Cake Making & Baking Group

oooh bet ur excited!! mines really old,could do with a new one but dont think ill be getting one anytime soon!

I am! not excited that I had to use some of the money I was gonna buy my new sofas with though :(

Livingroom will have to wait!! :D

Cheaper than a wilton as well.I bought a wilton soccer ball tin and going to have some fun with that but the kids loved Andreas cupcake.How did you make it hun x

to make the cupcake I used 3x 8" sandwich tins, cut them so they were really flat before sandwiching them together :)

oooh bet ur excited!! mines really old,could do with a new one but dont think ill be getting one anytime soon!

I am! not excited that I had to use some of the money I was gonna buy my new sofas with though :(

we ordered a new sofa a few weeks ago were waiting for it to be delivered , that was before we ound out rob could be getting made redundant though:dohh:

Sandwiched them altogether, Then the top bit I made with a medium pyrex bowl, when I was carving it I placed the bowl cake on top so I had the right idea on how much to cut it back and just gradually cut away till it looked right!!

It does need a support card and dowels as the top cake was quite heavy

we ordered a new sofa a few weeks ago were waiting for it to be delivered , that was before we ound out rob could be getting made redundant though:dohh:

Aw hunny, keeping my fingers crossed that he doesnt :hugs:

Aww fab thanks hun xxxx

My OH was laid off 5 months ago and is still out of work.So I have more time to play with cakes x

This recession is just crap :(

Mine works for the prison service and they are striking next week so they cant just pay them off when they feel like it, dunno if it will make any difference but if the government get their way , Neil will probably be paid off early next year too :(

wow well done Jac! It looks fab, if you were just having it like that (a victoria sponge) it would be fine to have that much buttercream! I tend to use a little less than that when I am covering them in fondant :)

It looks amazing for your first go!

Leanne have you tried ebay? I have a few sets with stars al different sizes and I'm sure that where I got them!

Hmmm Andrea, I followed your directions for the buttercream, but my box was 500g not 600g so there should have been more haha!

I'm thinking when I come to ice it how big a layer do I need of buttercream, also do I slice off the top layer so its completely flat? And the crusty sides? as birthday cakes dont seem to have the crusty sides/top when all iced nicely do they?

Sorry, hope you dont mind all these questions:blush: I am a total beginner:wacko:
It tasted lush though, I gotta say I'm dead proud of myself! next step...do another and ice it!:happydance:

its quite a thin layer of buttercream you use, its just to even it all out really.

I usually do 2 really thin layers, after the 1st stick it in the fridge then once its set, add the next.

I do slice off the peak bits, I make sure the top of the cake is the bottom iykwim?! it is always the flattest.

If the sides are even I usually just leave them! the buttercream will soften them once it has been iced :thumbup:

mmm lovely looking cake jac :)

ok i think im punching above my weight here - LOL
but im gona make a World of Warcraft cake for my OHs birthday...and im basing it around these 2 images:
https://images.mmosite.com/photo/2007/07/04/4ss481h8tM846384.jpg
https://www.warcraftmall.com/Images/actionfigures/WorldofWarcraftSeries3DraeneiMageTamuuraActionFigure.png
The figure is gonna go on the cake board by the cake, im planning on making sugar glass shards out of melted transparent purple and blue boiled sweets (if i can find some -fX:wacko:) & edible purple glitter and sticking them all over for the crystals.
And iv just spent 2 hours tracing out the bottom part of that arch in the back so im gonna try n make that and have that as the centrepiece on the cake and im gonna use some of the sugarglass for the doorway.
Im gonna do the base as white chocolate fondant (found a recipe for it in my decorating book..if i cant do that ill just use normal fondant) coloured purple but with a marbel effect and clear glaze icing over the top of that to make in shiny...
so lol...think i might be punching above my weight a little?
:haha:
Im determined to at least give it a good go...if its a mess then its a mess but itll be a mess made with love :D
Just wanted to run my idea past u ladies - seeing as how you are the experts :D
..does nething i say not mak ne sense or not sound plausable? Or does anyone have ne ideas on other bits and pieces?

Btw the cake itself is gonna be a chocolate one, hence wanting to use the white choc fondant :) xxx

Wow! Good luck! Your one brave lady LOL, can't wait to see it finished!! :D xx

wow i bet it looks totally fab when its done....although even i wouldnt want to attempt that LOL
good luck hun cant wait to see it.

jacx....if u do the cake again...use two seperate tins instead of putting it all in one, youll find they will cook quicker and more evenly and you shouldnt have crusty sides that way.
also you only need a thin layer of buttercream, if u put too much in, the weight of the fondant will make the sides bulge x

thanks for the tips girls, greatly appreciated:hugs:

I think I will do my next in 2 seperates and see how that turns out. The big tin is great for just family plain cakes though, I loved how deep it was and it was bloody scrummy! :cloud9:

What is the other thing that some cake bakers use in the middle instead of buttercream? Is this fondant?

Oh and could someone point me in the direction of a good chocolate cake recipe with chocolate buttercream? The kids really want me to do one of those:dohh:

I always do mine in smaller quantities cos it makes the cakes fluffier!
so I use 2 tins and half the mixture :)

Dunno what else it is they use inside though, I've only ever used buttercream! You can make up cheese fillings, like with marscapone etc but I'm not too keen on sweet cheese!
Fondant is the roll out icing you will be using on top of your cake .

To make a choccy cake, just use the same recipe I gave you, but take out 3 tablespoons of flour and add 3 tablespoons of cocoa powder :thumbup:

For the filling you can either add cocoa powder to your buttercream or you can buy Betty Crocker chocolate fudge.... thats what I use cos it tastes amazing!!!!

Ohhh is that all you do?

ok, kids are getting a chocolate cake this weekend! I'm going to be mummy of the moment in this house!:haha:

I'm going to go looking for a celebration book later on, is there any you girls can recommened?

Am I going to need a piping bag and nozzles at some point too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->