Cake Making & Baking Group

Probably a stupid question but do you need to buy coloured roll out icing or can you colour it? And is royal icing just roll out icing? Xx

Probably a stupid question but do you need to buy coloured roll out icing or can you colour it? And is royal icing just roll out icing? Xx

You can colour it with food colouring, it is called fondant.
Royal icing is soft then dries hard, like th eone you make peaks with on xmas cakes?

You can colour it yourself and yes royal icing is the same as rolled icing :thumbup:

Royal icing is soft then dries hard, like th eone you make peaks with on xmas cakes?

So if i wanted to make 3 giant poker chips i could just add say red food colouring to the icing the roll it out?

Xx

Im not sure if you can use food colouring or if it has to be the proper icing colouring :wacko: x

So if i wanted to make 3 giant poker chips i could just add say red food colouring to the icing the roll it out?

Xx

Yeah, you can use bog standard food colouring that you get from asda but it isnt as good as the professional stuff, it comes in liquids or pastes.

You add it to the white a tiny bit at a time, best to dip a skewer into the colour then push it into the fondant.
Then knead the icing till it is completely blended.

Good luck!

I have 2 bowl shaped cakes sat waiting to be crumb coated tonight. I'm beginning the practice run of my fairy toadstool.

I've decided to sit it on top of a 9 inch (2 sandwiched) round cake as I don't think my 2 bowls will feed enough people. I'm going to trim it with some nice pink ribbon, and I've bought a matching thinner ribbon to trim my board. Then I'm going to put flowers and trailing stems around it! Hopefully I'll get to finish this practise as I didn't get time and had to eat it last time!

Caitinsmummy, good luck with the Toy Story cake! Can't believe your friend sprang that on you at such short notice! I think I may have told her that if she couldn't find the toppers then she could buy a cake from the super market! You're a good friend!

Ohh no don't get me wrong! I offered to do it for her. But I mentioned it to her partner on Monday but haven't been able to get in touch with her till today!

She said he like Toy Story so I was just trying to find something to go with it. Luckily I have found something!

yes royal icing is the same as rolled icing :thumbup:
no hun....roll out icing is called fondant, or sugarpaste...like this:
https://www.cakeandcandy.com/rollingpin.jpg
there is also a different kind of fondant, which is runny, to cover cakes like this:
https://www.britishsugar.co.uk/IsolatedStorage/94175874-67b5-4c33-9f38-380233f14049/ContentAssets/Images/Our%20Products/Speciality%20sugars/Celeb%20broch%202006/FRENCH%20FANCIES%20web.JPG
royal icing dries hard and its mostly used for piping borders, stars, writing and like andrea said....covering xmas cakes etc....
https://www.itv.com/img/310x233/Royal-icing-7547a6ab-7c61-4c36-a0d5-964704e17a52.jpg
:thumbup:

Im not sure if you can use food colouring or if it has to be the proper icing colouring :wacko: x
id always use pastes for colouring, the shop bought liquid can make your icing sticky if not done right....my friend dyed her kitchen top blue after trying to colour it with liquid :dohh:

i have cakes in the oven, wish me luck lol :happydance:

good luck!!

Luckily I have found something!

hi hun, just check at argos....it says 'set of 2' 'lots to collect' i think its 5.99 for 2 random figures, not all thats pictured :thumbup:
they do that with some items xxx

thanks girlies!!! Where can i buy either colour pastes or coloured roll out icing? Xx

aw its pants you cant get to a disney store, the sets in there have all the little figures in it!

I can't even get on the website to have a look on there coz it's not working :-( xx

I've got on!! :happydance: And I've got 2 playscene sets for £15 rather than £10 for one!

https://www.disneystore.co.uk/toys-toy-story-1-playscene-set/p/17005/305200/

Just a quick question how do you manage to roll out your icing so that it goes round like in that pic? Mine always seems to go oblong :rofl: Suppose the surface I use isnt very big either. Do you think I could use the dining room table :rofl: :haha: X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->