Can babies have gravy?

Kracker

Reaction score
As it says,lol. I make my gravy out of meat juice and bisto. I do not add any salt to my cooking, so I cook extra veggies, my OH said to put some gravy in aswell. Is this ok? Thanksx

Yeah, depends on the age. Id say from about 10 months ok, but before then theres too much salt in gravy, in the bisto already.

NO....there is lots of salt in Bisto also in stock cubes. These shouldn't be given to babies/mixed with their food under 1 year old at all. It isn't necessary, if food needs thinning then add milk or water to thin it a bit but never gravy.

Over the age of 1 they can have a tiny amount of salt which is naturally present in some foods anyway but never add salt to their food (while it's cooking or on their plate) and gravy can be made with veg water and meat juices if necessary for them.

Salt is very bad for babies and children and can cause kidney damage and even death....beware.

Here's a link to guidelines
https://www.salt.gov.uk/babies_and_children.html

Here's a heartbreaking link too I'm afraid to show you just what can happen:cry:
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/404667.stm

I was going to say pretty much the same as Hevz. Bisto is packed with salt, definitely do NOT give it to your LO.

If you want to thicken a gravy then you could add cornflour to the meatjuices and/or add the water from the veggies to make more of it. (thats how i do it)

Just goes to show you shouldn't always believe what you are told. I asked my health visitor and she said that it was ok but to use the reduced salt version that you can buy. Daniel was 10mths at the time. He doesn't tend to have sauces but I do give him stew with lots of veg mixed with gravy. I won't be doing now though.

you can buy special baby gravy in pouches as well as a range of different cooking sauces. or i use baby stock cubes, no salt at all just all natural flavouings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->