Cake Making & Baking Group

I was thinking of doing a template of the hexagon on top of the tin first, then covering the whole cake once finished in a thinnish layer of fondant, then cover again with black and white hexagons? See, it think If I just put black hexagons on it will look uneven as hex's will stick up iykwim. :shrug:

yes i get you/mine did stick up a bit but i had to roll very flat.It's one of the hardest cakes to do.I know a few who don't even attempt it lol.

Next time i'm doing the pitch as i said before and putting a half ball on top!

https://images.google.co.uk/imgres?...images?q=football+cake&hl=en&gbv=2&tbs=isch:1

thats a good idea, its only for a gang of 7 lads at the local renault garage do dont want anything too big you know. I thought of doing the tshirt but i wanna have a go at the footy!

That has both patches on it.Some people butter ice the patches on similar to Traceys me to you bear but i guess that'll take forever x

it is fun this way but fiddly lol

Attachments

• football cake.jpg
    football cake.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 9
well my strawberry cupcakes were a disaster! i mustve put too much batter in the cases cus they didnt rise just spread out looked like a cookie on the top and cake underneath! and my buttercream was too warm so wouldnt pipe properly so just shoved it on and stuck some sprinkles on top, they taste really nice im not taking a picture cus they look gross lol! x

Its the thought that counts... right??
:haha: didnt turn out as planned...
and then i get them to my nephew and he hasent a clue what sesame street is :(

Attachments

• 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 15
they are really cool! better than what i can do!!

lol boothh who cares what they look like as long as they taste good!
:D
Kim those look great, lol feel sory for your nephew - if he doesnt know what sesmae street is then its him thats suffering :nope:
:haha:

it the mouths mainly, i ran ouut of the black icing i was useing so had to make some runny up... enough said i think lol. i love my cookie monster though, its so hard to do ckaes in my family though cause i have 2 lactose intolerant nephews so have to be careful how we decorate (hence the random boubons) :haha:

OK so heres the tank cake ive just made BUT i forgot to make and add a gun?!?! So I need some help - what can I do to make a gun??I was thinking some silver / black wires as easy to insert!

What you think??

https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs065.snc4/34600_425625667224_516032224_4278731_2036114_n.jpg

https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs085.ash2/37613_425626532224_516032224_4278741_4544797_n.jpg

Thank you :) Im chuffed to bits with it - its my 4th time using fondant so i'm a happy bunny! Theres a few things I need to change next time but I think my nephew will be happy :) :)

OK so heres the tank cake ive just made BUT i forgot to make and add a gun?!?! So I need some help - what can I do to make a gun??I was thinking some silver / black wires as easy to insert!

What you think??

https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs065.snc4/34600_425625667224_516032224_4278731_2036114_n.jpg

https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs085.ash2/37613_425626532224_516032224_4278741_4544797_n.jpg
That is fab!!! Well done hun!

Argghhh I have a dilemma!

I have a really good oppurtunity, but I'm not 100% confident I can do it...but I might not get the chance again.

The wedding shop Ant Works at has asked him if I would take over doing their wedding cakes full time:shock: The lady that does them atm is old and is doing her last one..........

Thing is, I'm not confident on my fondant covering skills....wedding cakes have to be perfect as we all know, but sometimes I crease the fondant over when smooting it down or its not completely smooth, but with celebration cakes you can 'hide' flaws like this....
Ive not even attempted one yet, I was going to do a dummy one for the display in the shop and see how I found it (the wedding cake I was doing Andrea)

What should I do? Has anyone got any tips at all for covering a cake perfectly? I currently only use a small side smoother and a larger top smoother, Ive read that using 2 large smoothers on the sides and a curved one for around the top can give a better finish? How thick should the fondant be ideally?
I'm really stuck as to what to say now.:wacko:

Wow Jac, thats fantastic!! What an opportunity! Could the lady who is retiring not help you? and give you her best tips etc??

I think your cakes are fantastic and i'd be happy if you did my wedding cake!! Go for it!! :)

Good luck XX

eeekkk its a tough one, but like you say may not come up again!

How soon would it be? Would you have time to practice a good few times?

I was extremely nervous about making a wedding cake, right the way through it and even then i wasnt entirely happy with it.

But i will say this, after seeing the bride and groom with the cake , all happy and cutting it etc it made it worth it!!! Was such a lovely feeling!! :D x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->