Cake Making & Baking Group

lol money seems to go nowhere doesnt it!! LOL

yeah luckily ive only done one of each..one red and one white!! but i was in a rush and didnt add gum trag so i had floppy warm white fondant to play with LOL

i had 2 cakes for saturday, but luckily one party has been postponed to tuesday so its made it easier for me! dont like making all the camouflage for the tents though :( it takes AGES!
what cake have u got andrea?

eek! i think i tried to make them out of fondant and gave in and bought ready made gumpaste! :)

next week i have, a daisy flowerpot for MIL on Wednesday

For Saturday I have a sweetie and cupcake themed 18th, and a 2 tier pink and black 30th (they are both for the same party! Cousins :) )

and Sunday a round 1st birthday cake, she wanted one like Daisys but then decided she couldnt really afford it so its now just an 8" cake, and she wants wires sticking out!

Then the week after the 50th shed cake, im quite looking forward to that one!! :)

lol i dont think i ever look forward to cakes....coz im always worried how its going to go! LOL

sounds like alot of fun cakes!

i have another army tent and another flushed away one....wish i could do new ones all the time though!! although to be honest im glad of the flushed away one as it was years ago since i made the other one and everyone comments on it and it drawn to it for some reason??!! so its nice to get the chance to re-do it once i know what im doing abit more! LOL

up on my board i have the twilight cupcakes, tent, flushed away,
then black and pink lace
paint tin
a cake that has no theme at the mo!
burnley shirt
man u shirt
cookie monster
jungle cake
aquatic cake
yellow and orange wedding cake (not looking forward to that!! yuk!)
fireman sam cake
blue and white christening with teddy
blue and white christening with baby
pearl anniversary cake
white and silver wedding
hot pink and white wedding tatty teddy
lilac and white wedding with butterfly topper

and a few others waiting to be confirmed.
it usually gets to the beginning of a new month though and a ton more orders come in LOL

some of those are new designs, but ive done a few of them before...like the shirts, paint tin, black lace etc.

Wow you 2 are busy!
Good luck!
Yep im going with the roses and blossoms....i feel bad for doing blossoms again but im just totally stuck on inspiration lol so shes getting what shes getting :haha:
xxx

dont feel bad!! theres a million and one designs for blossoms, colours, sizes, arrangements!! im sure it will look fab!

fX it will :wacko:
Ooh i have been chatting to one of my mums friends about cak making and she's revealed some of her secrets to me and permitted me to pass them on :lol:
She is famed for the most ammaazzziinnggg cakes ever, ridiculously light but really creamy as well. She reckons that you should whisk the eggs for a while before you do thebutter and sugar and then at the end you beat in flour, egg, flour, egg, flour :S
Im going to try the beating the eggs thing but im not trying the other bit until im just making a cake for home.
Definatley worth a shot though, the womans cakes are just amazing! xxx

And her mantra is eggs should always always be at room temp, never straight out of the fridge - always have them out of the fridge at least 2 hours before baking with them xxx

kris i always use my eggs at room temp :)
that was nice of her to let you share her secret :) x

Morning ladies! I am just after some advice please! :flower:

My mum is graduating in a couple of weeks time, and I'm trying to think of some inspiration for a cake! I'm by no means a super-duper cake maker, but I am pretty confident and really enjoy doing it. I've done this recently......

https://www.funcakes.co.uk/include/Birthday/little monsters_sm.jpg

... and I did Old Macdonald on his tractor, pulling a piggy in a trailer, for Flexi's first birthday :)

I'm thinking something bookish.... Owl-ish or something?? Any ideas gratefully received!

Shes a lovely woman, i had always thought the amazingness of her cakes was a big secret lol untill we were chatting the other day and she just outright told me :rofl:
She said noone knows it really because noone bothers asking lol but shes happy to share if people want to know :lol: xxx

LOL kris i do that with my eggs , whisk them up before hand then gradually flour and eggs.... :) and mine are always at room temp cos i buy packs of 30 and never have room in thr fridge for them!!
Cant wait to see your next cake!!

Holey Moley Tracey! No wonder you are starting a business!!! I dont think i could cope with the stress of that many cakes ! :)

LOL andrea....i buy packs of 15. where do u get them from?? coz when i looked it was cheaper to buy 2x packs of 15...instead of a pack of 30 from tesco...how daft is that!! LOL

kris, ive seen people do all that on tv and to be honest i dont see much of a difference?! LOL so i just whack it all in n mix it up :) sometimes if a cake is too light n fluffy it just WILL NOT carve....it drives me insane if its just crumbles LOL
hows your cake coming along?

o yes its very stressful!! especially when u find yourself running to the cake shop coz youve forgotten something vital...and then they say they havent got any in stock either and you have to drive to 40 minutes to a far away shop to pick stuff up LOL

listen to this though.....my local cake shop (i say local...shes not really but its the closest one to me!) she said she had 70 cakes to do that week....yeah SEVENTY and she works on her own. how is that even possible?!?!?!?!!?!?

70 on her own?! hmmmm..... how would she be able to do that!!!!?

We have no cake shops here at all, so i have to reply on internet so have to plan each cake way in advance so i have everything!

There is definitely an opening for cake supply shops around here!!!!

i get my packs of 30 from asda, for £2.78 i think, our tesco have just started doing 30 packs too but i hate tesco so avoid it when i can!
ideally i need a chicken or 2 in the back garden!!!

hehe my mum has chickens so thats where i get all mine from.

andrea when i was looking into this cake stuff, they have more cake decorators in scotland than anywhere else in the UK!! so im surprised theres not many shops! where r they all hiding!!?? LOL

ha ha im the opposite, i hate asda n dont go there often LOL, all my family have had awful stuff from asda...mouldy cheese on display..still in the packet!! meat lasts two seconds! and i always seem to bump into local chavs LOL i think when i worked it out it was only a difference of pence....but youd think 30 would be cheaper than buying 2x 15 egg trays!!??

twilight cupcakes done, need to take pics yet though

ha ha i should get a hen too :) LOL

ive heard many bad stories about asdas! Ours seems not too bad though, morrisons is my favourite, but i always spend too much money in there :haha:

God knows where they all are! There will be some in Edinburgh/Glasgow but none really local to me that I can just nip to if I have forgotten something!

A card shop in town stocks tacky wedding toppers, some boards and ribbons so im ok for stuff like that!

Hmmmm maybe i should open a cake supply shop! haha!

hii can i join in? :) im very very much a beginner though!!

which is why nuttymummy is making jesses first birthday cake for me!! ;)

i decided to make OHs birthday cake for monday! a pokemon cake! so ive just been and spent a small fortune on cake stuff in asda,

decided to test out my oven before i actually make the cake and see what it can do! so ive got some double chocolate cupcakes in the oven and some betty crocker chocolate butter cream frosting to go on top!

my skills are super basic and im going on what i can remember from school, so i might be asking for a lot of help lol!

ill take some pics of my first attempt when they are ready!! :) xx

i have some schocolate cupcakes in the oven and wanted to attempt a filling for them...any ideas?
xx

how do you fill them? you could do like cherry jam like black forest gatoux (sp?) i aactually want to try that haha x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->