Cervical checks

bclaytonsc

Reaction score
When does your OB typically start cervix checks at your appointments?

I'll be 35 weeks Monday!

Not a helpful response, but I just found this interesting as we don't do routine cervical checks here in Australia (at least not in the public hospital system). My cervix only got checked about 14 hours into my labour with my first, and with my second it got checked at around 37 weeks but only after several periods of reduced movements, along with a scan showing low fluid levels around baby (& they were checking to see if I was dilated at all ahead of being induced).
Now pregnant with third, and wouldnt expect them to check my cervix unless in labour (or if there were any complications ahead of labour).

Do they use a speculum everytime they do a cervix check?

It's not something I had happen until I was past my due date, certainly wasn't routine - I'm in Scotland.

I've had no checks.
Probably won't untill my induction on Saturday unless they check on Wednesday at my consultant appointment. But think it will be Saturday.

Not unless they’re offering a membrane sweep, there’s no reason to check your cervix unless you’re having regular preterm contractions.

I’m in the US. My cervix was checked at all of my third trimester prenatal appointments. I don’t recall them using a speculum, just literally checked with their fingers. Just to be sure I’m talking about the same thing, I’m referring to when they check your dilation and effacement. It’s pretty standard practice around here to check during third tri, but we also only have 3 appointments in tri 3 spaced 4 weeks apart.

Like @KatBar said in Australia there is no routine cervical checks unless in labour or complications.

Another US momma, I was checked at 37w and then for each of my sweeps at 38. But I asked to be checked because I'm a nosey Nancy. (induced at 39w with my two younger)

Seems it is a much more common practice in the US! Thank you ladies for all of your responses.

Not a helpful response, but I just found this interesting as we don't do routine cervical checks here in Australia (at least not in the public hospital system). My cervix only got checked about 14 hours into my labour with my first, and with my second it got checked at around 37 weeks but only after several periods of reduced movements, along with a scan showing low fluid levels around baby (& they were checking to see if I was dilated at all ahead of being induced).
Now pregnant with third, and wouldnt expect them to check my cervix unless in labour (or if there were any complications ahead of labour).

Do they use a speculum everytime they do a cervix check?

They do not, just a check with fingers to check for dilation and effacement!

I meet with my ob this Wednesday at 35+2, so I will be asking her about this then. I believe she will start checking at 37 weeks.

I’m in the US too and will have my first cervix check at 36 weeks and they also do the GBS swab then. Same with my previous two kiddos. They won’t sweep until after 37 weeks though. And my doctor prefers to not sweep until 38 weeks

I got checked after 38 weeks and this was only for the purpose of getting a sweep done !

England here too

I’m in the US too and will have my first cervix check at 36 weeks and they also do the GBS swab then. Same with my previous two kiddos. They won’t sweep until after 37 weeks though. And my doctor prefers to not sweep until 38 weeks

You're just 2 days ahead of me! I am 35+1. So exciting.

Just an update ladies -

My ob did my first cervical check today since she was already "down there" to swab for Group B Strep.

I am 50% effaced and .5 cm dilated at 35 weeks, which apparently is "very favorable for labor" for a first time mom!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->