Canadian Home Birthers

Welcome ruaaur - If a homebirth is what you want, be prepared for people to try to sway you.. but don't let them. I am due Jan 29th and sooo excited for my home birth. :)

I only tell people about our plans who I am confident will be supportive or at least non-judgemental. This is why my mother knows, but not my mother-in-law :haha: (hubby is totally supportive of that).

The rest, I either flat-out lie or just lie by omission. I don't need any unwanted advice or negative opinions on the matter.

My mom is not happy with the idea of a home birth but she said, "I don't like it, but it's your baby and that's what matters".... :cloud9: I do love my mom for being nonjudgmental about what she doesn't believe in. My OH's family still doesn't know, LOL. We don't plan to tell them until later.

I have an NST booked in a few days for 41+3 though

Hello Ladies, I am also an Ontario home birth hopeful. I hope to have a waterbirth. I am due April 2, 2013. Its nice to hear positive feedback, stories and questions that I never would have though to ask. :)

Great news in BC! The Health Minister had officially recommended home births for low risk pregnancies!

https://www.timescolonist.com/touch/health/story.html?id=7481232

Great news in BC! The Health Minister had officially recommended home births for low risk pregnancies!

https://www.timescolonist.com/touch/health/story.html?id=7481232

Fantastic!! :)

I will show this to my mom (I'm originally from BC), she's sulking a bit about me having a home birth (she's here visiting actually), worried about hemorrhage etc. Well, I'm 40+5 now, afraid she might miss the birth anyways but I'll show her this.

Alison - Welcome! :)

Aliss - Start doing all the things they say will induce labour... I hear BDing is one of them! ;)

Gaiagirl - Woohoo! Way to go BC!!

Thanks! We did last night, but nothing at all!!! I feel like a seacow doing it now :rofl:

Aliss - Apparently spicy food, pineapple, lots of walking, nipple stimulation, drinking raspberry leaf tea, consuming castor oil and acupuncture will all help encourage LO to make an appearance!

And some of the less conventional ones I've heard of:
- Blowing up balloons: the theory is that the build up of abdominal pressure encourages labour to start.
- Bouncing on your birth ball or driving your car down a bumpy road would seem to put the same faith in shaking things up a little.
- Get a weepy video and have a good cry.
- Wear your best underwear(Murphy's law will ensure that your waters break in them).

:)

Thanks for that great list! I will start some of them tomorrow. I have a reflexology/massage appointment booked for 2:30pm. Murphy's law, I suppose, since that is something I'm really looking forward too!!! :rofl:

Balloons, I've done that all day LOL for my toddler!

I have to say, I'm jealous of you ladies! I would love a homebirth but I'm 45 mins- 1 hr away from a hospital, and it's just too far for my comfort. I'm a supporter though!

I have to say, I'm jealous of you ladies! I would love a homebirth but I'm 45 mins- 1 hr away from a hospital, and it's just too far for my comfort. I'm a supporter though!

My hospital, the one I am pre-registered at (just in case), is 45 mins away. That's the one where my MW has jurisdiction... so if there is any sign of problem she will transfer me sooner than later.

If there is a last minute emergency with baby, etc... there is another hospital 10 mins away. That gave me the peace of mind to go for it! :)

That's awesome lovealittle1! So glad you got your HBAC! What kinds of affirmations did you have on those flash cards, I like that idea :)

I am so close now, the nervous anticipation is taking over...I've been doing some hypno birthing exercises and just trying to stay calm and relaxed and positive! Wish it was my second time though so I knew what to expect, at least remotely. The unknown is the scary part!

Gaia-if you are interested on page 184 of my journal i listed some of my favorites but I probably had made about 30 cards. I really reccomend doing the cards. Even writing them out is helpful in itself.

Lalalalala.... I can't believe #2 is going later than #1 did. Thought that 2nd babies came earlier?? And #1 was a week late! lol.

My third was 12 days late. I finally asked my midwife to break my water because the rules here won't allow a homebirth beyond 42 weeks.
I think I'm going to start saying I am due in May so it doesn't seem like such a long wait this time.

Hang in there! :hugs: Any day now!

Lalalalala.... I can't believe #2 is going later than #1 did. Thought that 2nd babies came earlier?? And #1 was a week late! lol.

Well aliss, unless I start to feel SOMETHING I'll be joining you in the late club tomorrow! No twinges, no signs...arg!

Anyone still expecting in this thread?? I'm 28 weeks now :D and starting to get really excited for my home birth

Me!
Although I hope for not much longer :)

LOL! Thanks Marie!

I hope you're not expecting for too much longer either! I would love to hear your story after your little one gets here! How are you feeling?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->