can you become more organised?

kosh

proud new mum!
Reaction score
I think I am quite good at my job, but I find that I still struggle with organization. I really try, but sometime chaos takes over and I loose track of emails/files.
Do you think that 'being organised' is something that you can become, or is just a personality trait?
Either way, any tips?

I was really disorganized and I have had to learn to be organized. Keep your system as simple as possible. Don't try to be overly ambitious when you put systems in place! I'm a teacher and I have two folders now. Work in and work out.that includes admin stuff as well as marking. It actually helps me not to lose anything as it is all in the same place! Done or not done! Also try to clear your desk before you leave every night that helps loads!

I think it's definitely something you can learn and is something that I've gotten better at.

Emails were always my thing...I'd read them, then get caught up doing something else and completely forget about them.

Could you start either reading and replying, or if you don't have time/need longer to reply or action something from the email then mark it back as unread? That will then prompt you to look at it again as it looks as though it hasn't been read and you will know that you've not actioned the email?

I also made folders in my inbox so that once I knew an email wasn't needed any more (I'd either actioned it or it was general info) then I'd move it into the appropriate folder or delete it so then it was out of my inbox and out of my head!

xx

I think you can. I'm also a teacher, naturally disorganised but my pupils all think I'm the most organised person in the work. My thing is colour coding. I have a colour for each class, they get a small sticker at the top of their books with their class colour, I write my plans up in that colour, any homework handed in goes into a tray with the coloured label.

Also, lists. Instead of a daily to-do list, I have a rolling to do list. Urgent stuff gets written in red, everything else in black. I always try and clear my list by Friday, but some big things do roll over. I rewrite whatever hasn't been done by Friday onto a new one for Monday morning.

I also have a weekly countdown which I write in every "Monday" any deadlines I have thatmonth - I do this at the start of the year or as I find out about it. So I will will write "s1 reports - 4 weeks" then the due date in brackets. If there is a big clash, like two big things due in the same week, I highlight them too so I can see and plan for it.

I also set aside time each week for particular tasks. Its quite easy as I'm a teacher so I know where my free periods are, so I will spend say period 3 on a Tuesday marking jotters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->