Can you share your experience with your epidural?

nmmom813

Reaction score
First time mom here and nothing scares me more than the thought of getting an epidural. I couldn't tell you why it freaks me out so much but it really frightens me.

Can you please share your experience when you had your epidural? Was it painful? Helpful? Didn't do anything?

I'm trying to be hopeful but also realistic with all of this. Thank you so much ladies.

I was on syntocinon so had pretty painful contractions and after 30 hours of labour I was beat so got an epi. It didn't numb the contractions, I felt it all and wasn't believed so it wasn't resited. It did numb my legs so completely I couldn't move and my pelvic floor enough to mean I couldn't push and my boy was delivered by ventouse. Sorry but that's how it was. My second labour was 22 hours and a doddle in comparison because I had no pain relief. :)

I waited until I was 6 or 7 cm to get my epidural because I had to work to keep my labor going in the early stages. It hurt a little when they injected the topical pain relief but otherwise I didn't feel anything. The IV was way worse. At one point they had to increase the epidural medication because I started to feel contractions on the left side. By the time I started to push the medication had worn off enough that I could feel to push. I pushed for 4 hours because LO was descending slowly due to her presentation. LO was face up and crooked so I ended up having a ventouse delivery.
Overall my labor and delivery was horrible but the epidural really helped me through it.

My epidural was wonderful:thumbup:

All I felt was a quick pinch when they put it in. Didn't hurt at all and even if it did, it would have been worth it! I went from being in so much pain that I couldn't talk to being so relaxed that I was chatting and joking with OH, mom and the nurses. After getting my epi I truly enjoyed labour, I only knew I was having contractions from seeing them on the monitor didn't feel them at all. I could still feel my legs but they seemed very heavy. When it came time to push, I was able to no problem even though I couldn't feel anything. Unfortunately LO was face up with a big head and got very stuck and ended up with a EMCS. The doctor said epidural or not, I would never have been able to push him out, he was so stuck they even had a hard time getting him out in surgery.

I have to have c sections for any future births, but if I could have a vaginal birth I would have another epidural for sure.

First epidural they gave me too much and I thought I was going to die or be paralised forever, I couldn't even twitch my toe till the next day over 12 hours later.

Second epidural only worked down my right side so I felt everything down my left and it just made me feel uneven and more uncomfortable probably than if I hadn't had one so I am going to try go without this time. Try lol!

My epidural was fab I was told it would be best to have one due to high bp. Ill admit getting it in wasn't easy after 7 attempts she got it in these didn't hurt just felt odd she had to go higher as my spine was awkward! Once it was done it was fantastic, when I was fully dilated I could feel the pressure to push and she was out within an our with no assistance.

I loved my epi : )

It took them over an hour to get it into my back but it wasn't painful; the worst part was that they said they might not be able to give me one because they couldn't find a big enough gap between my vertebrae! They got it in eventually though and it was bliss.

They turned it off when I was fully dilated and wouldn't let me push for another two hours after that, so by the pushing stage I was perfectly able to feel what was going on, and didn't need any intervention.

I'm definitely getting one again this time : )

If you get the epi whilst in labour you won't feel a thing, i remember asking have you done it yet?! I didn't even know he had put the needle in.

It worked very well for me within about 20mins the pain was almost gone, don't be afraid of getting an epi there is really nothing to it IMO.

My epidural impaired my ability to push and caused severe problems in my labour.

I had an epidural cos my baby was distrssed and inteventions (c-section, instrumental) where a real possibility. I did end up with a c-section. I also had high BP and epidural helps lower BP, whether you want it to or not. I had no problem with it going in or once situated. I used gas and air during the procedure for contractions. Pain completly gone in 15minutes.

I had it about 7cm and didn't feel a thing, it was really quick, worked well and no side effects that I could feel. The anaethestist put a spinal block in and set up the epidural at the same time so he could come back and turn on the epidural after a couple of hours.

Mine worked for about half hour then stopped working, I felt everything, then I couldn't push properly, she was born sunny side up (back to back) and ended up with am episiotomy and vontouse, then couldn't get out of bed for about 12 hours as my right leg was completely numb. Wouldn't have one again :nope:

My epidural did not work. He couldn't find space in my back and had to redo it twice. The epidural itself wasn't painful just felt pressure. My BP dropped really low and I had to vomit. I was only numb on my upper thighs and felt everything. Contractions and pressure to push were really bad.

Well, I cried. A lot. But I'm a big baby! :haha:
Once I had it though, it was wonderful! Didn't feel anything at all! :D

I was induced and my contractions were full on from the start so i had a Epi and it did absolutely nothing. I felt every single contraction for over 12 hours. It ended in a CS but that had nothing to do with the Epi though.

Just keep in mind they can fail but most of the time I'm sure they do what they are supposed to do without any issues.

I'll just put it short and simple, it sucked. I had a homebirth with ds2 so no pain meds, and the pain of a natural childbirth was so managable. I won't have the epidural or any other medications again unless I actually need it.

Thank you all for being so real and honest with me. I'm hoping and praying for a totally natural birth experience-I have a pretty high pain tolerance and I'm pretty sure I can do it.

I just want to be as prepared as possible for every thing. I don't want to be the cause of a problem for the baby-I don't want to go into it with unrealistic expectations.

My Epi was administered but before they could pump the good stuff through it Bub was crowning so it wasn't used. the process was fine, they gave me a local so I didni't feel it much. I did get like electric shocks in my butt cheek a few times, told him about it and he adjusted the needle - hardest part was staying still during the contractions!!!!

With my second birth I found only the very end to be difficult and by then it would be too late for anything other than gas anyway. I strongly recommend hypnobirthing to get you through early labour. I really enjoyed those first 18-20 hours, just breathing through the contractions. When pushing came my body simply took over. It was very painful but a hundred times better than the hideousness of ventouse.

One word 'amazing' lol. Didn't hurt one bit and my labour was pain and complication free xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->