Cake Making & Baking Group

i think il just stick to the craft company from now on or just pop into the cake shop shame its so long away!! mind you if i did a monthly stock up of cakes i knew i had to doi guess wouldnt be so bad unless had a last minute cake like this one!! eeeek

Hello! :waves:
My DS1 came home from school yesterday with a letter saying they are having a cake sale in school on the 19th..so im determined that he will take some cakes in! heh..so im currently doing some rainbow cupcakes..they are in the oven now and will be ready any min, they shall have icing and smarties on top. Im then going to attempt some with orange icing and halloween toppers on. wish me luck! lol

Oooo cant wait to see! they sound yummy! Post your piccies hun xx

well done georgie x.. they look lush

Ladies I am in need of some desperate help

I am doing a wedding cupcake tower for my friends wedding on Saturday and am struggling with the icing. I wanted a cream cheese icing, because they are cupcakes I feel that a buttercream icing is too sickly with the amounts that go onto cupcakes

However the cream cheese icing is a little too runny and although it holds a shape, it's not as strong a shape as I want like you can get with butter icing.

Has anyone tried italian icing?
Any suggestions or shall I just make a buttercream icing with a small amount of cream cheese in it?

Also I want them to be deep purple. When I add my violet colouring it only goes lilac. Will it work if I add a little of the liquorice colouring in too?

Thanks!

I'm not sure about the deep purple, but I just add more icing sugar if it is not as stiff as I would like x

Right Ladies...
I've been eyeing up this thread for many months now, and with Christmas coming up I've finally decided a 'theme' for my presents. (Cup)Cakes and Decoration. Unfortunately this is where I'm stuck already. I've baked before and love making (cup)cakes but everything required is at my parental home in a different country, so I'm starting from scratch. Apart from 1 decorated cake with home made marshmallow fondant (made roses) I've never stepped into the decoration side of things.

Wondering if you could perhaps write out what you own at the moment and what might be on your wishlist? From tins to cutters and mold, anything and everything so I can start writing up a list.

Btw, I love, love, love all the cakes, cupcakes and cookies that have been made so far. I can not believe the skill some of you ladies have when it comes to decorating (pretty much all of you who have tried to be honest!) - gorgeous

Theses are the things I have equipment wise, but I try not to buy unless I'm going to use it ets...So i'll list the most used first as these might come first on your list...

Baking Tins - Round & Square are most used, all others are novelty - I have the Silverwood multi square tin, which I recommend for starting out! Its about £30 but worth it and comes flat packed for easy storage!

Bowl & Several Spoons - You may already have these in the cupboards, but I have specific wooden spoons for my baking

Scales - I have a digi set, only a cheapie but v.useful

Rolling Pin

A Smoother

Pallet Knife

A cake leveller

Craft Knife, Tweezers & Toothpicks - These help with small detail

Tappits, Cutters & Plungers - I have the alphabet in 2 different fonts at the min, I buy as I need as well as a lace/frill set. I also have a set of Round, Square & Heart cutters that came tinned and I have butterflies & flower Plungers.

Edibles...

Sugar Paste - aka Fondant / Ready to Roll icing

Sprinkles

Food Colouring

Think thats it! I cant think! lol

Thanks Cassandra!
I'd never even heard of a multi tin or plungers... I did wonder how the butterflies got made. The multi tin also looks incredibly useful and a lot handier than seperate squares in different sizes. Will definitely look into that one for my Christmas list

Thinking of getting some tappits before Christmas (random present, we all need them) as the lettering on the decorated cake was a bloody nightmare and ended up looking ridiculous. Tappits seem like a perfect solution there

Hmm, not sure about perfect - but you'll soon wonder why when you start to use them! You need a certain knack, lets say and its a real pain in the arse! But I dont think there is anything else, so this would be you're place to moan hee hee

I still having a swearing session whenever I get them out! oh the joys!

Just finished the main frame of a campervan that I'm doing - will clean up now and finish details tomorrow! I'm whacked! Night ladies xx

PS Just noticed I'm not a million miles from where you live. Do you know Newton Le Willows? Just outside of St.Helens - Well Thats me!

I can't really add to cassandra's list I think she has covered it.

As for the Tappitts, make sure you don't have a swear box, it will cost you a fortune, my mum looked terrified when I was trying yesterday :rofl:

These are my ones from last week

https://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d22/jodielou/cakes%20and%20stuff/DSCF2697.jpg
https://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d22/jodielou/cakes%20and%20stuff/DSCF2695.jpg
They were Choc sponge with Orange flavour toppings

and Jacks birthday cake
https://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d22/jodielou/cakes%20and%20stuff/DSCF2853.jpg
https://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d22/jodielou/cakes%20and%20stuff/DSCF2856.jpg
Bloody Tappitts :rofl:

Cassandra - I have to admit that we don't often head that way, so I wouldn't exactly know where to find it, but with it being near St Helens I do have a good idea =) ... Not too far away indeed! I don't often wander past the Mersey though, usually stay on the Wirral unless it's for trips back to Holland.

Thanks for the tip Jo! So tappits aren't quite what I imagined them to be either then, bet I'll have 'fun' practising =D Love your cupcakes, I assume the icing is piped on? What tip did you use?

Also, shouldn't have opened this thread before my breakfast. Bran Flakes seem so boring and plain now

I know that as a complete newbie I have no right to be giving advice, but just thought I'd check. Before using the tappits, do any of you brush the fondant (or whatever you're using for the lettering) with some flour? When reading up yesterday I saw that suggested to stop it sticking and get it out easier, that and take the tappit off quickly rather than slowly.

I use the wilton 1M nozzle

Oh I've tried everything with them bloomin contraptions, sometimes they come out other times and depending on the letter they get all hormonal and awkward!!

They should be renamed "whackthemfrigginghards!!"

:rofl: "whackthemfrigginghards!!" :thumbup: Would suit them down to the ground!

Is there a drool smilie? Off to check, Jo, you never fail to impress yum yum!

Hmm, suddenly not looking forward to it so much any more. See, I'm an odd combination of being very patient yet giving up after no time. If something goes well I don't care if it takes ages... if I can't do it first time round however, it's not worth trying again.

So, the advice on here tells me to ignore what I read about flicking them up fast and carefully, and just whack them instead. Fun! =D

Campervan! :)

https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs359.snc4/44202_456129787224_516032224_4957307_6100592_n.jpg

Wonderful pretty two tone cupcakes Jo!

Campervan is ACE cass!!!! well done you!

Can we get a partition together to the company that makes the plunger cutters and get them to make some alphabet ones? SERIOUSLY.. I want some plunger alphabet cutters!!!!!! I am sick to death of those tappits! Who on earth designed them? Its not like you can even geta cocktail stick in behind some of them!!! geeeez

I am going to try and make a simplified version of this

wish me luck

Attachments

• 3532745473_ddacb4685b.jpg
    3532745473_ddacb4685b.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 19

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members