Car Seat

Legally, if it's an unexpected lift over a short journey or you are in a hire car such as a taxi you do not need a car seat. It's maybe not the best idea in the world, but it is the law - and I was told this by a police officer.

You were told this by a police officer??? My DH is a police officer and it is part of the Motor Vehicle Act here in Canada...so much so that our Dept.of community services has made car seats free of charge to low income families so their children will be safe.
Krissie... all car seats go through a series of testing before being available on the market so yes even the cheaper ones are safe. Not to say seats don't have defects though. Here in Canada you can go on the transport Canada website and it has a list of recalls for seats. You simply find the seat by looking up the serial number. It can be as simple as the french version of the manual was not sent or something big like the straps are defective. The website tells you how to remedy the defect or the number of the manufacturer so they can send you the appropriate fix. That is why it is always important to send in our warranty cards so that if there is a defect..the manufacturer will automatically send you the fix or contact you. As far as your trips to the market.. as much of a hassle as it may be...I would take the seat. Some seats come in a very handy carrying bag...if only we were an octopus!! It would be a bit easier to handle though. Good luck hun. Anymore questions feel free to pm me.

I was pretty sure that I read somewhere that some taxi firms can provide a car seat free of charge if you book in advance/know the company well. I wouldn't feel safe taking a kid in a taxi without a car seat, but thats just my opinion. Never mind the legal implications - its about safety, no?

If you aren't going to use one then don't buy one - i'm sure someone can lend you one, or phone some taxi companies to see what they can do! hope it goes well.

https://www.childcarseats.org.uk/law/index.htm

hi, just thought i'd help out to show both dee and marley are right...dee, in the uk as you can see from link above the law allows children under 3 to ride in taxi in back seat without proper car seat restraints...canadian law must be different
x

Not to cause a big debate about this, but I am a Police officer in the UK......you CANNOT take a baby in a car without having him/her in some kind of seat or restraint.

from the link posted above "There are three exceptions where there is not a child seat available. In each case the child MUST use the adult belt instead" so this shows that although you do not have to have a specific seat, the child HAS to be restrained somehow. Obviously, you cannot use an adult belt for a newborn, so therefore, they must have a child seat.

I have lost count of the number of people I have stopped & fined because they were travelling in a car with their baby in their arms. Not only is it against the law, but it's just unsafe. I won't go into the number of crashes I have dealt with where children have been hurt (badly) because of not being restrained properly.

As I said, I don't want to upset anyone, but partly due to my job, I feel VERY strongly about this.

Not to cause a big debate about this, but I am a Police officer in the UK......you CANNOT take a baby in a car without having him/her in some kind of seat or restraint.

Thats not correct.

In a licensed taxi or licensed hire car, if a child restraint is not available then the child may travel unrestrained in the rear. This is the only exception for children under 3, and has been introduced for practical rather than safety reasons. You should always think about ways to make sure that a child seat is available.

Also the driver is responsible for unrestrained minors so i imagine a taxi could refuse to take you if you have no car seat.

Personally i don't think this exception should be in place. I don't think you can put a price on a childs life. It only takes one time and it doesn't have to be the driver in your car that causes the accident.

Personally i would never buy second hand unless it was from a very trusted friend and you knew the history of the seat but even then i would only do it if i was very strapped for cash and it was a case of that or nothing.

We drive so have obviously always had a car seat. And yes the MW did come out and check we had one when we were discharged with my 2nd lo!

i dont see the problem with walking the baby out in the cold either, i mean im not gna have her in just a vest am i? i dont have a car and i definitely wont be able to afford taxis everywhere so shes gna be out in the cold then, so long as shes wrapped up what is the harm??

Brand new babies aren't very good at regulating their temperature. If they get too cold they use energy stores to keep warm which in turn makes them sleepy. They need to eat to get more energy but they dont b/c theyre sleepy. Its a vicious cycle which I wouldn't risk.

^^^ I meant in a private car. And as you say, seeing as the taxi driver would be responsible, they could be stopped & fined - so it's highly unlikely a taxi will take you with no child seat.

Oh i see sorry! Assumed you meant any car as the op was talking about getting a taxi home. My apologies x

Well I guess it will be a case of online shopping every week then! There would be no physical way of me carrying a car seat and pushing a pram on my own at the same time. I just wonder how other people in my situation cope?
I will be buying a new car seat, just to clear up any confusion, albeit a cheap one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->