Can I claim tax back?

Sambo

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I wondered if anyone can help me?

I have been on maternity leave since the end of June now and only been receiving the basic statutory maternity pay. Before I left I was working full time and earning approx 35k a year and paying what seemed like a fortune in tax. Is there some way I can claim some of the tax back as I'm sure it was based on me working full time for the full financial year.

If so, when do I do it and how?

Thanks so much if anyone can help:flower:

Sam x

Hi hun is the company paying you mat pay? if so I would of thought your tax would have been adjusted when you first got your maternity pay as your tax code should have remained the same.

Yes you can claim it back. You need to do a tax return for the tax year 2010/11. This ends on 6 April so you can do it any time after that and you should get your refund within 3-4 weeks.

You need to request a tax return form from HMRC. Your pay slips should tell you which tax office you are under - look up their phone number on the web.

Doing the tax return on line is easiest as it steps you through all the numbers you need to input. I find the paper ones to be less helpful (unless you want to read the 80 page guide!).

I doubt your employer will have changed your tax code to code this out, so your best bet is to do a tax return.

i would do the tax return, but like above person said you would of just paid less tax from when you started mat leave. but it never hurts to apply

You can't just do a tax return unless you qualify for Self Assessment, your code should have remained the same and your tax would have been worked out over the year as your employer would have had no reason to change your code.
If you think you have paid too much tax you need to send your P60 once you receive it with a covering letter to your tax office, it's a lot easier than doing a tax return too.

You can't just do a tax return unless you qualify for Self Assessment, your code should have remained the same and your tax would have been worked out over the year as your employer would have had no reason to change your code.
If you think you have paid too much tax you need to send your P60 once you receive it with a covering letter to your tax office, it's a lot easier than doing a tax return too.

This is incorrect. Anyone can self-assess and if I were the OP, I would.

if you have overpaid tax it should just be adjusted for you when the year ends (last week) but if you are unsure just callt he tax office and they will help you

This is incorrect. Anyone can self-assess and if I were the OP, I would.

No it is correct I used to work for the tax office and they stopped you from self assessing as it is a waste of time if you don't qualify as OP wouldn't, much quicker just to send P60.

Will post a link to clarify.

https://www.hmrc.gov.uk/sa/deadlines-penalties.htm

Read the attached link re self assessment also if you don't file on time the penalties are now payable even if you don't owe tax.
As you can see OP does not qualify.

I haven't read the link but I know that anyone can self-assess!! By name and nature it is self-assessment. If you assess yourself to be in self-assessment, you can request a tax return. I am a tax adviser for the largest accountancy firm in the world so know what I am talking about :)

I haven't read the link but I know that anyone can self-assess!! By name and nature it is self-assessment. If you assess yourself to be in self-assessment, you can request a tax return. I am a tax adviser for the largest accountancy firm in the world so know what I am talking about :)

I would read the link then as this changed a few years ago they won't send you a tax return unless you qualify, self assessment is not quite as it sounds any more.
People were trying to self assess when it was NOT necessary as with OP, if she rings up they will not giver her an SATR. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->