Can anyone help me interpret this crochet pattern please?

Buninmyoven

Reaction score
I've only ever made a blanket before so now trying to make a shrug. But I'm struggling with the way that the pattern has been written.

So to start with I have to chain 52 and then from there I get stuck!

E.g.
Row 1; ch3, dc1, * ch2, skip 2dc, dc3* repeat 8 times, ch2, skip 2dc, dc2

I'm stuck on this because I understand that I need to chain 3 on row one but then do I need to turn the work? What does DC1 mean? I it doesn't say in which stitches the new stitches need to be made. E.g. does DC1 have to be made in the first stitch excluding the ch3 I did at the start of row 1?

If anyone could tell me what I need to do in idiot language I would be very grateful. Thanks!

Once you finish your long chain just add 3ch...no need to turn as you are now working back on yourself anyway.

Dc1 means one double crochet. This would be in the first stitch after the ch3 (so most likely in ch51 as the ch3 would usually count as a stitch for ch52....unless it has specifically told you to miss a stitch for any reason).

I know the pattern you are doing just by visualising those stitches and it is very easy and once you have gone past your first row you will get on with it really easily. I have always made this pattern starting from the centre and working my way outwards instead of working in rows...it is much easier as there are fewer errors to be made with your first row and no need for a long chain.

Once you finish your long chain just add 3ch...no need to turn as you are now working back on yourself anyway.

Dc1 means one double crochet. This would be in the first stitch after the ch3 (so most likely in ch51 as the ch3 would usually count as a stitch for ch52....unless it has specifically told you to miss a stitch for any reason).

I know the pattern you are doing just by visualising those stitches and it is very easy and once you have gone past your first row you will get on with it really easily. I have always made this pattern starting from the centre and working my way outwards instead of working in rows...it is much easier as there are fewer errors to be made with your first row and no need for a long chain.

Hi Smileyfaces,
Thanks for your reply. So I do one double crochet in the first stitch after the ch3 (which as you say I think counts as ch52). It then says ch2 which I know means to chain 2. But then it says skip 2DC. I am confused as to what this means because there are no DC in the foundation chain so I don't see how there are any DC to skip. Does DC3 mean to do 3 double crochets in the same stitch?

What do you mean when you say you make it by starting from the centre?

Another thing - Is it written using US crochet stitches or UK?

Sorry if I am making myself sound really stupid. Part of the reason I am confused about this pattern is because it doesn't tell me in which of the foundation chains I need to do each of the stitches of row one.

Its only got a difficulty rating of 2 or 3 on the website I got it from so I must be missing something obvious!

Thanks again :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->