Cake Making & Baking Group

i emailed the woman about the mummy cake saying i cuddnt do it for £40 , she emailed me back and said just do what i need to do with the cake and not to worry about the price because she has time to save up!

think im gonna still do a fruit just because it means i dont have to rush it and can take my time, i always feel like im rushing when i do a sponge AND my sponge is crap!!

well girls....cake no 2 is done!! its lemon n very yummy if i do say so myself..........
pic comin up!!!!

sara

xxxxxxxx

OOO Sara, it looks great!

Well today is the day of the cake making! Disaster has struck already! :dohh: Sponge number one sank!
I have no idea why, I did everything I normally do!

Attempt number 2 is in the oven now, fingers and toes crossed!!
At this rate I am going to run out of eggs!

Oh no! Hope this sponge is more successful. Is it 2 tiers you're doing?

i am absolutely rubbish at sponge !!

i have to make a bus cake in december, will it be better to try and do deeper sponge cakes or a few thinner layers?

i always do 3 layer sponges and i bake them seperately so i don't need to try and cut it myself.

i think im gonna need about 3-4 layers plus one for the front of the bus i think, might just use the packet stuff though :blush:

Yep 2 tiers! I have no idea what I was doing wrong because I had mastered this recipe! Anyway 2 lots in the bin!

Cake number 3 and 4 were perfect! Decided to make the sponge pink as it is a Barbie cake!

I use 2 sandwich tins then sandwich them together, I always failed using deep tins! Although Tracey uses deep tins with less mixture to get perfect sides on her cakes :winkwink: :D

i have run out of eggs and caster sugar so need to wait till later to do Daisy's cake, I wanted to get them all done in one go, I am dreading my electric bill!!!

i think im gonna need about 3-4 layers plus one for the front of the bus i think, might just use the packet stuff though :blush:

Have faith ! I would have said that my recipe was fail safe but this morning was a disaster! I think I measured the ingredients wrong, thats what I get for starting baking at 7am!

The equal measures sponge cant really go wrong if you measure everything right! :blush:

I made a really nice, fluffy sponge with sour cream in it. It was really easy and it made a nice tall cake. I'll give you the recipe if you like.

I made a really nice, fluffy sponge with sour cream in it. It was really easy and it made a nice tall cake. I'll give you the recipe if you like.
:happydance:yes please!!:happydance:
i think i make a fab fruit cake but cannot do sponge very well unless its a coconut one then it tastes gorgeous!

2 1/4 C sifted Cake Flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 sticks of butter
2 C granulated sugar
4 Lg egg yolks
2 tsp vanilla
1C sour cream
4 Lg egg whites

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare and line 2-8X3" or one 12X3 inch pan with parchment.

Sift togather dry ingredients and set aside. Cream butter until light and fluffy, about 2 min. Add sugar and continue to combine until fluffy and light. Add yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla.

Reduce speed to low and add dry ingredients, alternating with the sour cream, beginning and ending with the dry. Scrape down sides of bowl and beat for 1 min.

In a separate bowl, beat egg whites to soft peaks form. Gently fold egg whites into batter with rubber spatula.

Bake 8" layers 45-50 min and the 12" pan 60 min or until golden brown.

it's reallllly delicious.

and I did 3 8" layers from that recipe. They would have spilled out of the sandwich tins if I did 2.

Oh and a stick of butter is 115g :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"