Cake Making & Baking Group

Just a quick question how do you manage to roll out your icing so that it goes round like in that pic? Mine always seems to go oblong :rofl: Suppose the surface I use isnt very big either. Do you think I could use the dining room table :rofl: :haha: X

Think of it like a clock roll 6-12 then 3-9 then 1-7 then 11-5 if that makes sence lol xx

Ladies I reaaaaallly need your help!
I don't know what I've let myself in for :dohh:
MIL hinted at me that it's BIL's 18th birthday on 6th March, but she doesn't have time to decorate a cake etc, so me being the numpty that I am, agreed to do it.
Now, one of her colleagues is actually making the sponge, I think it's like a fruit cake, in a round 8in cake tin and she's icing it in just plain white icing.
She wants me to do a rugby theme... She's given me some icing moulds in the shape of a welsh dragon and rugby balls, and a box of royal icing and left me to it.
I'm really stuck for ideas :( Has anyone done a rugby themed cake or seen any good ones about where I can get inspiration?
Also, how would I go about getting a grass effect with icing?
I really appreciate any answers :hugs:

Where can i get coloured roll out icing from? Do asda and tesco do it? and also whats the best website to get baking accesories from? xx

hiya ladies...i know this bit is for cakes but i was wondering if any of you knew a decent cookie/biscuit recipe.
I want to practise using my shiny new piping set :D
but baking a cake everytime i want to practise guarantees the family getting sick of cake and plently going to waste, considering half the house like sponge n not cho, and the other half like choc and not sponge :dohh:
So im thinking a load of biscuits might be a good idea to practise using the bag?
Or anyone got ne other ideas for some practise runs...?
Also if i make (try and make lol) flowers out out of normal fondant not the profesional stuff will it still keep? And how long 4?
Thanx :flower: xxxxx

oh just found this! very helpful! For anyone else whos curious xx

https://www.ehow.com/how_2058713_color-fondant.html

Candeur it depends how artistic you'd like to be. It's a shame it's not a rugby ball shaped cake but this like shows a rugby scrum on top of a round cake. It could be simplified really easily and you could make the shirts the same as the Welsh teams.

Also for grass you could either just cover a cake board with green fondant, pipe small green stars, or colour some desecated cocconut green and sprinkle it over the board.

https://images.google.co.uk/imgres?...org.mozilla:en-GB:official&ndsp=21&tbs=isch:1

Candeur it depends how artistic you'd like to be. It's a shame it's not a rugby ball shaped cake but this like shows a rugby scrum on top of a round cake. It could be simplified really easily and you could make the shirts the same as the Welsh teams.

Also for grass you could either just cover a cake board with green fondant, pipe small green stars, or colour some desecated cocconut green and sprinkle it over the board.

https://images.google.co.uk/imgres?...org.mozilla:en-GB:official&ndsp=21&tbs=isch:1

Thanks for that... I think I would've been fine if I could make the cake from scratch as I would've either got a rugby ball shaped tin or a rectangle to do a pitch. I don't have a choice either because the cake being made is BIL's favorite cake :dohh:

I like the idea of doing a scrum... What kind of icing would I have to used to make that?
Also, not sure if this is a stupid question, but say if I were to use butter icing to do the grass and pipe it, would it go on top of the plain white icing that's already been put on the cake? x

I would probably use fondant icing to make the scrum as it doesn't need to be too ridgid (no height to it, and the forms are quite chunky). You could either buy some white ready roll and a couple of colours, to make the colours you'd like. Or you could buy some small blocks of pre coloured ready roll.

I have never piped over fondant but I think it would be fine. One of the other ladies might be better to answer this question but I think it would be fine and you wouldn't need to use royal icing.

Ugh I've just finished my trial run and I made a right fluffing mess of it! Oh well I'll learn from my mistakes.

