Cervix self checking

MyFavSurprise

Reaction score
I haven't had any exams yet from my midwife but am super curious what's going on down there.. So last night I got my fiance to check my cervix for me (I can't reach :() he said it felt like a big dome, no cervix sticking out like usual, but like baby's head..and then of course freaked out because he said it moved :haha: He couldn't find the hole to see if there was any dilation..im also curious if I'm somewhat dilated from giving birth before to see where I'm starting from..

Anyway, does anyone know if it could be baby's head that low this early? Or is it not early for him to be there?

I wouldn't go poking around down there Hun.
Here in the uk they don't examine routinely and only do examinations if they think you are in labour, or you are getting a sweep and are overdue.

The danger in cervix checking is in medical professionals who touch all kinds of other people and medical equipment putting their (albeit) gloved fingers in your vagina. They can transmit bacteria and germs from person to person. Also, if your water has broken there IS a definite risk of infection to you and your baby, so if you have reason to believe your waters aren't intact, don't check yourself! Think about it. If your OH can go messing about down their during sex, there is no reason why he can't do so to check things out.

Anyways...

I checked my cervix myself during my last pregnancy. It's totally fine to do, just make sure that your hands are clean and that your nails aren't long and scraggly. You could definitely be feeling the baby's head above/behind your cervix, but if you can't feel your cervix on your own, it's probably not THAT low.

As above, as long as you are gentle and hands very clean, it's your body and I think its empowering to know what's going on with your own body. I think your finger is cleaner/ gentler than your partners willy anyway!
Anyway I have tried to find my cervix twice, I either cant reach or its too far back. Im just curious as well, they don't do internals here til you're in labor either

Yeah I've figured if you can have sex safely then it can't be too hazardous..I checked myself regularly last pregnancy without issue, but this time I can't reach.. definitely made him cut his nails and wash his hands! My midwife also checked me regularly last pregnancy but I guess things are different this time around.. im big on self checking even when not pregnant.. I think my next appointment they will do an internal exam.

So when baby is close to coming my cervix will not only be rounded but lower? That makes sense! Yeah its definitely high, I can't feel it at all and ive never had trouble finding it before.. though the large belly could be part of the trouble :D

Yeah I think during most of pregnancy it is high and posterior and closer to term it becomes low and anterior :)

I self-checked last pregnancy. I'd rather check than the doctor! I don't understand why women are hesitant.... It's your body, no one else's....

Anyway it's probably loads further back than the dome of baby's head. Mine was waaaay far back and I had to squat to be able to reach, it was waaaay posterior. But so nice to be aware without depending on awkward checks that really aren't even necessary except to appease curiousity.

hmm squatting, next on my list of things to try! I'm pretty sure he wasn't sure what he was feeling for.

My cervix is way back anyway, they always comment on this when I have a smear test. Never checked it myself, never felt the need to 😊

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->