Cake Making & Baking Group

Well MIL's birthday is on Saturday and we're all going for a meal on Friday so I have decided to suprise MIL and make her a cake :wacko: I must be mad! I have decided to make a cake like this

https://www.annsbakery.ie/product_images/small/Flower_Cake.jpg

Mine will be white like this but with pink and lilac flowers and flowers on a wire in the middle of the cake

Its going to be an 8 inch cake can anyone tell me what ingredients I will need for tha? xx

That cake is so pretty!

What cake will it be? Chocolate? Jam and cream? Fruit?

I have bought some decorations online before from https://www.cakescookiesandcraftsshop.co.uk/ and there is another similar site but can't think what it's called right now.

When I've been shopping on Monday I am going to get plenty of baking stuff :thumbup: :)

Does anyone know any good places to get cheap cake tins? I am looking for 6inch and 9inch tins. Also I want to know if anyone knows of any good cake shops in the County Durham Area xx

you should of said when u were at mine, i think i have every size tin going in circles squares , hexagon, octagon, a few heart ones, hudreads of character and shape ones.

Awww never!! I never even thought!! I'm going to have a look in tesco and Morrisons on Wednesday if I can't get one would it be ok to come get one from you on Thursday? Xx

yeah no probs, i go to baby group on the morning but will be in in the afternoon x

I used to love making cakes, then I realised my OH's mum has a hobby of making them and mine was....well rubbish compared to hers!
couldn't get back into when we moved into our own place, but im going to try when I move again and have a bigger kitchen :) theres nothing like the smell of cakes baking in the oven :D
My OH's mums website if anyone wants idea's for designs www.IcedMemories.co.uk there just some of what she has done.

Also does anyone know a good website where we could get a cupcake stand from that will be able to sit a cake on the top tier.

Wow she has a real talent there.Lovely cakes!
The Adult ones gave me a giggle!

Wow she has a real talent there.Lovely cakes!
The Adult ones gave me a giggle!

One of those adult ones is only a taster of what i'l be reciving on my 21st off her. Im dreading to think how she's planning on doing it lol

That type is waterproof so you could run a thin line of icing right along it to attach it, if it is fabric ribbon, you pipe a little bit of icing under one end and run it round the cake then a bit of icing to join it together :)

I have had another 2 cake orders, its getting crazy, I had to go and buy a diary today so I dont lose track!

I am worried I will get bored like a usually do!

This weekend I am making a Sky TV remote for BIL 's birthday, that needs to be centred around the fact that he only ever watches Sky Sports!

So any ideas would be lovely!!

If MILs cake turns out well I think I will go ahead and makecakes for people :) does anyone have a recipe for an 8 inch vanilla sponge cake :thumbup: xx

:)
I use the same recipe all the time and just adjust flavours etc!

6 eggs, weigh them in thier shells
then the weight of the eggs weigh out equal measures of

S/R flour (sieved 3 times)
Soft Marg
Caster Sugar

Whisk together the marg and sugar til the mixture has increased in quantity and is pale and fluffy, the add an egg at a time continuously whisking, add a little flour with each egg, once all the eggs have been added add the rest of the flour and whisk till the mixture is smooth and creamy looking.
Add, 1 or 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract and whisk in.

I bake at 170 degrees for about 40 mins, but I have a fan assisted oven so you might need to adjust it :)

hello!!

I have cracked cupcakes! (pics on my facebook) im so made up! I love them!

I am going to attempt a double tier for my mums birthday, im going to do a trial run on a singe tier first! But i have some questions;

1. What cake sizes should i do?
2. Where can i get 2 cake tins? (everywhere i have been they have only had 9 and 10")
3. Where do you all buy your coloured roll out icing?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Im going to go try and find a pic of the cake!

xxxx

ETA: Like this, but not as good and without the people etc...(going for the stripes and polka...Im going to need heeeelp!
xx

Attachments

• p1010467.jpg
    p1010467.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 8

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member