Car Seat

Reaction score
After reading almost everywhere that the hospital won't let you home unless the baby is in a car seat and also that you can't buy second hand car seats, I am starting to worry a bit. You see, the OH and I don't drive, we don't own a car and hardly ever travel in one, so weren't planning on buying a new car seat, just a second hand one if any for the odd occasion we might get a lift somewhere. I don't fancy paying £100+ for something I will never use! :hissy:
Am I going to have to? Is there nothing else we could bring the baby home in? Obviously, babies safety comes before saving money so we would buy if there are no other options.
What are any of you other non drivers out there planning on doing/did you do?

You don't HAVE to buy a new car seat, it is just recommended. For the amount of times you will use it, second hand should be ok.

xxx

Im sure you can buy a car seat in woolworths for about £40! I would recommend getting one though you never know when you might need it!

x

there you go under £20 cant go wrong!!

https://www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/productdisplayA_56_10751_-1__9594_10001_

Im sure you can buy a car seat in woolworths for about £40! I would recommend getting one though you never know when you might need it!

x

Really!? £40! Thats quite cheap. I suppose it is worth getting just in case.

Just read your second post, I think I love you! Thanks hun xxx

If you're getting an unexpected lift for a short journey, or you are in a taxi, you don't need a car seat. And the hospital can't stop you from leaving, with or without a car seat!

i was told they could stop u leaving??

i am in this situation aswell, it just seems ridiculous buying a car seat when im not going to use it, i asked in mothercare (prob not the best place to ask haha) whether they would let me take the baby out of hospital in her pram and they said no...they did say that i shouldnt buy one of their car seats which made me believe them, said for the one use i should find a cheaper one so maybe they were right?

mother care have one for 50...you could keep one for just in case

Do you know any one with a baby, could you possibly lend one for a couple of hours x

I'm sorry, but NO ONE can stop you leaving a hospital, it's not a crime you're just discharging yourself and your baby. People go home on the bus and don't have a car seat, what can the hospital do about it? Call the police? You're not breaking the law. I left the hospital without a car seat (because it was in the car!).

oh really?? thats hopeful then, OH was saying i could get taxi home and he would walk her home in the pram, its only five mins, i just dont wanna walk after labour lol

Or if that fails then lie to them and say its all ready and fitted in the car.. what are they gonna do, come out and check every new mums car?? :dohh:

isn't it better to be safe than sorry and get one for the journey home if you are using a car? Walking a newborn home in freezing weather isnt' a good idea either. You could ask on freecycle if someone has one you could have or borrow if you don't need on regularly or money is an issue.

Even the shortest journey in a car can end in disaster - please dont' take a risk with your most precious possession!

But getting a 2nd hand one is taking a risk as well as you don't know it's history. I don't see anything wrong with taking a newborn outside if it's wrapped up well.

The hospital WILL let you go home without a carseat. Once you leave the hospital, your baby is your responsibility. So if anything did happen on the way home, it would be your fault. But they advise you to get a carseat, just to be on the safe side. But it's entirely your decision. x

On the information sheet I picked up when I toured the maternity ward it says you will not be allowed to leave without one, I guess different hospitals have different policies. It does seem ridiculous though that someone would have to buy a car seat just to leave the hospital!
I don't have a car and neither does my OH so he'll be in the pram either being walked or on buses most of the time but we're getting one anyway for journeys in family's cars.

i dont see the problem with walking the baby out in the cold either, i mean im not gna have her in just a vest am i? i dont have a car and i definitely wont be able to afford taxis everywhere so shes gna be out in the cold then, so long as shes wrapped up what is the harm??

If you're getting an unexpected lift for a short journey, or you are in a taxi, you don't need a car seat. And the hospital can't stop you from leaving, with or without a car seat!

I'm sorry but I couldn't disagree with you more. I do car seat inspections for my work and I know the stats on injuries with babies that are buckled wrong let alone ones that aren't buckled at all. Every baby should be in the appropriate child restraint system when in a motor vehicle that allows for a car seat to be placed. As stated before..these babies are precious..why risk an injury?? Second hand car seats can be used as long as you know the history ie: how old it is, has it been in a crash, did it expire etc. As far as the hospital policies..I believe they differ from place to place. I know it seems rediculous to pay a lot for a seat but we spend the same amount on toys, cute little outfits etc..why not spend it on something that may save your child's life even it is only used every now and then...or find out the history and get one second hand or borrow one from someone. Sorry for the rant, but I am very passionate about child safety.

I do agree with you, I just wanted to know if there was any other option. I will end up buying a cheaper car seat, purely because I cannot afford to buy an expensive one. In your experience, would the ones mentioned on the first page, for only £20, be safe for very occasional journeys? Surely they cannot sell products that are not safe?
I don't see a problem with taking a newborn home in a pram btw, especially if its only a 5 minute journey, it takes about that long to walk from the hospital to the car at our local hospital! Unfortunately I live too far from the hospital for this to be an option.
Another question, how do you take babies in taxi's? If I was to go to the supermarket and was getting the bus there, taxi back, I couldn't take a car seat with me. What would I do in this situation.
Its only now that I realise how little I know... PANIC!!!

Legally, if it's an unexpected lift over a short journey or you are in a hire car such as a taxi you do not need a car seat. It's maybe not the best idea in the world, but it is the law - and I was told this by a police officer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->