Can you spell Aoife any other way?

daisyday

Reaction score
I really love the name Aoife (Ee-fah) but we are just a bit concerned, as we aren't Irish, that people might not be able to read the name properly or pronounce it.

We don't want to give baby a name they which they constantly have to correct people about.

you could spell it lots of ways:

Eefah
Eefer
Yfah
Yfer
Ifah
Ifer
etc...

I had thought that but I didn't know if there was and official alternative spelling.

Eefah seems to be the best option x

^^ they all look like ridiculous typos :/

Eefah is ok, but personally I think Aoife is well known enough. Like Niamh.

I think people will know! I like the spelling aoife x

I think the name is getting common enough for people to know how to pronounce.

I think the other ways look weird maybe thats because I know Aoife..

I'd prefer Eifa though over any others x

I guess Eva would be the English equivalent although the pronunciation is a little different.

I am Irish so maybe that's why I think it would be ridiculous to name your baby on how the name is pronounced phonetically!! Sorry :(

If you like Aoife then I say go for it...I think part of the reason you like a name is probably the spelling too? I don't think it matters that you are not Irish...anyone can use a name and as someone else mentioned Aoife is quite well known now.

Hope that helps!

I think part of the reason Aoife is so pretty is the way that it is spelt so go for it :)

i personally think some of the spellings just look silly. Aoife is an irish name so dont be afraid to spell it how its meant to be spelt. its as common as muck where i am but i think its common elsewhere too, esp after The Saturdays Una named her DD Aoife Belle, so i doubt too many would find it difficult to pronounce. The English version of Aoife is Eva

I am Irish so maybe that's why I think it would be ridiculous to name your baby on how the name is pronounced phonetically!! Sorry :(

If you like Aoife then I say go for it...I think part of the reason you like a name is probably the spelling too? I don't think it matters that you are not Irish...anyone can use a name and as someone else mentioned Aoife is quite well known now.

Hope that helps!

i totally agree with you!!!!

we love Ceri, which is Welsh and i will spell it that way even though im Irish and here its spelled Kerry or Ciarrai

its as common as muck where i am but i think its common elsewhere too, esp after The Saturdays Una named her DD Aoife Belle,

I don't follow popular culture so this isn't something I had considered.

*crosses Aoife from my potential list* I've liked it for years.

its as common as muck where i am but i think its common elsewhere too, esp after The Saturdays Una named her DD Aoife Belle,

I don't follow popular culture so this isn't something I had considered.

*crosses Aoife from my potential list* I've liked it for years.

If you don't follow popular culture then why would you cross it off just because I think it's popular?

If you love a name, you just love it, it shouldn't matter if its popular. I don't think it's popular outside Ireland but I think it's well enough known not to have confusion pronouncing it, which is a good thing :shrug:

You will likely never be able to choose a name no celeb has. I love Finn, then when I did a bit of research I know a few famous mummy's who have a Finn but I don't care

I would hate to think that anyone thought I had chosen it because of The Saturdays, plus when I initially liked it part of the reason it had so much appeal was because it wasn't popular :)

I think the names nice as a whole & I'd choose the original spelling. The only thing that would put me off is that you had to put in brackets how its pronounced...& if people kept pronouncing my name wrong I'd be annoyed x

I think Aoife is really pretty :)

I think spelling it phonetically would seem..... I don't know how to say this, but "dummed down" in a way. I would stick to the normal way

I wouldn't have a clue how to pronounce that name from reading it and I had never heard of the name Niamh or its pronunciation until I joined this site 5 years ago. That aside, those who need to know how to say the name will either know it or learn it quite so I wouldn't worry too much iykwim. I do think its pretty :) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->