Calling all those with heavy jobs

Jadie

Reaction score
All those that are on their feet most of the day and heavy work etc... When do you plan to go on maternity leave? Do you have a choice?

Anyone with previous pregnancies when did you leave?

I'm a nurse on a busy medical ward and I'm knackered already! 30 weeks tomorrow... My belly, feet and back ache after every shift. I work 9 shifts a fortnight and plan to up until 36 weeks as I'm not entitled to any paid maternity leave. When bubs is born we can claim the baby bonus but from 36 weeks ill have to take my only holidays I have which will cover two weeks, ill take that evenly over 4 weeks tho to take me until bubs is due. I'm just panicking about how we will cope with such a drop in income :( why is life so hard

I work 10 hour shifts and I work a receiving job (on my feet the whole time constantly moving and lifting.) I worked up until 38 weeks. I was horribly tired each night but I was able to make it until then.

I'm a nurse too. I was working two long shifts a week at 12 hours each. Planned to go as long as possible to 36/37 weeks but I stopped at 32 weeks as just couldn't handle it anymore. The back and bump ache. Plus was getting constant braxton hicks. How come you don't get mat leave?

All those that are on their feet most of the day and heavy work etc... When do you plan to go on maternity leave? Do you have a choice?

Anyone with previous pregnancies when did you leave?

I'm a nurse on a busy medical ward and I'm knackered already! 30 weeks tomorrow... My belly, feet and back ache after every shift. I work 9 shifts a fortnight and plan to up until 36 weeks as I'm not entitled to any paid maternity leave. When bubs is born we can claim the baby bonus but from 36 weeks ill have to take my only holidays I have which will cover two weeks, ill take that evenly over 4 weeks tho to take me until bubs is due. I'm just panicking about how we will cope with such a drop in income :( why is life so hard

Im a nurse also and before I went on mat leave I was doing 13.5hr shifts...its knackered!! How can you not be entitled to any paid mat leave huni? you can get stat mat pay huni xxx
I went on mat leave at 36 weeks but wish Id finished earlier...I was exhausted xxx (still am lol!! :haha:) xxx

Apparently as I've not been with the company for a year I'm not entitled to paid mat leave :( I'm working for a private hospital not government. If that makes any difference.

Apparently as I've not been with the company for a year I'm not entitled to paid mat leave :( I'm working for a private hospital not government. If that makes any difference.

ooh i see...youre not in the uk thats where us uk ladies are getting confused huni, does your goverment have any relief for pregnant ladies? xxx

Yes, the baby bonus is $5000 ish, initial payment of $800 then the rest paid over 13fortnights so that'll be helpful. It's just not as much as my wages, which I can't expect but I wonder how long I will be able to have off before returning to work. I wish I could have a few months at least but more like few weeks.

Yes, the baby bonus is $5000 ish, initial payment of $800 then the rest paid over 13fortnights so that'll be helpful. It's just not as much as my wages, which I can't expect but I wonder how long I will be able to have off before returning to work. I wish I could have a few months at least but more like few weeks.

Have a good research on the internet huni to see if there is anything else you can apply for huni xx

There's a few options but this is the only one that suits us. I'm going to go to centre link to talk to someone about if there's anything. We'll see what happens. Thanks ladies

I'm a nurse to and currently taking my holiday entitlement before starting maternity leave, started holiday at 31 weeks. Starting to feel like i left very early but I was really struggling with long days and worked in a&e so very busy. The NHS gets alot of criticism but we do seem to get a really good maternity leave/pay compared to most.

I'm a nurse also - 12.5 hour shifts. Work in a surgical emergency admissions ward and it pretty manic, plus I had a disc prolapse a few years ago which pregnancy has made sore again, so I'm planning on finishing up at 33 weeks.. Counting the days now I feel exhausted already. Xxx

Wow you all do loooong shifts, my shifts are only 7.5 hours and I do 9 a fortnight! Do you guys get more days off cos you work longer?

I'm a nurse too. I was working two long shifts a week at 12 hours each. Planned to go as long as possible to 36/37 weeks but I stopped at 32 weeks as just couldn't handle it anymore. The back and bump ache. Plus was getting constant braxton hicks. How come you don't get mat leave?

Some companies offer Mat Leave after probationary period, or after a certain amount of time on the job. Different companies offer different perks, But the only Federal requirement for leave in the U.S. is that your boss allow you to take up to 6 weeks unpaid without replacing you. It's rather barbaric.

Some companies offer Mat Leave after probationary period, or after a certain amount of time on the job. Different companies offer different perks, But the only Federal requirement for leave in the U.S. is that your boss allow you to take up to 6 weeks unpaid without replacing you. It's rather barbaric.

FMLA allows 12 weeks if you've been at the job for a year and they have over a certain number of employees. Still unpaid, still total BS in my oh-so-humble opinion.

You should still get 6 weeks of 55% disability pay... The year limit is only for 12 weeks of job protection (FMLA), not pay.

You should still get 6 weeks of 55% disability pay... The year limit is only for 12 weeks of job protection (FMLA), not pay.

Only if you have disability benefits. Which I, for one, don't where I work. It's unpaid or it's nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->