Can any landlords/people in the know advise please?

jenkins

Reaction score
Hi :)

We began renting a house on 4/5/2011 and gave a notice on 28/6/13 that we would be leaving on 31/7/2013. This is what it says in the tenancy agreement,

The tenant may end this agreement by giving the landlord/agent at least one month notice in writing that he will give up possession of the property on the date specified in the notice.
The notice must expire at the end of a rental period. The notice may be given at any time but cannot expire before the end of the expiry of this agreement (was an initial 6 month lease).
If you give up possession on a date earlier than the date specified in the notice, the tenancy will end on the date specified in the notice.

My question is, can they make me pay up until the 4th August as the original lease was set up on the 4th of the month? Or should I just be paying up to the date I have given them in the notice? (I paid a month in advance which is usual but it seems I will be paying for some time we're no longer tenants?)

This is what the estate agents are saying so I just want to make sure they're right?

Any help much appreciated :)

X

I thought that you only payed up until the date you end your contract. I'm no expert tho.

On what date did you have to pay your rent? Thats the date you have to pay up until.

I believe the months notice should be in terms of the rent paid, thus giving notice before 4/7/13 entitled you to leave up until 4/8/13, paid up until that time, whether you are thre that long is up to you. Last year I needed to leave our house 4 days after our rent was due but to make life easier for everyone I paid for a week afterwards to make the sums easier and it gave me time to clean up. So yeah I would say you need to pay up until the 4/8.

Thanks all,

I requested at the start of the tenancy that I paid on the 20th of each month so when we moved in on 4th may 2011 they worked it out that I paid a one off payment of £353 which would pay up to the 20th of may 2011, then I've paid on the 20th of each month since then. The rent is £650 a month.

So currently my last payment was on 20th of June - which makes me paid up until 20th of July so I will still owe some money to take us to the end of the notice. I'm waiting for them to get back to me on the actual amount I owe but they are saying I must pay up to 4th August when I was hoping I would only have to pay until the day my notice ends iykwim? It's only 4 days but that could mean the difference of £80 - £90 so I don't want to pay more than I have to.

Cx

If they are agreeable they may let you just pay a one off payment for 20-29th, but as the tenancy is until the 4th and as it was you that requested to pay on the 20th not the tenancy agreement that stipulated it they have every right to ask for it up until the 4th. But definitely ask, they can only say no, £90 is a lot when it's technically for something you don't "need". We had a private landlord so was a little bit more flexible, estate agents aren't always so much!

If they are agreeable they may let you just pay a one off payment for 20-29th, but as the tenancy is until the 4th and as it was you that requested to pay on the 20th not the tenancy agreement that stipulated it they have every right to ask for it up until the 4th. But definitely ask, they can only say no, £90 is a lot when it's technically for something you don't "need". We had a private landlord so was a little bit more flexible, estate agents aren't always so much!

Thanks, yeah I think you're right - the agents will probably be stricter to squeeze every drop of rent they can lol. I suppose I'm just glad it's only a few days because if that's the case then I could have ended up having to pay for 3 extra weeks if I'd given a months notice on say the 12th of the month lol

Xx

Not necessarily, ask them for a re-calculation in rent for the date you have said you will leave the property from when your last payment will take you too.

I did this at my last house and there were no problems at all :shrug:

To add.............if they say you MUST pay up to the 4th, then you can legally stay there till the 4th :flower:

It depends on the agent/landlord and what it says in the agreement/company terms etc, however, you are entitled to stay there until 23:59 on the final day which you have paid to and they are not allowed to move someone else in (unless refunding you) if you chose to vacate early (can't 'double rent' basically).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->