• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

came across this

halas

Reaction score
it was on the news got curious looked it up what do you guys think of this

https://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2010/apr/21/leaving-baby-to-cry-brain-development-damage

Interesting.. and very difficult if it is true. I mean personally I can't leave Robyn to cry very long, I never have. And generally as soon as she's got to me, and I've got her in my arms, she stops crying. But sometimes babies just cry, and it's near impossible to tell parents that they can't leave their baby crying if they need to step away from the situation. Especially in colicy babies were there isn't anything you can do to help stop the crying etc.

xoxox

I think the key thing we need to take from this article is that it is talking about babies who are truly distressed being left to cry. If you happen to have a baby who naturally likes a bit of a wail before they drop off to sleep then that is a million miles away from a baby who is crying out for a need.

When Grace was a baby, she was a nightmare to get to sleep, until one day I just gave up, I did the controlled crying without realising it, I went and sat on the stairs thinking oh my goodness what should I do, next thing I knew she had stopped crying, I went in and she was fast asleep!!
The next night, exactly the same....lots of crying, tried shush patting her to sleep, eventually I just had to leave the room...5 minutes later she stopped and went to sleep!

Seemed she just needed that crying down period, she did that for a week or so then after that she slept right through!!

Theo is kind of the same, however he does get distressed sometime & I go in and pick him up then lie him back down when he has calmed down...he is actually really good at going to sleep on his own now, sometimes he needs a little cry but its only normally till he finds his dummy to put back in again.

I think that article is abit over rated, like a PP said...you don't leave baby to get completely distressed, I never did/do anyway! :)

i think also we need to note every baby is different i have never let gabrielle cry it out but when left on her own in her cot she becomes hysterical so i know it wouldnt work for us and i would find it distressing for me to i cant stand to let her just cry, but i'm sure for alot of mums it is the best way for them and their baby. one thing i dislike tho is where you get people that belive that one thing works for all bc it just dosnt work like that .

my mum did this when i was wee and i know suffer from really bad anxiety.

Often in the evening Laila will have a crying period, I know she's fed, changed and its just something she does for 5mins cause shes very tired then drops off so I do leave her then but I'd never leave her distressed but sometimes babies just need to be left to have that crying period I think.

maisie gets really bad some nights when shes over tired and screams the house dwn and theres nothing u can do until she falls asleep sometimes has lasted up to an hour! but i dnt leave her i cuddle her and rock her to try and get her off. but what if your baby has colic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->