Canadian Short Term Disability Question

Wnt2beAMom

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm asking just Canadians to answer since our Health care and everything is different here....

My OBGYN said last appointment that if my blood pressure is still high she will take me off work.

I don't want to use up my maternity benefits before baby is born really. I want the whole year with my baby...

Do you think if Dr is taking me off work I will get short term disability...and how will that work with maternity pay? Do I stay on STD until baby is born and then maternity pay kicks in?

Please..any advice is appreciated :)

You have it right, you'll stay on short term disability until your maternity leave kicks in, the payments will automatically transfer over and it doesn't affect how much maternity leave you get. I had to do so with my first and it was an easy transition.

That's right. I just went through this. You have it right. The only thing that I would add would be that maternity pay starts on the day that both you and the baby come home from hospital. This means that if baby is in hospital afterwards longer than you (i.e. NICU or special care nursery like my baby was) then you continue on with sick pay until your baby, and you, are discharged and your maternity pay would start at that time instead of on the delivery date. To do this though, you will need to bring your baby's discharge report from hospital to the nearest Service Canada after both of you are home. You complete the application online for sick leave and it leads directly into the applications for maternity and parental benefits so everything is completed at one time.

Also, to qualify for sick leave your doctor has to complete a medical certificate that must be brought into Service Canada. The form can be found online or you can go in person to Service Canada to pick it up for your doctor to complete.

I think you can take sick leave during pregnancy for up to 15 weeks, then mat leave kicks in :)

I think the other ladies have it covered for you :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->