cashing cheques made to mr and mrs

missk1989

Reaction score
Me and hubby got married yesterday! :happydance: We asked for donations towards a honeymoon istead of gifts and people have been so generous! one cheque has been made to mr and mrs hall but we dont have a joint bank account. Could we just bank it in his account or do we have to open a joint one?
Thank

Should be able to pay it into his. We had Mr & Mrs cheques & although the account was joint, it was in my maiden name and we didn't have any problems.

Congratulations, hope you had a fabulous day! x

You will have to either open a joint bank account or ask the sender to rewrite the cheque.

We got a cheque in joint names and we don't have a joint bank account. The bank wouldn't allow the cheque to be paid into DH's account even though I was with him at the bank & had photographic ID on me.

When I worked for a bank, the rule was joint cheques had to go to a joint account.

When we got married we didn't have a joint account and they wouldn't accept the mr and mrs cheque had to get the person to rewrite the cheque

When we got married last year they accepted all our cheques into our joint account which was in my maiden name. They all had my new surname on and there must have been 10+ of them

Joint cheque have to be paid into joint accounts for fraud reasons. The account must also be in the same name as ur cheque or have your certificate their for proof. Again for fraud reasons.

^^ I used to work as a bank cashier.

Oh and Congrats!! X

Congratulations! I imagine it would need to be in a joint account!

We got a MR & Mrs check made out in my maiden name just before we got married. I am with RBS and it was put into my own account. no joint account needed xx

Joint cheque have to be paid into joint accounts for fraud reasons. The account must also be in the same name as ur cheque or have your certificate their for proof. Again for fraud reasons.

Doe this vary from bank to bank? Our joint account has my maiden name on it (still does) yet Mr & Mrs cheques were paid in with no problem and I didn't have to produce my marriage certificate either.

Doe this vary from bank to bank? Our joint account has my maiden name on it (still does) yet Mr & Mrs cheques were paid in with no problem and I didn't have to produce my marriage certificate either.

It shouldn't and I would personally say that it was cashier error as a lot of time that tends to be the only point where it can be prevented

It shouldn't and I would personally say that it was cashier error as a lot of time that tends to be the only point where it can be prevented

We got a joint one when we bought our house and it had to be rewritten. Ive also had one that has had my last name spelt wrong and they accepted it!

We got a joint one when we bought our house and it had to be rewritten. Ive also had one that has had my last name spelt wrong and they accepted it!

Depends on how badly it was spelt. I have let cheque pass that had incorrect spelling but I used my own judgment and a bit of common sense tbh.
Incorrect names or joint into sole was a zero tolerance

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->