Cake Making & Baking Group

I tried it and I didnt think they came out great but when I uploaded the pics a few have said they look great. I will get a pic of it up later when I get home from work.

Hey girls. bit scared about posting in here with all the pros!! But wondering if anyone can help me ?
I want to make a simple sponge cake, cause i love baking but ive gone and bought some ready to roll white icing, so i want to use that and see if it comes out any good. Can anyone tell me what to do ? I only have one cake tin, but its a pretty biggish one. Is that ok ?

I dont really know much about cakes but I would love to try it one day. I watch cake boss a lot though lol.
Dirty ice it so the rolled icing sticks to it and doesnt leave any bumps. Im sure the other girls have far better advice for ya..

Does anyone know where is selling the 1M nozzle cheapest at the mo? I'm sure I read it on here not long ago and I've searched but can't find it in the results :wacko: I've just come to ice my friends birthday present cupcakes and my 1M isn't where I left it!! I've searched all over. I'm well and truely gutted cos theres no way I can get another one to do these so I;m just gonna have to make do but I've got my friends sons cake and cupcakes to do next week and I'll need it for that so I'm gonna have to order another one quick! Help me ladies please!! xxxx

mummytobe- I'm a complete novice like you, have you tried watching any video tutorials online? Google 'how to decorate with fondant icing' and you should be able to find some websites withs videos. I didnt think to try YouTube but there must be some on there.

I have a question for the cake baking pros.

I want to bake and decorate a cake for my daughters 1st bday. Once the cake is baked, how long do I have to ice it? How long will it stay fresh in a cake tin?

Also, how long roughy would it take a novice to make a two cakes, stack them with dowels, and decorate using rolled fondant?

Mummy to be - best way to ice the cake is to cover it in a thin layer of buttercream (YouTube - crumb coating) then pop it in the fridge for 30-60 mins. This makes it much smoother and firmer to put your icing on.

5 mins before you are ready to get the cake out, roll the icing. Get enough out of the pack and knead it slightly to make it more malleable. Dust your surface with icing sugar and roll the icing out to the size you want it. 1/4 inch thick, thicker icing is easier to work with. Keep the icing moving or it'll stick. When it's ready, get the cake out and lift the icing up using the rolling pin and plonk it over the cake. To smooth the sides, you kind of pull it up slightly and smooth it onto the cake with your hands.

I find it really hard to explain! My best tip is to watch loads of clips on YouTube - you'll learn loads! :flower:

Laura - did you get some pics?

Held - no idea I'm afraid. You can always call the craft company (craftcompany.co.uk) as they sell it singularly for a couple of quid, but it's not listed on the website.

Redrose - I think it's best to ice it ASAP because the icing helps keep it fresh. Bur I'd say a max of 1 day before. I'm sure I read somewhere on here that you can geese the cake though :shrug: maybe bake a small one and see what happens if you freeze it?

Sorry forgot until now.. The first one is the rose swirl the second is normal but with edible lego.

Attachments

• 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 3
Thanks. I never thought of Youtube :) Although quick question, My cakes normally 'peak' in the middle. Is that meant to happen ? or do i cut off ? If so how ? eek. All the cakes/cupcakes on here look sooo professional !!

Usually if they peak it means the oven is too hot/cooking to fast. Try turning the temp down 10degrees and cooking for slightly longer.

If it still happens - chop the top off so it's level. I tend to chop the tops as best I can (not very good... I'm cack-handed!) and then put them together with one cake upside down - because the bottom is usually really flat and you can fiddle with the filling to even up any problems if the two chopped ends are facing together. If that makes any sense at all!

Laura - they look fab! Loving the colours!

Thought I'd share a tip I read the other day...

