Can anyone tell me which side of the fence the homeowner is responsible for?

GeorgeyGal

Reaction score
I have always thought it to be the right hand side (the right facing out from back door)? Is that right or is it the right facing the back of the house in which case I have it wrong.

I think it depends entirely on your garden and the original agreements in the deeds. My parents are responsible for the fence on all three sides. :shrug:

Meaning like a garden fence and who fixes it/maintains it? I personally have no idea, but my parents next door neighbour replaced all fencing, which meant one side of my parents garden was new and one was tatty :dohh:

But I should imagine it'd be some where about in the deeds

Ours is the left side as you stand with your back to the house, though we just had the whole thing done as we wanted it matching and didn't think it was fair to ask the neighbour. .

We are responsible for all our 3 fences/Walls one side we each have a fence back on back and one wall is our own and our back wall is shared both responsible of something happens to it

I'm not sure about there, but here [as far as I'm aware] you and your neighbour on whatever side needs fixing, have to agree on the fence and split the fee... But I could be wrong.

thereare 2 sides to a fence, a nice side, and a not so nice side, IYKWIM. I think that if it has the best side facing your property, it's yours. If the wrong side is facing, it's your neighbours.

thereare 2 sides to a fence, a nice side, and a not so nice side, IYKWIM. I think that if it has the best side facing your property, it's yours. If the wrong side is facing, it's your neighbours.

Oh, I will tell my dad as he was told its the other way round as they have the rough side facing them, but that means the posts are on THEIR land, so the fence is right on the edge of the neighbours property - but it was put in by the people who built the house so not our problem as we never asked for it!

Its whoever has the bad side facing them (one side is smooth and the other has the wood running across which provides the support...if you can see the side with the support you are responsible for the fence)

Its whoever has the bad side facing them (one side is smooth and the other has the wood running across which provides the support...if you can see the side with the support you are responsible for the fence)

WSS^^. my mum told me this a couple years ago x

So how does that work if they never wanted the fence up and it was put up by a 3rd party during construction of a new house?

Hmm, Maybe will get dad to check as he thinks they are selling the house and he says he is not taking responsibility for the fence as he never asked for it to go up.

Well I believe so long as there's a separating boundary between land it doesn't matter what the boundary is so could be a fence or something like a low wall (you'd need to double check this)

Reason I know for sure about the way the fence faces as to who owns it is our house is newbuild and our fence separates a different newbuild owned by a different company. Bad weather and vandals caused the fence to fall and the company wrote to us and our neighbours telling us to fix it as it was our resp (bad side faced our road) but we ignored it and a few weeks later they ended up replacing it due to the tenants in the other development complaining about the lack of fence...bonus for us! Lol

My parents found a way round this they have their own fence and the neighbors both sides have thier fence put up on the otherside with a inch gap down the middle so the support sides are sanwiched inbetween that way everyone has a nice fence to look at and its each thier own responsability.

Back last year MIL got in an argument with her new neighborsbecause they just moved in and tore the back garden fence down and put it on the bonfire and left it open for ages.
It was her fence and she had only just had it put up new a few months before they moved in and she couldnt even let her dogs out in the garden because they lerft her with no fence for ages.
When they eventualy put up another one they had the nerve to ask her to pay for half of it because they said it would be a fence to her garden as well and tried to move the posts back onto her side by about 10 inches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->