve around the outside of the main part to make sure it fits the circle neatly and then shape the rest accordingly - does any of that make sense? lol! Having said that - I've never done one myself so maybe nuttymummy or another more experienced decorator could offer some better advise, but i'm sure that whatever you go for your sister and nephew will love it - as for me - I persuade everyone to have a round or square cake!:haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->