Cake Making & Baking Group

i spent loads but i think it was just because i was there, i didnt find anything cheap really but loved taking photos of all the cakes for ideas!

pink thats fab!!

andrea i totally forgot to tell u...do u know about the interntional cake show in Birmingham...dont know how far that is from u? i went last year.....LOADS of amazing cakes there and inspiration, n then u can buy LOADS of cake decorating stuff (a tad dear in some places, but bargains in another!) with new cake gadgets too!! u can even enter cake making competitions for all different levels n areas.

think the tickets are about £8.00

i drove 2 hours to get there....queued in a giant queue (coz top gear was on at the same time!) n came home with 3 pots of glitter n a jigsaw cutter :rofl:

I had never heard of it till now! Is a bit of a drive but might visit my sister in Hereford and pop over! I love this sort of thing!
I'll be sure to leave any credit cards at home!

i just got a leaflet posted to me about it yesterday its on the 7-8th november

its£9.00 on the door this year £7.50 advanced price and £13 for two days

OOooo I have 3 cakes to make over January/February so I might consider going and stocking up on supplies!

All these people ordering cakes seem to have an awful lot of faith in me :shock: It is all making me very nervous seeing as I only started a couple of months ago!

Pink, Tracey, any advice on how to get everything smoothly without panic for a first "real" cake order?!

im a sod for lists, i have lists for everything

so i always write down a plan for each one i do, the things i need and how much and also when i do things ...so this day do this etc and i always collect everything i need and put it all together in a corner.

i proberly do things the long and hard way though !!...lol

I am a lister too! I have a list for everything so I think thats how I will do it too!! There is so many little blossoms on the cake so I have made a start on all that, and I have done all the fiddly bits for Daisy's cake too so I just need to pray that all the sponges rise! and the icing goes on smoothly!

Quick question girls, if anyone can help.

Made a Victoria sponge yesterday, filled with buttercream and jam. Recipe says 'eat straight away or else refridgerate.' Not eating it till tomorrow (LOs birthday) but I put it in the fridge last night and it seems quite hard now.

Would you keep it in the fridge?? Have never done so before with cakes to be honest!

I think the only cake I kept in the fridge was a gataeu type one that had fresh cream in it.

If it is just a basic victoria sponge with buttercream and jam I would leave it out of the fridge doll xxx

Nope, nothing new over here.

What do you girls put in your chocolate cakes as a filling? I made a ganach but it didn't whip up like I wanted it to :( and it sorta 'set' a bit. It was still delicious but i wanted a more buttercream type consistancy.

i might attempt a sponge tonight. my last one turned out pants!!

I hate when I make a horrible cake. I feel obliged to eat it even if its horrid!

Blah I just use the pre made stuff for choccy fillings, I cant be bothered with the hassle of making it!
Betty Crocker make a chocolate buttercream or a chocolate fudge, they are both really yummy!

right girls i wanna make a really nice lemon cake !! anyone got any recipies/ideas to make it extra special?????

sara

xxxxxxxx

Sara use the recipe for the sponge I gave you and add the rind of one unwaxed lemon and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice :D

It is YUMMY! I think i will make one tomorrow!

OMG I've just seen this thread, can I join in?! I made a gorgeous low fat banana bread a few days ago, I'll have to post the recipe in a bit. I love baking, only problem is I tend to eat the entire thing which doesn't help with weight loss! :blush:

Hiya Lu! Welcome! Remember to post pics of your yummy creations for us all to see!

hi lu!!!!!!!
thanks andrea what can i use for a filling?? i was thinking of using a bit of lemon curd and butter cream ??? what do you all think????

sara

xxxxxxx

Yep i filled mine with Vanilla buttercream and lemon curd and it was YUMMY!!! mmmmm

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->