Centiles

pinkneon

Birth mommy xx
Reaction score
My little princess is on the 25th centile for her weight and height ... But the 50th for her head! Is it normal form preemies to have big heads?? Or maybe she's gonna be intelligent?! :haha:

(First bit deleted as wrong) I am sure I read somewhere that preemies heads grow first, then their length and then they fill out. Not sure if thats correct though.

I also think it depends whether your HV can plot it correctly and if they are doing it on the right chart - which mine arent so they have her as something completely different which is nonsense! lol. The above is what the hospital told us.

ETA - I have got mixed up...... Jessica is on the 50th centile for her head, between the 0.4th and 2nd centile for her weight and is below the centiles (off the chart) for her height.

YES! When Leo was on the neonatal unit, it took him AGES to get to 3lb, but his head grew 1cm every week! When he had no clothes on he looked VERY top heavy bless him even when he came home, I'd say he was 5/6 months before he evened out a bit :)

Are they marking her back? That might have an affect on it.

Im so glad its not just mine!

Harry is under the 0.4th percentile for his weight and his head is 91st!!!!

My boy has a massive head, clearly its for all of his brains xxx

Nobody ever measures Millie's head, should they be? They did not even measure it when she was born as she was too unstable, they did it a few weeks after as I remember one of the NNU nurses told me it was the same size as a box of dairylea.....not the kind of comparison you forget easily! That was the last, and only, time it was done to my knowledge!!

The only reason they did Harry's was because the HV was worried about and i quite 'his large head'!

None of the other prems have had theirs done x

Erikah's is being done because the HV wants to do it I guess ...! I think it might have something to do with the fact that she's always got her head on one side and doesn't turn it. Poor baby needs to have physio :(

Are they marking her back? That might have an affect on it.

Erm ...????????????

If you have a look at the chart in her red book (might be a different colour) They should plot her weight as her actual age and then their should be a line going back how ever many weeks early she was. They should use the adjusted centile

Jessica's head was only measured because we had her '8 week check' at the HV last week. xx

Yes! Massive head always on the 50th centile for us, but weight and length at one point dropped off the bottom of the chart. He's catching up though and weight and length has gone up to between 25th and 50th centile. :)
The growth spurts are totally amazing - in one week we could feel his back had gotten much longer and suddenly everything that was too long didn't fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->