Step 1. Take a piece of clingfilm about 8"-10" long. With a spatula, take a bit of frosting and place it in the center 1" away from the edge.
Step 2. Take one side of the clingfilm and fold it over to the next side matching up the edge - your frosting will now be enclosed inside the clingfilm
Step 3. Roll the plastic from where the buttercream is to the edges
Step 4: Twist the free end of the wrap

You can now insert the plastic "tube" of icing into the decorating bag.

So basically you end up with a roll of buttercream (think - condom full of buttercream :haha: with one end twisted and one end open (about an inch between BC and edge) that you pop in your icing bag. Makes cleaning up easy and also helpful for icing with two colours - just pop two bags in the icing bag next to each other. Also helpful if you want to change colours quickly and don't have lots of bags and nozzles.

Usually if they peak it means the oven is too hot/cooking to fast. Try turning the temp down 10degrees and cooking for slightly longer.

If it still happens - chop the top off so it's level. I tend to chop the tops as best I can (not very good... I'm cack-handed!) and then put them together with one cake upside down - because the bottom is usually really flat and you can fiddle with the filling to even up any problems if the two chopped ends are facing together. If that makes any sense at all!

Cool. i will give a try after the weekend :thumbup: Thanks

Thanks. Im gonna keep practising. I also have been trying roses with the flower tip but need more practice. Found lots of good ones on Youtube!

Hi ladies :hi:

Here's my first attempt at a cake, going to hopefully make a lovely one for my girl's first birthday.

https://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b148/songbird1986/photo-2-1.jpg

I know it's really rookie and with so many mistakes and I used a victoria sponge from M&S :haha:

I really enjoyed making it though and I'm chuffed that it turned out better than I'd thought it would. I also learned lots of things I would do differently next time and am much more familiar with the materials.

I am shockingly bad at slicing the cake to make it even! And then the buttercream coating was really dodgy so I'm off to have a look on youtube for crumb coating techniques.

I'm also going to get a flower stencil or cutter.

Here is the cake I am hoping to copy....

https://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b148/songbird1986/normal_1279539625.jpg

Man I have a lot of work to do before May!!

That's fab RedRose! Is that your first model too?! I want to do a Waybuloo cake for LOs birthday, but the thought of making those figures fills me with dread!

That's fab RedRose! Is that your first model too?! I want to do a Waybuloo cake for LOs birthday, but the thought of making those figures fills me with dread!

Thanks love!

Yeah it's my first model but I did have a play around with the icing last night when I was colouring it, to get a feel for it.

I added in some gum trag to the fondant icing so it dries harder. And I used little bits of uncooked spaghetti to stick the limbs together. Also, I used a wet pastry brush to dampen the decorations before I stuck them to the cake.

And loads of tutorial videos online :thumbup:

It was really fun, can't wait to have another go. You definitely should try it.

ETA- Cocoa, I was just thinking RE waybaloo, it would be quite hard cos their heads are so big compared to their bodies, they might not stand up. You could maybe do them lying down in yogo poses? I think that would be easier too as their weight would be mostly on the cake instead of upright.

ETA- Cocoa, I was just thinking RE waybaloo, it would be quite hard cos their heads are so big compared to their bodies, they might not stand up. You could maybe do them lying down in yogo poses? I think that would be easier too as their weight would be mostly on the cake instead of upright.

good point! I've seen some examples on the web and these are the best figures I've seen. No idea how easy they'd be, lots of spaghetti/cocktail sticks I guess!

https://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac169/CocoaOne/45d85e61.jpg

Hi! :hi:

Redrose- that cake is lovely! Did you make the rabbit youself?

Ella's party was yesterday.

So stoked at how the cake turned out. It was a chocolate cake covered in buttercream then fondant, with a ribbon round the bottom and marshmellows and pebbles around the bottom :)

https://i52.tinypic.com/2a5lnkk.jpg

The cupcakes are my 1st attempt at banana cake. This picture is minus 2- i forgot to take a photo 1st oops.

https://i54.tinypic.com/29e2gat.jpg

The mini uniced ones are for little fingers :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->