Cats...

KS1977

Reaction score
Anyone here have advice on how to introduce pet cat to the new arrival? I am actually quite nervous about bringing baby home cos you hear stories of your pet cat sitting on the baby and smothering them. I purchased one of those cat net things to go onto Moses basket and prams etc, but I'm still worrying about it. What have any of you ladies who have had children and cats done in the past to ensure bubs Is safe, other than just totally banning the cat from the room baby is in. I don't want to have to resort to totally shifting the cat into another room as I don't think it's fair.

Thoughts and suggestions greatly appreciated thanks xx

We have a water pistol, big cat hates it, little cat is a bit thick and just chases the water... We let them in the nursery and a firm no and holding them down by the scruff if they go on/in something for baby does the trick. They're learning slowly!
Get bits out so they get used to seeing it and knowing it's out of bounds hopefully it should bore them when LO comes and they've realised babies don't play!!

Our cats are not going to be allowed in the bedroom from end of February as I just know they'd try to snuggle up with LO. They are also going to be kept out of the nursery when LO is in there, probably with a baby gate.

I don't know about anyone else but our three are REALLY playing up (weeing places, crying all the time, tearing about like idiots) at the moment and I've been told it is because they can sense the impending change and will be stressed by the new furniture/house arrangements. If this is the case I'm thinking better to get changes out of the way before LO arrives so they can settle down again....because right now they are stressing me out! :(

I don't know about anyone else but our three are REALLY playing up (weeing places, crying all the time, tearing about like idiots) at the moment and I've been told it is because they can sense the impending change and will be stressed by the new furniture/house arrangements. If this is the case I'm thinking better to get changes out of the way before LO arrives so they can settle down again....because right now they are stressing me out! :(

Yes! My two whine all the time, little one pees everywhere even though she has her own tray! Cats!!!!! >.<

I'm glad it isn't just mine (not that I'd wish them on anyone right now). I wish I could turf them out to get a few hours peace but they've always been house cats. Right now they've all gone back to bed with DH and it is blissful.

Maybe I should tranq them 'til after LO comes. :rofl:

Well i have always had cats with all of my children but have been pretty scrict with my cats. They generally just sleep in the hall and are not allowed into bedrooms. I assume your baby will be in with you at night so just keep your bedroom door closed. I have never had my cats go up on tables or surfaces so thats never been an issue. As for naps..if you keep baby with you in a moses basket and just be vigilant to where your cat is.

We were discussing this the other day

https://www.babyandbump.com/pregnan...-advice-regarding-cats-update-first-page.html

This is a good read too ..

https://www.messybeast.com/cat_baby.htm

If you feel you need to prepare your cat for the baby's arrival, start now to allow time for it to sink in (locking them out of certain bedrooms for example).

Regarding the smothering thing, there's no evidence cats smother babies. Maybe the baby had died from sids and the cat has laid next to it and just been found there and blamed.

...oh and i wouldnt hesitate moving the cat from where baby is if it bothers you. Baby comes first!

https://www.babyandbump.com/pregnancy-second-trimester/pregnancy...ding-cats.html

If you feel you need to prepare your cat for the baby's arrival, start now to allow time for it to sink in (locking them out of certain bedrooms for example).

Regarding the smothering thing, there's no evidence cats smother babies, why would they. Maybe the baby had died from sids and the cat has laid next to it and just been found there and blamed.

Actually, if cats are used to comfy places..they will sleep anywhere and what would be nicer than cuddling up next to your warm new born baby?..esp if they smell of milk. I would advise anyone to be cautious with cats. Better safe than sorry. A cat will not intentionally smother your baby, but it will find a cosy place to sleep and could sleep on your baby..like a cushion. A newborn baby hasnt the strength to push a cat off..hence the smothering. Dont take the chance and be vigilant. Remember cats can also scratch.

Oh and from a cat website:

Cats smother babies
While extremely rare it can happen. I have heard of two cases, one resulting in a fatality, the other resulting in a near miss. [1] However, there are several cases of parents accidentally smothering babies in their sleep. Care should always be taken to ensure a cat does not have access to a sleeping baby.

It probably is rare because its easily prevented. x

i've put the baby bed out and he learned it's not for him, he loves to explore the baby room and all the stuff though, sniffing at everything, i let him do that, he has to get used to it. bc mine is good with words and commands i teach him those too. the baby stuff is "bed baby" "toy baby" "seat baby" and his stuff we refer to as "bed Milo" "food milo" ...sounds dumb and all, but whatever, if it works that's all i care about lol

i've also bought a cheap plastic doll, now it's just sleeping in the bed and he's not allowed to go near it if it's in the bed.
later on, as we will have more things set up we'll go over a baby routine so he's used to that too. (nappy change, bath time) only bc i know my cat, he is VERY curious and will come and sniff at everything, want to grab it etc, he needs to learn he can only sit and watch, but cannot interrupt me LOL

and he is being a handful idd with all the changes going on... i thought maybe it was the new cat on the block that's been around the house but who knows.
the vet gave me feliway vaporizer to plug in to calm him down, it does help actually! i never believed in the stuff but i have to reconsider.

he's had cuddly moments before, but never like this:
https://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y291/Shimaey2/CIMG1927.jpg

https://www.babyandbump.com/pregnan...y-second-trimester/pregnancy...ding-cats.html

Regarding the smothering thing, there's no evidence cats smother babies, why would they. Maybe the baby had died from sids and the cat has laid next to it and just been found there and blamed.

