Cedric

craquinette

Expecting #3
Reaction score
hi all,

what do you all think of the name Cedric?

I already have a little boy named Charlie. Even though the name fits him really well, I regret chosing it as it is so popular here in Australia (I had no idea before he was born, I am french and in France, it's really not that common...) and I actually really dislike the fact that it is unisex.
So I'll try to avoid making the same mistakes for my second boy...

Other names I like (and that work both in English and French) are Lucas, Thomas, Hugo or Olivier (french version of Oliver). Unfortunately they are all pretty high on the popularity list so even if I really like some of them, I'll probably avoid them :(

Thanks for your opinion, and any other idea welcome :)

I don't think I've ever known anyone with the name, I'm not sure how I feel about it honestly. It makes me immediately think of Cedric Diggory (Harry Potter) and Cedric the Entertainer. Not necessarily bad associations but they're strong ones given the uniqueness of the name (at least where I am).

I really like Cyril as a similar alternative, which should work in French?

Thanks for your opinion staralfur!
It's so hard because Cedric is a very normal name in France, so I don't think people would immediately think of Cedric Diggory or Cedric the Entertainer (no idea who that is to be honest! But perhaps Australians would.. I'll have to check with my partner!). But as we are in Australia, that is something I have to consider...

Cyril is not a bad idea at all! And yes, definitely works in French too :)

I definitely think of Cedric Diggory, but honestly I love the name!! My sister took claim on it though haha.

I think Cedric is lovely :) I also really like Olivier.

Thanks. Olivier is probably my favorite but Oliver is so popular that I'm really hesitant to use it. Will probably use it as a middle name though :)

Im Australian and really like it! but straight away thought of Cedric Diggory from Harry Potter. (The books and films are wildly popular here so I'm sure many people would probably associate it) :)

The books and films are also very popular in France but because the name is not strange there, people wouldn't make the association straight away. It's not a bad reference though, better than say Draco haha! I don't want to let this bother me though, I really like the name. And my partner is pretty keen too, although his hesitation is more on the fact that he thinks it's a bit weird. Which actually should really be a bonus, his firstname is super common and he told me he always tried to come up with nicknames to differenciate from the million other guys with the same name. so having a different name should be even more appealing haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->