Cake Making & Baking Group

I have made up lilac, pink and white butterflies and flowers today from icing sugar and veg oil!! lol

lets see what happens as they dry out. Theyre for a simple iced cake for my mum on friday.

oh my lord! i've just discovered this. I'm a wannabe cake maker, i suck at all things bake tbh but you ladies are inspiring me [and making me HUNGRY!]..xx

Hiya MissMammatobe! :)

Made a quick giant doughnut cake today.

Attachments

• P9052581.jpg
    P9052581.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 14
Mmmm doughnut cake!! Was it made of doughnut or sponge?? Looks fab! Great idea xx

MMMMMM LOOKS TASTY GLITTERF!!!

Any one recommend anything to try for a birthday cake on thursday.. taking 100 mile trip on friday to my mum.
I have never used roll out icing on a cake yet so want to try that.. was going to try two tier but realise its far too much and no where to put the cake (my mum is visiting from Lanzarote where she lives) so mum cant exactly take the cake home with her.

We are on dodgy talking terms at the moment after an incident that happened back in march but thats another story.. I am semi talking to her and besides.. any excuse to make a cake!
She is only visiting so she can see Mylo cos after what happened I wont go to her villa anymore.

Anyways.. so the icing butterflies I have made.. with gerbera flowers.. all using the plunger cutters..
but what sort of design on a one tier cake covered with rolled white fondant can I do? In fact... I may want to do yellow.. can I just buy the 'ready to roll' stuff and buy yellow colouring?
All the colourings from morrisons are CRAP.. from experience.. I know Sainsburys do the silver spoon ones.. the green and blue I have from that but its liquid, it'll change the consistency and I suppose I will have to add more icing sugar. Oh dear I can see all this going tits up! lol
I dont think if I bought a paste one off ebay it would be here by thursday? dunno.. may go message some sellers.. anyone recommend an ebay seller that sends fast and sells the yellow paste/gel food colouring?

Thankx

If its just a one off cake then i would get ready coloured stuff, but then thats if you want a strong colour. If you just want a pale tint then buy the ready to roll stuff from the supermarket and get a colour paste.
I find for making stronger colours yourself using colour paste and colour powder together works best, i never use the liquids xxx

Hey hun,

I find that covering a round cake with sugarpaste is easier than sqaure, but that might just be me! The food colouring you buy from the supermarkets is NOT for colouring sugarpaste and it'll just make it go sticky/tacky.

You can either buy yellow sugarpaste pre-made but its quite a yellow yellow iykwim whereas to colour yourself you can make it as light or dark as you want. The colouring you need are wilton or sugarflair pastes - cost about £2 per pot but they last forever (ish) these are specially for sugarpastes :)

What I would do is watch videos on youtube for covering cakes (they call it fondant on there - same as sugarpaste just the American term i think!) Thats how I learnt how to cover my first cake and that was only in June!

As for ideas, have a look on google images - i'll have a think, if you need any more help were here xx

thanks,t there is a cake shop up the road from me in the next village that has a bakery and a fabulous cake making and decorating bits to buy. I'll go see if they have some there.. otherwise I'll get some colour powder. Already bought some of that in purple.. thats how I made the lilac butterflies and flowers earlier on today.. the pink I used a bit of Dr Oetkgers ready coloured paste in wit hthe white I had made.. but yellow, there just isnt enought to cover a cake so I go have a fish around tomorrow. :thumbup:

TSIA - i always cover my cakes with the 1kg white ready to roll icing from asda (its about 2.40), and then i colour it myself. I take it out the pack and kneed it. Then i roll it into a ball. I only have liquid colouring ( i use silverspoon and dr oetker) I dip my cocktail stick into the colour and stab my icing ball - then kneed it again to spread the colour, i keep doing it (with a fresh cocktail stick) till its the colour i want.
It doesnt go sticky and i just put icing sugar on the worktop then roll it out, then cover my cake :) xx

okay finally got a minute to post - well it was K's second party of the week yesterday :)

https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs437.snc4/48063_435072907866_625747866_4956692_2857307_n.jpg

https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs605.snc4/58531_435073572866_625747866_4956733_4708918_n.jpg

https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs428.snc4/47156_435074372866_625747866_4956770_2405038_n.jpg

https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs302.ash2/58272_435074552866_625747866_4956777_4623548_n.jpg

https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs628.snc4/58844_435074812866_625747866_4956792_6014148_n.jpg
Thats the A and I from Kaitlyn, i had a letter in each cake then a number one, but they all got eaten before i got a chance to take pics, i also did 6 with jelly beans, 6 with choc curls, and i have 2 orders for bdays for giant cupcakes and 36 cupcakes, a baby shower and a ladies bday! :) xx

is that the cake show? I want to.. was thinking about it the other day..
when is it?

Lovely cakes Danielle!

Here is todays cupcakes...

Attachments

• P9062593.jpg
    P9062593.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 11
thanks GF :) your cupcakes look yummy -- how do you keep your icing peaky? xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics