Cake Making & Baking Group

i love lemon cake with mascapone cheese and lemon curd in , yummy!!

heya all, just got back off holiday!!
mmmm lemon cake!! i made a lempon wedding cake, one layer with lemon buttercream, and another with lemon curd coz some people dont like lemon curd.

dont have no new cakes yet.....not till 3rd of october....trying not to take any on coz i got WAAAY over run before, n i dont want to make too mnay with anewborn...its hard enough as it is :rofl: i have wedding cake orders though years in advance lol

Tracey! Wondered where you had got to! :D

Can't believe you take orders years in advance I think i would lose the plot! I am constantly altering the ideas for cake i have ordered and still not happy!

I am glad you are back cos I will probably need you this week! :wacko:

I was thinking about you the other day when I was looking at cakes people are selling on Ebay, yours are sooooo much better!!

ok kso i've tried the lemon cake girlies!!!! the second cake is in the oven now!!! just waiting for it to cook n then i'll be icing it tomorrow night :happydance: it seems soooo soft n squidgy!! cant wait to get it iced n try it !!!! will be posting pix when its all done!!! :dance:

sara

xxxx

Question for you girlies

i have been asked to make a cake , a dead mummy cake (like with bandages) they want it fruit and 18inches long but wont pay over £40, the cake board i need for it is like £4 plus all the ingredients, do you think this is possible while leaving myself some profit, i normally wouldnt mind about the profit but its not for friends or family so dont really want to be doing all the time and effort for nothing? or should i just tell them no?

I would tell them exactly how much it is going to cost you, electric or gas costs etc then tell them the amount of hours you will be puting in and explain that there is no way you can do it for that.

I am getting £25 for a cake that is costing me about £40! But you are much more experienced than me so I would definitely charge so you have some profit!

even getting asda smartprice stuff (mixed fruit etc) and not including brandy its gonna cost about £25 at the very very least

she wants something like this
https://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww275/rainbowprincess83_2009/9616_102859003059207_10000005324806.jpg

its gonna take a bit of time, i might just say no unless she wants to pay more, i have been quite busy with my website too

Yep there's no way you could do all that for £40! A sponge would be cheaper but even then it would push it,
plus there is all that stripes of fondant! Will take bloody ages!

everytime i look at this thread i get hungry !! :rofl:

pink..that would be impossible!!! ud lose alot of money on it.

Fruit cake is almost impossible to carve because of all the raisins...u can plug the holes up with marzipan but its ALOT of work n it can be very bumpy once u try to carve it. can u not persuade them into sponge? it would be alot easier. i love the idea though!!
just bake two 8" squares (or 2 10" if u want it bigger) lay them out like a rectangle n cut out the shape. doing this with fruit would be a total nightmare. just let them know its not possible for their budget but could be acheived with sponge??
xxx

I am getting super nervous now, just found out today that the little girl, whos cake it is , is carrying around the picture I drew of how the cake will look :dohh: She has taken it to school and shown everyone so no pressure!

Any advice on how to get the perfect finish on fondant? i want it to be really smooth.

Also I am attempting stripes again, I have done them a few times now but would really really appreciate any tips you lot have!

level the cake, and go round the sides so it's all even (I chill my cakes first then it doesn't crumble when I cut the sides) then do a BC crumb coat, let it dry completely, lightly go over it with your hands so the sharp edges come off, then BC again.

Thank you! I just watched a vid on youtube and it was pretty crazy how smooth this woman got her cake, but it involved a certain brand paper towels, plus the buttercream was the cakes only icing so it wasnt to fondant on top of iykwim?

Blah, have you made anything else yet?

Just a chocolate cake for my OHs birthday which is today actually :D didnt fondant it though, just frosted. I need to start decorating more cakes soon.

Fondant is really hard to do IMO :(

andrea...the method u saw was the 'viva method' its american. they have paper towels and the brand is Viva (it has no pattern on it) thats how they get it smooth...if we tried it over here we'd have imprints of little dots all over it :rofl:
plus the buttercream is mostly made from veg fat so it crusts a little.
i have only tried it once half-heartedly n i wasnt keen!! lol

have no tips for stripes....are u using fondant strips, or are u piping? i use fondant stripes, i just cut them, lay them on the cake quickly where they will go and stick them down....if u leave it too long the fondant wil slowly set and they can crack.

good luck!!

ive just been given an order for a last minute birthday cake....she was having a horse for her birthday but it died!!! so they r throwing her a last minute birthday party to cheer her up. they arent bothered what they want....just something pink n girly for a 10 year old (which is proving quite difficult!!) i have no idea what 10 year olds r into.....the last cake i made her was the pink box with the horse popping out of it, but she said not to include horses on this one for obvious reasons!!!
she wants to spend £20-£25.....truth is though all my supplies have increased greatly from last year n i dont know if its possible (havnt worked prices out for ages!!) so im thinking a simple round with a 2d pic of a tatty teddy, or maybe the 'hello kitty'?? are these ok for any age? she wants pink fluff round the bottom too!! xx

AAwww Hello kitty would be lovely! I have one in my folder of "cake ideas" will dig it out!
Poor girl, thats a shame about her horse! :sad1:

Yep using fondant for the stripes, I am not going to stress over them, if they dont work I will just change tactics and use spots all over the cake!

Hello Kitty cake
https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l158/taperjean/hello_kitty_cake.jpg

I made a fondant bow last week, i loved making it!

i love that hello kitty cake!! my sisters birthday is on the 23rd might do that for her shes 22 :rofl: but im sure she wont mind!

andrea u r a god send!! thats totally perfect, but i'll have to put fluff round the bottom coz thats a must!! lol. im definitly going to do something like this i think! thank-u so much!

pink...ye deffo do it, it fits any age, i made a spongebob square pants one for my bros 28th :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->