Cake Making & Baking Group

ladies am gonna have a go at makin some cupcakes tomorrow. with the pipeing iceing what do i by and how do i get my cupcake not 2 burn at the top cos it always does? xx

I use 12oz icing sugar and 6oz butter, works well for me, I also add a few drops of vanilla extract into it.
I have my fan assisted oven on 180.

ARGH I'm stressing out over delivering this wedding cake. It's too heavy for me to manage on my own (stuggled to move it from one side of the kitchen to the other!) My mum is coming in the car with me but she's not very strong and is meant to be watching Amelia. I think I'll manage to get it into the car and then have to ask someone at the venue to come and help me carry it.

How people manage with these massive cakes is beyond me! It's a double height 12", then a 9" and 6". It must weigh over 2 stone.

I'm going to take a few when I get it there as my kitchen is still covered in icing sugar where the cake is and I don't want to try to carry it across to the other surface again lol

Ok cool. Hope you get it there safely.. Is there not a neighbour that could help you?

I'm right near Cheshire Oaks.

The cake and cuppies made it there safely:happydance: A big strong man carried it from the car to the table and they let me park in one of their disabled bays. Only problem was my forgetting the naffing cupcake stand and having to go back and get it. But it's there, in one piece and I'm made up! :happydance: I forgot to take my phone to get pics of it set up but the bride will get pics. I got a couple before I packed it up so I'll post them tonight. Gosh it's been stressful!!! x

I bet you're glad it's all done, can't wait to see pics. Did you watch Big Fat Gypsy Weddings - with the massive pink castle? God knows how they moved that thing, it's was huge!

I've been itching to make my first cake, and then I realised that it was my uncle's birthday yesterday so I could make him a cake as we'll see him over the weekend. So I decided to do a basic chocolate sponge with choc buttercream, and then just ice it with fondant. It's the first time I've ever made a proper cake, let alone iced one.

I definitely learnt a lot. Only have a 9" rolling pin which caused issues, and even though the pack of regalice said one pack will ice a 7" round cake - it didn't! I had to roll it out really thin, so it split in two places on the sides. I managed to patch it up (badly) but covered it with the decorations. I also cut out all the circles while I was waiting for the crumb coat to set, so they were dry by the time I put them on and some cracked a bit. I also need to practice my crumb coating skills - so cack-handed!
Anyway, I'm massively impressed with how it came out. And I can't wait to do another one. So glad I've picked up so much helpful information from this thread, you're all fab :thumbup: Here it is:

https://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac169/CocoaOne/bdab631f.jpg

Again, sorry for massive pic, can't resize on my phone x

That looks fab considering what you just said!!

Ooh I want to be right by Cheshire oaks!!! :) Want shoes from there lol but cba driving 40 odd mins :)

Can't wait to see wedding cake!

Thank you!

I've learnt so much from doing it, and it's true what you all say, it looks much easier than it is :haha: I think I might try to do a Waybuloo cake for my LOs 1st birthday, but I'm going to need a lot more practice - I don't think my modelling will be up to scratch. I have also learnt to invest in some gloves for colouring fondant, especially when it's blue and you have to handle white fondant after.....

omgsh Cocoa- you should see my hands after using pink, blue and black colouring on fondant. They are stained as! :dohh:

I'll post a piccie of my cake i made tonight in a bit :)

Here's a pic of the monster! Sorry it's a rubbish pic, it was just too heavy to move it to a better place for a nice pic. I'm hoping one of the wedding guests/photographer took a good pic of it all set up as it looked much nicer with the star fountain on the top, rather than the hole here lol
https://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu166/LisaGandAmelia/IMAG0019.jpg

Here are the cuppies she asked for too. Again they were all set up on a stand so hopefully I'll get a better pic from her FB.
https://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu166/LisaGandAmelia/IMAG0022.jpg

The cake was made to replicate a picture the bride sent me only she wanted silver stars. So it's not my design. The top two are 6" and 9" chocolate with chocolate fudge filling and the bottom is a double height 12" in vanilla with vanilla buttercream and rasberry jam filling.

Well done Cocoaone!!! That cake is amazing for your 1st one!!! You learn so much from each cake you make x

Whoppy - the cakes look fab! So professional looking, I bet the bride was chuffed to bits! I hope they send you a pic of it all set up - it'll look even more impressive with all the lights etc on it.

Well my uncle and my nieces and nephew loved the cake I made. I was worried about how nice the sponge would be, but they didn't believe I'd made it and said it was delicious (although they would probably gobble anything down!) I want to make everyone cakes now to get more practice, but everything is too close together.
I've got my mum's birthday on 28th March, niece's birthday on 30th March, my sister's birthday on 1st April, my LO's 1st bday party on 2nd April, mother's day on 3rd April and LO's actual birthday on 6th April. And then nothing until July!

OMG that's a busy ole time!!!! You have to make LO's cake, they're so much fun to do. I've got Amelia's to do and really I should be starting it now as I have a lot of models to make and I've not really made any before. I need a bit of a break from sugar though!

Whoppy the cake and cupcakes are gorgeous! Well done.. And can I just say your fridge made me smile.. Thats so cute...

And can I just say your fridge made me smile.. Thats so cute...

I thought this too - so sweet!

I also noticed the Lakeland bag on top of the fridge, I bloody love Lakeland but it's soooo expensive, I'd bankrupt myself if the local one wasn't 25 miles away!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->