Cake Making & Baking Group

Bought some supplies and gum trag today. There's no instructions with the little bottle. How much do you put in your icing? A tiny bit or a bit?

Okay, figured out the amount, 1 teaspoon with 250g of icing. What a nightmare some of the letters and numbers are. I now have aching feet as I've been trying to get Happy Birthday Alan, 080771 for about an hour and a half now.

Okay ladies, the lettering is blue and my icing sugar is a bit stuck to some of the letters. What do I use to get them looking perfect????

once you have rolled out your icing (really thin) Let it sit on your worktop for about 15-20 mins, sometimes a bit longer depending on how moist it is.

Then try again, you should get a clean cut :) x

yes i also use 1 teaspoon to 250g of icing and also as andrea said let the icing sit for a bit you get a much better cut, i worked this out after trying several times to get happy birthday haha

I want something different in the form of cupcake toppers...any ideas?

Just a quick one to show off my Auntys first birthday cake (as in im making her another cake for wednesday, shes not 1 lol)
https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs023.ash2/34500_439305270699_588895699_6374438_7908027_n.jpg
https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs023.ash2/34500_439305280699_588895699_6374439_3433177_n.jpg
https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs023.ash2/34500_439305285699_588895699_6374440_1298726_n.jpg
It took soooo long to make all the blossoms and then individually place each one leaning in different directions in the pattern. I added little silver balls and pink glitter too :D xxx

Lovely cake KrisKitten.

Well I made my hubby's cake today for his birthday on Wednesday. It's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination but I'm quite pleased as I haven't iced a cake like this in about 20 years. So, I'm practicing for his bigger birthday next year! It's a chocolate cake.

Attachments

• Alan's 39th Birthday Cake 1.jpg
    Alan's 39th Birthday Cake 1.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Alan's 39th Birthday Cake 2.jpg
    Alan's 39th Birthday Cake 2.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Alan's 39th Birthday Cake 3.jpg
    Alan's 39th Birthday Cake 3.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 18
Thats lovely Kris! What are you doing for your aunty's second cake?

I have a number 1 (hand carved :wacko: ) cake to do for my Godsons birthday on Friday! xx

wow thats good and really cute! i wanna learn how to work with fondant just havnt got around to doing it

Hi girls, I hope you dont mind me posting in here :D just have a few questions, I am wanting to make some cupcakes for my son's 4th Birthday Party 29th of this month, never baked any before, only the ones out of a pack :dohh: :lol: I was just looking for some ideas on decoration if you girls can help me out? and where on Ebay I can get things like cases/cupcake toppers? and piping nozzles etc......Oh and what do I use for the topping :blush:
I would really like to make his Birthday cake but think I will stick to cupcakes for now :haha:
Many thanks :flower:

Hi Paula

Buttercream is good for topping.I use 2 heaped tablespoons of marg/butter a teaspoon of vanilla essence,a tiny bit of milk and icing sugar until the mixture is fairly thick and not runny.You can add flavour/colour too.

A few good shops/ebayers to search for are Johanna0167 and cuteasacupcake09

Give me a shout if i can do anything to help :)
Did u have an idea/theme in mind?

Hi girls, I hope you dont mind me posting in here :D just have a few questions, I am wanting to make some cupcakes for my son's 4th Birthday Party 29th of this month, never baked any before, only the ones out of a pack :dohh: :lol: I was just looking for some ideas on decoration if you girls can help me out? and where on Ebay I can get things like cases/cupcake toppers? and piping nozzles etc......Oh and what do I use for the topping :blush:
I would really like to make his Birthday cake but think I will stick to cupcakes for now :haha:
Many thanks :flower:

I like baking cupcakes. I use the muffin cases from Tesco's and use the recipes from Primrose Hill Bakery Book. I find their chocolate cupcakes the best, they are so moist. You can use cream cheese icing or butter icing for the tops but if you have a book or something that's the best I think. As for nozzles, I've found the Winton 12 piece decorating kit the best from the Craft Company. Here's the link https://www.craftcompany.co.uk/acatalog/info_2104_6667.html

As for things to put on top you can do whatever you want even maltesters, etc or buy little flowers from supermakets and chocolate dots etc, that you get in the supermarket too.

There are also some recipes on the first page of this thread too, if you care to look at them.

HTH

Thanks Kez :D I am totally cluless :blush: not sure about theme ideas, any ideas you have what you think your Jack would like would be great hun if you have any ideas for me? I would like brightly coloured though :D need about 30 cupcakes.....not sure where to start :lol: is there a certain size nozzle I need? thanks xx

Wilton 1m nozzle is my favourite one.It's quite big!

I did my Jack nintendo character ones for his birthday this year.Pics of those on facebook!
Or maybe some colourful monsters or pirate ones?

Primrose Hill Bakery do some funky kids party ones i want to try with chocolate icing and lots of sweeties piled all around the top...looks really effective!

Wow KK I love that cake, its fab!

Wallie....brill job hun!

I am sooo excited! I *think* I have an order for a mickey mouse clubhouse cake for thursday for a lady off here:happydance:

I'm mega excited about doing it!!

Wilton 1m nozzle is my favourite one.It's quite big!

I did my Jack nintendo character ones for his birthday this year.Pics of those on facebook!
Or maybe some colourful monsters or pirate ones?

Primrose Hill Bakery do some funky kids party ones i want to try with chocolate icing and lots of sweeties piled all around the top...looks really effective!

Do you just stick the sugar paper things on top of the fondant? :blush: sorry if I sound dumb :haha:

Thanks hun. I may just have bright coloured fondant with different colours stars, not sure yet, will have to get looking :blush: xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->