Cake Making & Baking Group

lovely lovely yummy yummy suz!!! .. i want your recipe for that orange and pink frosting!!!! lol

have been experimenting today.
anyone used weird things to decorate cupcakes?

today i used rainbow drops on my lemon ones!
they look cool too! really summery and pretty.
(the middle bit is a white malteser)

https://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s51/tsia977/Image1006.jpg https://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s51/tsia977/Image1007.jpg

Good idea Tsia! I used to eat rainbow drops when I was on weight watchers :haha: wonder what they'd be like in the sponge?!

ooooh now theres an idea.
can you tell me your recipe for your frosting please? I am really struggling with mine. keeps going all melted. more icing sugar i add the stiffer but sweeter it gets.
what else can I use to make it more stiff but not more sweet. cornflour?

Whenever I do buttercream I follow Jane Asher's rule! However much icing sugar you use just halve for the amount of butter....so I used 400g icing sugar and 200g butter. I added a teensy bit more icing sugar into my pink, about 2 tablespoons if that, to stiffen it because I used liquid food colouring rather than the paste. X

thanks. so doest anything else ever get put in it? cream cheese i tried which was ok, how about whisked up double cream in its stiff state??

I keep getting.. 'ooh lovely cupcakes but arent they sweet!'' then they screw their faces up!

lol
gotta make them less sweet!

PP once suggested a pinch of salt to make it less sweet, not tried it myself though - i always use fresh whipped cream frosting xxx

Maybe use a smaller amount of buttercream if people are saying they are too sweet?

right I'm confused.. take your pictur for eg Glitter.. is that buttercream? or something different?
how can I use less if I want them to look good.
whats your recipe for that cupcake topping in your advatar..?

/...it may give me an idea where i am going wrong. x

i always use buttercream for my cuppies.. i tyhink people find it so sweet because we all usually use the big wilton nozzle

Yeah, agree with the above, there is too much buttercream for my liking with the wilton nozzle but they just look good!

Yes thats exactly right strawberry.
Yep its buttercream...2 large scoops of marg a bit of vanilla essence and then icing sugar added until its the right consistency.Sometimes i add a splash of milk.

When i switched to the Wilton 1m nozzle Dad started to say they were a bit too sweet and i find the icing too sweet because there is so much of it BUT i prefer how they look with the bigger nozzle.

taste-wise i prefer spreading buttercream on with a pallete knife but with fresh cream the 1m looks lovely =] x

you can take a little sweetness out by using "slightly salted" butter xxx

Well i dont eat my cakes so i duno about sweetness ect, i tried making royal icing today, but it just seemed to all melt wen was piped :L
back to the buttercream it is! xx

Heres this weekends cake for my nephew :)

https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs602.snc4/58253_444160102224_516032224_4714078_1020491_n.jpg

oh wow!!! that is one brill cake!!

whats the 'meat' bit, just plain sponge left uncovered? cant see.

Thanks hun, yeah I was going to cover it but decided I couldnt be bothered lol so left that sponge bit open :) So the burger is made from chocolate sponge and the bun is just normal sponge" xx

well its really brilliant! wish I had the guts to try summink like that! hope the birthday boy appreciates it. :)

Wow cassandra you never fail to amaze me!!!! :) looks awesome! :) will take pics of K's giant cupcake an mini ones when i get them to my parents :) xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->