Carrier help.

mummy_mi

~*Mum to Chloe*~
Reaction score
Okay so now that Chloe is bigger (7lb 5oz!) I'm looking to start babywearing but I dont know where to start and it suddenly dawned on me that there isnt a baby carrier review thread on here!!

I think it would be great if there could be a sticky one like the cloth nappy review thread to help guide newbies to babywearing, does anyone else think it would be a good idea?

Or even just as a normal thread, it would be nice to know what people think of the different types and how it suits them, as I know I want something easy to put on, as few buckles and straps as possible but I am 5'9, have a bit of a big bust and am on the larger side so I'm sure some of them wouldnt suit me and Chloe.

Basically I want something for mainly when at home, as Chloe wakes and feeds every 2 hours during the day unless I hold or carry her, then she goes much longer, so I was thinking if I could put her in a carrier, whilst she's sleeping I can get on and do things round the house, I'd also use it when nipping out to the shop but for longer trips I would be using the pram. I'm not sure which type of carrier gives you more freedom to do things like hoovering, washing etc, a ring sling type or a connecta type!!

Any help would be grand thanks or even the best babywearing/carrier selling website would be great as there is so many I'm stuck! x

Hugs to Sezzle for starting one up and for adding her millions of carrier reviews!! Am off to go look at them all! x

Ring slings are good because theyre easy to put on but some babies dont like lying or sitting in them and they dont distrobute the weight evenly so you might struggle to carry her for longer periods. They also dont really suit older babies.

As she gets bigger a meitai style carrier might be better (easy to put on, even weight distrobution and with jiggling you can breast feed in them) - like a connnecta, baby hawk etc. These will take you right up to toddler. Theyre less versitile as far as choices of carries though.

A wrap (woven such as ellaroo/calin bleu gauze/digimo, or stretchy such as close baby/moby) gives you a lot of choice re-different carries (front, back, hip, sling, breastfeeding) but can be a fiddle to put on and off. Theyre the best for adjustability and probably the easiest to feed hands free in but they wouldnt suit you if you want something to quickly put on. They take practice to get the hang of. If you wanted to go for one of those a woven wrap is good for bigger babies/toddlers as there is less 'give' in the material. It does mean you often have to retie the wrap to put the baby back in it though. Stretchy wraps have more give in the fabric so it is possible to get the baby in and out without needing to re-tie but the counter arguement is that with bigger kiddies they stretch and so they can feel less secure and give you a bit less choice with some of the wraps because the material is less taught.

Hope that helps xxx

There are so many! It is confusing! I had a baby carrier last time, but I didn't like how he sat in it or the masses of straps and buckles... I couldn't put it on by myself and you couldnt bfd in it. It was the biggest waste of money ever, I really don't want to waste the cash again.... I think I would like a ring sling this time, at least for the newborn stage... and then a mei tai after that? But really not sure.... So the review thread is excellent!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->