Career ideas please :)

Piggywinkle

Reaction score
Sooo... after giving up work to be a SAHM, my thoughts are now turning to what I'd like to do when LO goes to school. To say I'm confused would be an understatement!

Basically, I'd like to do something where I could be my own boss (or allowed to work as flexibly as possible) in a career where I'd get a regular, decent wage. I always wanted to go into teaching, but a few teacher friends I have tell me not to do it, as they're completely put on in their jobs, so it's back to the drawing board.

Any ideas ladies? I have a full driving licence, no criminal convictions and an English degree if that helps!

Erm, childminder? As in an offsite registered one? Maybe you could do an open university course in something while you're a Sahm? X

Registered childminder - you'd pick your own hours, holidays etc! It's something I have kinda looked into.

We live in a privately-rented property so I wouldn't be allowed to run a business here as part of our lease :(

Teaching/classroom assistant? This is what I'm thinking about doing eventually.

How about teaching through another route and becoming a private tutor?

How about teaching through another route and becoming a private tutor?

I used to do this and enjoyed it immensely until I was set up for a visit to someone's house to give a girl some English tuition (specifically requested a female tutor) and there was a lone man there with other ideas. Put me off for life as I've never felt safe going to someone's house alone ever again.

Teaching/classroom assistant? This is what I'm thinking about doing eventually.

I'm not sure about working in a school at all now to be honest - there's just too many scare stories about people off with long term stress and massive workloads.

I am just soooo fussy but I want a job that I can potentially enjoy for the rest of my working life, I just have no idea what job that might be.

Could you not tutor but at your own home, that way you won't need childminding, or a venue such as a public library in a wee room.

I can't conduct any kind of business from home unfortunately, we privately rent and it's a condition of our lease :(

As for renting a room, the only library near me doesn't have any rooms to hire out and the local community/leisure centre charges £30 per hour. :( :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->