Actually, if cats are used to comfy places..they will sleep anywhere and what would be nicer than cuddling up next to your warm new born baby?..esp if they smell of milk. I would advise anyone to be cautious with cats. Better safe than sorry. A cat will not intentionally smother your baby, but it will find a cosy place to sleep and could sleep on your baby..like a cushion. A newborn baby hasnt the strength to push a cat off..hence the smothering. Dont take the chance and be vigilant. Remember cats can also scratch.

It depends on the cat too. Not all cats curl up next to humans. Most cats are scared of new entrants in a home and will avoid them. Most cats are scared of new babys brought home and will avoid them

Everyone knows their cat and what they will need to be especifically vigilent about with their cats, bearing in mind their own cats behaviour and personality.

I will definitely be getting a cat net just in case!

What a gorgeous picture. I am a cat woman, love my 2 boys and when we adopted them we think they were given up as the previous owners had a baby because Alfie was terrified of a baby crying and hid. Luckily we have had quite a few friends who have had babies and children of different ages and so they have got use to babies crying, pulling tails etc and are so much better which is a relief.

In my baby book it said you should let them smell things in the nursery and when you leave, they leave, they are not allowed to curl up anywhere as its not a room for them to sleep in. When baby is born and you are still in hospital hubbie should bring something from the hospital home with babies smell on it. When baby comes home you should lay it down and introduce the cats to baby so they can see and smell it (baby will smell of you so they should be ok) when baby is asleep you should make a big fuss of the cats as they can feel really left out.

I am hoping, praying and crossing EVERYTHING that we have no problems as I really do love my cats and am sooo excited about baby so want a happy (and as a peaceful home) as possible :flower:

All the cats ive had have hated newborns! All im really saying is its not worth taking chances. Although a cat is a well loved member of your family, your baby takes priority i would think and although i agree, most cats dont like babies, its just not worth risking it by thinking it will never happen. x

completely agree, we are never ever going to leave them alone and just be extra vigilant xx

^^ ditto

also, something i'm wondering about.
i was planning to let OH bring home my tshirt or yammies i gave birth in, plus the vest baby had worn the first day (they don't wash them here the first day).

anyway, some say you should bring home a diaper from baby.
but i can't help but think, wouldn't this cause more territorial issues in the cat instead???

Thanks for your replies ladies. At the moment the cat is forever fidgeting around my legs and I don't know why but her clingy behaviour is really starting to bug me. I am quite short with her actually at times. I don't allow her onto the settee that I sit at, but unfortunately OH let's her onto where he sits. She knows she is not to go into any other room but kitchen and living room, but sometimes when the door is open to the stairs and dining room, she makes a mad dash for the room as if she knows it's wrong, but she likes the chase... Little madam lol. We don't let her upstairs or in any of the bedrooms and she knows if I shout I mean it. My main worry is if I fall asleep with little bubs in Moses basket whilst she's there but I suppose I could just shut her in the kitchen when I'm feeling sleepy x

We've put the cot up today and started moving the nursery room into it's final position so am letting them look at all the stuff at the moment. I will be getting a cat net for sure. I do not think my cats would hurt LO deliberately but they love curling up with people/each other/the dog so they would with the baby too. The boys are not easily scared, just very curious.

I wouldn't ever leave LO alone with them, or the dog for that matter (and I couldn't trust an animal any more than I trust her).

I think it's only common sense to never, ever leave a LO or small child alone with any pet even if they have a good reputation with children. My plan is to never let our cat into the nursery at all and just leave it at that. She has a few banned rooms already and she seems especially drawn to them but it's rare that she manages to get in. However, we're probably moving cross country before the baby arrives and I'm a bit worried because that will be two hugely stressful events for our cat. And we won't be getting nursery items until we get at the new house. At least it will be easier to set certain rooms aside as being banned.

My cat doesn't particularly care for children. The few that come over love to chase her around and she just hides. Even when cornered she hasn't lashed out but we have rescued her because we don't want her to get to that point where she feels that she has to. Overall, she's a nice cat (not aggressive) but she does have some pluck and can be grumpy so I'm not sure how she'll be when our kids get to the tail-pulling phase. I guess my kids will learn quick that you don't do that. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->