At the moment it bears and uncanny resembalance to a tiny little willy, not really appropriate for a 1st birthday cake for my DD!:dohh: Hopefully I'll be able to post a pic tomorrow evening so you can all have a good giggle!

hi girls...a quick call in as ive got 2 cakes on the go...and one has turned into a disaster LOL

just here to say i received my new nozzle yesterday...and OMFG its HUGE!!!!
just take a look here....a standard size nozzle, and the one i got through the post!! LOL

also i was bored the other night....i NEVER usually draw my designs on paper...i usually keep them in my head but OH was on the xbox and i wanted to see how it would look.
please bear in mind this was a very QUICK ROUGH drawing..(and i know it looks like its been coloured by the birthday boy :rofl:)!!!
but its been inspired by these two pics..and combined with a cake ive always wanted to do..a candyland theme with lolly pops etc
what u think?
trouble is when making it....it will probably look nothing like it and i will change the design halfway through like i usually do LOL
https://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g215/trazharvey/IMG_7007.jpg
https://acerve.files.wordpress.com/2006/09/charlie_and_the_chocolate_factory_06.jpg
https://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/Charlie-the-Chocolate-Factory-tim-burton-169394_800_600.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7010.jpg
    IMG_7010.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 5
You HAVE to do that cake!! It will lokk so cool!!!

Yeah the nozzles are massive arent they!! Make good swirls!

Tracey.......... :D You know how I am doing a huge cupcake for a little girl next week....

How would you do the top? I was thinking just making buttercream and usung my HUGE nozzle and piping round it, but do you think it would be better to fondant it first then do that or just use buttercream.....

I'm stressing about this cake already!

I've told OH that I am making us a NBC cake for our Birthdays in August, mine is the 5th and his is the 6th! and I just want a good excuse to make it!

that cake will be fab when its made!!!

that tip looks like my 1M wilton one i got its huge, not tried it yet but cant wait too !!

im gonna make just a little 6 inch cake today for my cousins birthday x

thanks girls....my ideas seem to look alright on paper and in my head...but making it is a whole different thing!! it will probably turn out crap!! LOL

im just trying to figure out how to do the chocolate splashes/foam at the bottom of the chocolate waterfalls, and im also contemplating whether to just melt chocolate n let it run down the side to form a waterfall n slowly paint more on to build it up, or to use piping gel to make it look like actual liquid? whichever way i do it, it will have to be quick coz im mega busy and dont really have time to do it! LOL

the tip is huge isnt it!! i was well surprised when it turned up!! LOL

andrea, are u doing cake for the top part? the easiest n quickest way would be to pipe with that large tip we have! LOL id do it directly onto to sponge as fondant AND then buttercream might be too sickly!! plus buttercream is GREAT for coverage coz u can spread it anywhere....and it it doesnt look right u can just scrape it off n pipe it back on again! LOL

im having a total nightmare with this stadium at the mo....im gutted!!! a jam jar fell out my cupboard n landing directly onto the cake n totally ruined one side!! and i have absolutely no chance of starting it again...its too big, so im doing my best to patch n hide it, i thought that its better to have a birthday cake with hidden imperfections than leave a poor bloke with no cake at all on his birthday!! i hope i can pull it off LOL

That wonka theme will be soooo cute when its done, I can tell. Your cakes are always amazing anyway! Shame about the jam jar incident :shock: I would have cried.

Anyway, need some inspo from you girls. I've been asked to do a cake for a 3rd bday on Saturday. Its my best friends neice and i've said i'll help her make her dads 50th cake at the start of April so we're gonna do a practise run on another cake first LOL cos shes never done a cake before but wants to help. It'll prob end up me doing it all but oh well.
Anyway, she's going to be 3 and she wants a pink and glittery cake :shrug: Want to keep it kinda simple and its gonna be a tall 8" round i think.

I really like the cascading blossom ones but found this and think its a bit more age appropriate
https://www.cakeandco.co.uk/images/DSC00622A.JPG I'd prob use a brighter pink and baby pink alongside the white, put loads of glitter on the edges of the flowers and butterflys and write her name ontop or something. Dunno :( HELP.

Pink and Glitter cakes are the best! That one is really cute!

The best edible pink glitter i've found is this make https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pink-Hologra...Crafts_Cake_Decorating_MJ?hash=item3caa6e57d4

They do lots of different colours and shades.

do you know whats bizzare about "edible" glitter........ you arent really supposed to eat it!!
It is non toxic so wont do you any harm!

I like that pink cake, I'll have a look through my ideas folder later for you!

Tracey, shite about the jam jar! I had the same thing happen with the wizard of oz cake but it was a HUGE jar of Nutella!! :blush:

I am sure you will have it looking fab!

How do you do those flowers? or are they already done....hmmm, i wonder :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back